And I thought organic was expensive!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
I was just at the grocery (Publix) and saw they had fresh turkeys for sale. I was curious why, so I looked at them. They both were Empire Kosher, fresh turkeys. The 20# one was $95.00 and change!:wacko: Wow, just wow. I don't even want to know what the weekly food bill is for a family that keeps kosher.

I was just at the grocery (Publix) and saw they had fresh turkeys for sale. I was curious why, so I looked at them. They both were Empire Kosher, fresh turkeys. The 20# one was $95.00 and change!:wacko: Wow, just wow. I don't even want to know what the weekly food bill is for a family that keeps kosher.

I think that I'd be growing my own turkey if I had to spend $4.50 a lb. for turkey.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Good Gravy!! (and at that price, it better be good!)

And here we're worried about pork products getting expensive.....

Back in the days when I earned big bucks (sigh, sigh, cry),(and before I became a chicken keeper--I like that term--keeper...suggests responsibility--anyway), I used to get a free-range, organic turkey for $2.50/lb. Best turkey, but really, really expensive. But then, I'd probably want $100/lb for the girls...I couldn't imagine eating any of them! They free-range and they can really run!

We buried Martha even though she was still warm when we found her (she died on Monday). Martha was one of the DH's hens--not one of the flock at my house...he's not having very good luck with his hens. He has lost two/10...not to mention the fiasco at the farm...He calls me a "chicken whisperer" and says I'm better re: caring for hens....you think?

Last edited:
Back in the days when I earned big bucks (sigh, sigh, cry),(and before I became a chicken keeper--I like that term--keeper...suggests responsibility--anyway), I used to get a free-range, organic turkey for $2.50/lb. Best turkey, but really, really expensive. But then, I'd probably want $100/lb for the girls...I couldn't imagine eating any of them! They free-range and they can really run!

We buried Martha even though she was still warm when we found her (she died on Monday). Martha was one of the DH's hens--not one of the flock at my house...he's not having very good luck with his hens. He has lost two/10...not to mention the fiasco at the farm...He calls me a "chicken whisperer" and says I'm better re: caring for hens....you think?
I think "caring" might be the operative word. ;)

I think he is setting you up to take over the rest of his flock!

Watch out for them sweet talkers! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I didn't find any of his hens at the farm...and, Rocky would not get off his roosting spot so I packed him up (literally, I put him in a box) and brought him home. He has LOTS of punctures. He put up a good fight for his hens (and, once wrapped in a towel, he was very good about being examined). He's in a crate in the basement. I'm about ready to get naked...the house is 85 degrees. According to what I recently read, an injured bird should be kept in an environment that is 80-85 degrees. And, they need 1/2 c of fluids a day. I've added electrolytes to his water.

I fired up the wood stove and have a heater on him as well. I'm at that age where I don't want the house this warm at night! (I did see a PT today and got some "exercises" to do re: my thumb...it is already feeling better). But Rocky and I are not going to be best buds anytime soon.

The other thing I read was "keep the bird company." Well, Ricky and I aren't the best of friends...so I brought Eggatha in to keep him company. Prudence and Eggatha were always under Rocky's wing when he was here, so I enlisted Eggatha to keep him company. I'm just hoping he doesn't crow at 5:00 a.m. Good thing I don't own a gun--at that hour, in the house, I just might shoot him, which would defeat the whole purpose of bringing him home. I don't know if he'll live or not, but at least he's not alone. Another exciting day in the life of a chicken keeper.

Last edited:
Did I miss something? What happened to the hens and Rocky?
Rocky was getting so aggressive, he went to the farm to live. I felt sorry for him, so got him a flock of 4.5 mo old hens. The problem was that the DH insisted they live in the coop so they could go in and out (no lockup at night). I said it was a bad idea. So, Rocky is back here but has to be isolated for a bit--I want him to heal (physically and mentally). Then he will get new hens and go out to the farm again--only he'll be locked up in the barn, let out when s/one is there. I don't think he'd ever go in the coop again.

Rocky was getting so aggressive, he went to the farm to live. I felt sorry for him, so got him a flock of 4.5 mo old hens. The problem was that the DH insisted they live in the coop so they could go in and out (no lockup at night). I said it was a bad idea. So, Rocky is back here but has to be isolated for a bit--I want him to heal (physically and mentally). Then he will get new hens and go out to the farm again--only he'll be locked up in the barn, let out when s/one is there. I don't think he'd ever go in the coop again.
Okay, I was up to date about Rocky at the farm with new hens. Here's the part, from the previous post, that I am not clear about:

"I didn't find any of his hens at the farm...and, Rocky would not get off his roosting spot so I packed him up (literally, I put him in a box) and brought him home. He has LOTS of punctures."

