And I thought organic was expensive!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I was leaving the store there were 2 Publix managers outside doing what they do best, absolutely nothing. So, I asked them what they were going to do with the $95.00 turkey when nobody buys it. Don't think that rubbed them the right way.:ROFLMAO:

There is always Bell and Evans turkeys. They just might be $10 cheaper. They specialize in free range birds. So I don't understnd why their prices are so high. They are letting the birds scrounge for feed. Less they have to buy.

One year my daughter and I went out to a turkey farm not too far from home. We picked out a live 15 pounder. They slaughtered and cleaned it while we waited. The best dang turkey we ever had. Worth every single cent.:angel:

I think the price was probably due to how the bird is treated from egg to grocery in order to be kosher.

I think the price was probably due to how the bird is treated from egg to grocery in order to be kosher.

"Keeping Kosher" has very strict rules. The main thing about kosher is that everything, including the chicken coop is meticulously clean. There are rabbis that are trained for the role of making sure that the business is running a kosher facility. He is there first thing in the morning to give his blessing to being the last one at night to leave. Charlie could tell us more on this subject. :angel:

These are monster thighs greg, the packs have a thigh and leg in them, the thigh weighed nearly 3lbs. Stuffed it fed the two of us with enough left over for salad today.
Fresh chicken livers are about $1.60/lbs over here.

There were too many errors in my previous post (punctuation, spelling, even a line-feed that I don't know how got in there)... but there's one error I feel like correcting. (Probably caused by mental error.)

Cost of two large turkey things parted out at our markets in L.A. is about $4-$5 for two thighs large enough for each to make an ample serving for one. In fact it's one of my cheapest dinners, and a very good one. I buy a two-pack (it makes sense that thighs come in pairs) and cook one, freeze the other, dinner protein serving for about $2.50.

I used to pick up 2-3 two-packs at a time, depending on availability. (I see thighs available only about 1/4 of my shopping trips. I wish they had them in stock all the time but they don't, that's Ralphs, Von's and Albertson's here in CA. Trivia: "Ralphs" is not a punctuation error. The store chain was started by a guy whose last name was Ralphs. No lie! :)

It's funny how some things are unpopular and not many people eat them so the markets price them really low to get rid of them. Turkey breasts are expensive because they're desirable, but evidently not many people like dark meat so thighs go for less than breasts. Fact is, you can't raise a double breast without two thighs in close formation. One thing I've always wondered, why are there always breasts but rarely thighs? Maybe other people like the thighs as much as me and they disappear quickly, but if they're that popular why are they so inexpensive?

I used to like chicken livers when they were 29 cents/pound. (I remember when gasoline was 24.9 per gallon.) The economy slowed and people started looking for cheaper dinners and the popularity of chicken livers surged. Now you're lucky if you can find them under $1/pound.

My favorite Asian market (Bang Luck) sells pig vaginas. I haven't looked at the price. Somehow I think that no matter how expensive food gets I won't be buying them any time soon. :) Sometimes it's not a good idea to look too closely at what's for sale in ethnic markets. BTW I can tell you where to get canned locusts if you're passing through my town... (I didn't look at the price on them either. I'm not a locust kind of guy.)

Last edited:
My favorite Asian market (Bang Luck) sells pig vaginas. I haven't looked at the price. Somehow I think that no matter how expensive food gets I won't be buying them any time soon. :) Sometimes it's not a good idea to look too closely at what's for sale in ethnic markets. BTW I can tell you where to get canned locusts if you're passing through my town... (I didn't look at the price on them either. I'm not a locust kind of guy.)

Just the fact that you know about these items, gives me cause to consider refusing an invitation to dinner. I think I will stick to eating alone. Thanks anyway. :angel:

Evidently you're not a locust kind of lady then. :)

I've been considering buying a can of locusts just to gross out my guests. It used to be you could gross out your guests with canned rattlesnake. That was before it became popular...

In Texas they have rattle snake roundup day. Then they kill them and fry them. Another food I will pass on. BTW, they used to pay $5.00 for each rattler back in the 70's. My son would go out and catch them so he could get money to go to the movies. :angel:

I wonder how P/Vag is cooked and what you serve them with.Locust nah not enough meat on the legs compared to the finger licking flying cockroaches we ate in Namibia.I ate two.:)

Locust nah not enough meat on the legs compared to the finger licking flying cockroaches we ate in Namibia.I ate two.:)

On purpose or accidentally?

Maybe I shouldn't scoff the PVs too much. Compared to when I was 15 I've ate a lot of stuff that I would have never considered then. I first had sashimi in my late 30s and almost threw up. Now I covet sashimi and in fact I've just had a great idea for tomorrow's dinner: sashimi!

One thing I've learned over the last few decades is that Asians really know their food. Maybe the PVs, but definitely not insects anytime soon. (Although I've had a lot of insects -- accidentally -- I'm a veteran camper!)

On purpose or accidentally?

Maybe I shouldn't scoff the PVs too much. Compared to when I was 15 I've ate a lot of stuff that I would have never considered then. I first had sashimi in my late 30s and almost threw up. Now I covet sashimi and in fact I've just had a great idea for tomorrow's dinner: sashimi!

One thing I've learned over the last few decades is that Asians really know their food. Maybe the PVs, but definitely not insects anytime soon. (Although I've had a lot of insects -- accidentally -- I'm a veteran camper!)

MOtorcycle, and bicycle rider, swimmer in the Northern Great Lakes, yeh, I've eaten a few bugs. Just being outside in the U.P., you're going to suck in a gant, or black fly once in a while, maybe even a mosquito or two. I know I have. You can usually expell them. But sometimes, they just go down the hatch.:wacko: Cheap protien.:ohmy::LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yesterday I stopped at Walgreens in the orthodox area to get some ices and grabbed a six pack of cherry. it was 14.99! I put it back after waiting online 15 mins. It was Glatt but still it shouldn't be that expensive

Try explaining the concept of offal ("the waste or by-product of a process; especially : the inside organs of and parts trimmed from an animal killed and prepared for food") to someone raised in China. :LOL:

I think over half of the world's population intentionally eats insects. I don't. It's one of my food prejudices. Locusts are even kosher! :ohmy:

I was at Costco the other day and because of this thread I had a look at the turkeys. That's the per kg price ($5.59/kg = $2.54/lb). :ermm:

Attachments

• 27b.jpg
    27b.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 171
Try explaining the concept of offal ("the waste or by-product of a process; especially : the inside organs of and parts trimmed from an animal killed and prepared for food") to someone raised in China. :LOL:

I think over half of the world's population intentionally eats insects. I don't. It's one of my food prejudices. Locusts are even kosher! :ohmy:

You don't have to go to China, go to the ballpark and have a hot dog! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom