"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
Executive Chef

And I thought organic was expensive!

I was just at the grocery (Publix) and saw they had fresh turkeys for sale. I was curious why, so I looked at them. They both were Empire Kosher, fresh turkeys. The 20# one was $95.00 and change! Wow, just wow. I don't even want to know what the weekly food bill is for a family that keeps kosher.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I was just at the grocery (Publix) and saw they had fresh turkeys for sale. I was curious why, so I looked at them. They both were Empire Kosher, fresh turkeys. The 20# one was $95.00 and change! Wow, just wow. I don't even want to know what the weekly food bill is for a family that keeps kosher.
I think that I'd be growing my own turkey if I had to spend $4.50 a lb. for turkey.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Good Gravy!! (and at that price, it better be good!)

And here we're worried about pork products getting expensive.....
Old 09-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Senior Cook

A red label French turkey in the U.K. is 56$ a kilo French Click - Dinde Fermiere Label Rouge 2.5/4kg~

Although you can get a free range Bronze turkey for 21$ Farm Fresh Bronze Free Range Turkeys, Free Range Turkeys, Free Range Geese, Farm Fresh Turkeys, Farm Fresh Geese | Peach Croft Farm

Wonder how much shipping would be to have one of yours sent to me in the U.K.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Back in the days when I earned big bucks (sigh, sigh, cry),(and before I became a chicken keeper--I like that term--keeper...suggests responsibility--anyway), I used to get a free-range, organic turkey for $2.50/lb. Best turkey, but really, really expensive. But then, I'd probably want $100/lb for the girls...I couldn't imagine eating any of them! They free-range and they can really run!

We buried Martha even though she was still warm when we found her (she died on Monday). Martha was one of the DH's hens--not one of the flock at my house...he's not having very good luck with his hens. He has lost two/10...not to mention the fiasco at the farm...He calls me a "chicken whisperer" and says I'm better re: caring for hens....you think?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Back in the days when I earned big bucks (sigh, sigh, cry),(and before I became a chicken keeper--I like that term--keeper...suggests responsibility--anyway), I used to get a free-range, organic turkey for $2.50/lb. Best turkey, but really, really expensive. But then, I'd probably want $100/lb for the girls...I couldn't imagine eating any of them! They free-range and they can really run!

We buried Martha even though she was still warm when we found her (she died on Monday). Martha was one of the DH's hens--not one of the flock at my house...he's not having very good luck with his hens. He has lost two/10...not to mention the fiasco at the farm...He calls me a "chicken whisperer" and says I'm better re: caring for hens....you think?
I think "caring" might be the operative word.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post

I think he is setting you up to take over the rest of his flock!

Watch out for them sweet talkers!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I didn't find any of his hens at the farm...and, Rocky would not get off his roosting spot so I packed him up (literally, I put him in a box) and brought him home. He has LOTS of punctures. He put up a good fight for his hens (and, once wrapped in a towel, he was very good about being examined). He's in a crate in the basement. I'm about ready to get naked...the house is 85 degrees. According to what I recently read, an injured bird should be kept in an environment that is 80-85 degrees. And, they need 1/2 c of fluids a day. I've added electrolytes to his water.

I fired up the wood stove and have a heater on him as well. I'm at that age where I don't want the house this warm at night! (I did see a PT today and got some "exercises" to do re: my thumb...it is already feeling better). But Rocky and I are not going to be best buds anytime soon.

The other thing I read was "keep the bird company." Well, Ricky and I aren't the best of friends...so I brought Eggatha in to keep him company. Prudence and Eggatha were always under Rocky's wing when he was here, so I enlisted Eggatha to keep him company. I'm just hoping he doesn't crow at 5:00 a.m. Good thing I don't own a gun--at that hour, in the house, I just might shoot him, which would defeat the whole purpose of bringing him home. I don't know if he'll live or not, but at least he's not alone. Another exciting day in the life of a chicken keeper.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:28 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Did I miss something? What happened to the hens and Rocky?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Did I miss something? What happened to the hens and Rocky?
Rocky was getting so aggressive, he went to the farm to live. I felt sorry for him, so got him a flock of 4.5 mo old hens. The problem was that the DH insisted they live in the coop so they could go in and out (no lockup at night). I said it was a bad idea. So, Rocky is back here but has to be isolated for a bit--I want him to heal (physically and mentally). Then he will get new hens and go out to the farm again--only he'll be locked up in the barn, let out when s/one is there. I don't think he'd ever go in the coop again.

Tags
organic