As I was leaving the store there were 2 Publix managers outside doing what they do best, absolutely nothing. So, I asked them what they were going to do with the $95.00 turkey when nobody buys it. Don't think that rubbed them the right way.:ROFLMAO:

I remember the days (only a few years ago) when you could buy a whole turkey for less than $10.

I guess those days are over now. As recently as 2-3 years ago I recall supermarkets using holiday turkeys as a loss leader.

I remember the days (only a few years ago) when you could buy a whole turkey for less than $10.

I guess those days are over now. As recently as 2-3 years ago I recall supermarkets using holiday turkeys as a loss leader.

Last year, I rebelled against the price of turkey parts being so much higher than a whole turkey. I bought a small store brand turkey for $6 ($0.59 per pound for 10 pounds) and cut it up. Carcass, wings and legs went to make stock for Thanksgiving dinner. Breasts and thighs were boned and frozen for later meals. I'll do the same again this year if my shoulder progresses to the point where it can stand the rigors of preparing a holiday meal.

A local supermarket had fresh legs and thighs packs on offer, the pack weighs a min of 4lbs (I picked the four biggest at 41/2lbs) The pack price was £3 or under $5.
I boned stuffed and roasted a thigh last night and it had very good flavor.:)

Last year, I rebelled against the price of turkey parts being so much higher than a whole turkey. I bought a small store brand turkey for $6 ($0.59 per pound for 10 pounds) and cut it up. Carcass, wings and legs went to make stock for Thanksgiving dinner. Breasts and thighs were boned and frozen for later meals. I'll do the same again this year if my shoulder progresses to the point where it can stand the rigors of preparing a holiday meal.

Turkey parts? I've never bought a "turkey part" (except see below). :) Honestly, I'm part of the reason supermarkets quit selling turkeys at dirt cheap prices during the holidays. For years I've always loaded up on as many turkeys that would fit in my freezer. Keep in mind that I'm single so I don't have a family to feed...

I'd freeze them whole or I'd part them out. Is the whole worth more than the sum of the parts? (Not as far as I can see...)

If I had a deep freezer (I didn't) I would have bought enough holiday turkeys to last the rest of the year!!! I would have bought a couple dozen if I only had the place to put them (frozen).

I was the supermarket's worst fear! I'd buy lots of loss leader turkeys and then the rest of my spending was frugal.

I've always told people (like I'm telling the forum now) that cooking a turkey is no more complicated than cooking a TV dinner. For basic turkey all you do is preheat your oven and then wash off the turkey and stick it in No stuffing, no surface treatment required (like buttering). Just stick it in the oven and time it (# per hour) or better, use a remote reading thermometer.

I've cooked whole turkeys many time to eat alone. I don't need any festivity. And whenever I've cooked a turkey you could almost count on my making turkey enchiladas and turkey crepes in the successive nights...

A local supermarket had fresh legs and thighs packs on offer, the pack weighs a min of 4lbs (I picked the four biggest at 41/2lbs) The pack price was £3 or under $5.
I boned stuffed and roasted a thigh last night and it had very good flavor.:)

(Exception to Greg's rule above.) I've always been a sucker for nice thighs. I see a nice package of thighs and I see possibility, not the supermarket parting it out and hoping the sum is more than the parts.

Chicken livers used to be cheap, cheap, cheap! Then people who didn't freak out at the thought of eating liver starting hitting the chix livers and the price went up and they're almost as expnsive as the rest of the parts now.

I just simper when I see some nice thighs at the supermarket! I grab them right away and if nothing else I roast one of them and make Williams ranch sauce from the package (and often pour it over myy potato and/or starch ingredient.

You can
get turkey thighs ready to eat in about 40 minutes! A single thigh makes a nice dinner for a single guy! And cheap! I can't recall exactly but it's approximately $4-$5 for a generic turkey thigh inner per Person. This is one of my all time favorite quick and simple recipes!

These are monster thighs greg, the packs have a thigh and leg in them, the thigh weighed nearly 3lbs. Stuffed it fed the two of us with enough left over for salad today.
Fresh chicken livers are about $1.60/lbs over here.

High food prices have arrived here too.

Going out today to find some turkey for next week's thanksgiving dinner, will report later what I find.

Our local store usually limits the number of loss-leader turkeys which one person can buy (either 2 or 3). It's only fair to share.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom