"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-28-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to goodgiver
Anchovy substitution

Can a person substute sardines for anchovies? If so do you clean them first of the mustard and/oil and bones or what ?

Old 08-28-2006, 05:57 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I haven't had sardines in years, but if I remember right, sardines are much milder in flavor than anchovies. I use anchovies all the time at work.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:37 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgiver
Can a person substute sardines for anchovies? If so do you clean them first of the mustard and/oil and bones or what ?
That's kind of like asking if you can substitute oranges for limes. Both are citrus but the flavours are distinctly different.

Same with sardines and anchovies. Being small is the only thing those fish have in common. The texture of the flesh is different and the flavour is not the same.

I'm not suggesting you cannot make the substitution...I just wouldn't call it a substitutuion, I'd call it a recipe change.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:40 PM   #4
Master Chef

Hate to disappoint you, but you can't substitute sardines (mustard sauce or not) for anchovies - it's like apples & oranges.

The only way you "might" be able to do it is if you were talking about fresh anchovies & fresh sardines, or salt-packed anchovies & salt-packed sardines (if there is such a thing).

But you can't substitute canned sardines for canned or jarred anchovies. They're not even remotely similar once they're canned, except for coming from the same fish family.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:58 PM   #5
Executive Chef

if all you need is a salty flavor in a salad or dressing, feta cheese (a really good sheeps' milk one) will do ok. But if it is in a cooked recipe, probably not. However anchovies melt away leaving a nutty flavor. But if we're talking vegetarian needs...hmmm, check a vegan cook book for substitutions.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:36 PM   #6
Master Chef

Here is my opinion on this ...

Sardines are often listed as a substitute for anchovies ... but I often wonder if the people who came up with that idea have ever tasted both! With possibly only one exception that I know of - they taste nothing alike.

Anchovies are salt cured ... they then are then either packed whole in cans of salt or split, deboned, and packed in oil.

Sardines, on the other hand (with the exception I mentioned above - if they are salt cured and then packed in oil - but you don't generally find those) are just packed in their tins with oil, tomato sauce, or mustard sauce and then cooked in the can during the canning process.

If you are going to use sardines - YES - blot off the oil or rinse off and blot dry if packed in tomato or mustard sauce. Filleting them to remove the bones is up to your preference.

Sardines will not have the flavors developed during curing, will not be as briney, and will have the flavor of what they were packed in.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:39 PM   #7
Head Chef

are anchovies filled with internal organs? that kind of stuff just makes me really sick.

But i LOVE fish sauce, so um....
Old 08-28-2006, 10:47 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
are anchovies filled with internal organs? that kind of stuff just makes me really sick.

But i LOVE fish sauce, so um....
They are when they're swimming in the ocean but by the time they get to you, they're just filets.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:11 PM   #9
Master Chef

No - they are gutted and generally have the head removed - although I have seen some (once or twice at most) packed in salt that still had the head on.

Now, your fish sauce is an entirely different "kettle of fish" ... from an entirely different region of the world. Anchovies are salt cured whole or fillets of fish - fish sauce is fermented fish juice - don't know how much of the fish is used for this.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:49 AM   #10
Senior Cook

We had a grocery store closing so I picked up some anchovies 70% off and some cans of sardines for 10 cents each. The price difference tells me enough. I gave the sardines to my cats as treats. They loved them. Anchovies have a completely different feel, look, taste, texture. They aren't the same and I wouldn't substitute one for the other.