Amount per package?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryRed

Senior Cook
I'm baking several hundred cookies this weekend and I need to buy lots of ingredients. I've combined all the recipes I'm using and come up with a total for cups of flour, sugar, etc. My question is this: how many cups are in a typical (5-lb) bag of each? Is there an easy way to estimate how many cups it takes to equal a pound? I don't want to buy too little and have a crisis at the last minute!

I need to figure this out to come up with 33 cups of flour and 13 cups of granulated sugar. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance. SO much!

:chef:

Cherry, 1 cup of unsifted all-purpose flour weighs 5 ounces. The same cup of sifted all-purpose flour weighs 4 ounces, cake flour (unsifted) is 4 ounces, (sifted) is 3 1/2 ounces. As for sugar, 1 cup of granulated sugar weighs 7 ounces, 1 cup of dark/light brown sugar weighs 8 ounces, 1 cup of powdered sugar weighs 4 ounces.

I cook using a scale and these are the measurements I use. I've never had a recipe failure using these measurements. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Look on the bag(s) ... it/they will give you an approximate volume per weight equivalent per bag. Look on the "nutrition information" panel ... it will tell you how many volume units at x weight are in each bag.

That's close. My bag of King Arthur AP flour says 5 pounds = approx. 19 cups. It's all in how you fill the cups.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom