Ancho/Poblano Pepper Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I am growing Ancho peppers in my garden this year. Well actually that is part of my question. They are labeled Ancho, but I was under the impression that Ancho peppers were dried Poblanos so shouldn't they have been labeled Poblano since they don't grow dried already?

OK the second question I have is how large and I supposed to let them get before I pick them? Right now they are about an inch or so. The largest one is probably no bigger than an inch and a half. They look about the same size as a habanero. Do they get any bigger? I read somewhere that these are great for chili rellenos, but I can't imagine that if this is as big as they get.

Poblanos are great for stuffing! We get them at the local mercado because they are so much cheaper. The plant is sometimes referred to as "ancho" (as well as the dried version), but the fruit is called poblano. They should be about 3 inches diameter and may get to be about 5 inches long. They're better than anaheims because they are thicker and hold up better for stuffing. (Although when we can get Hatch chiles, we load up.)Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom