Anne Burrell: Secrets of a Restaurant Chef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Food Network is all about the entertainment value. Not that Anne Burrell isn't a good chef, but she's on TV because of how she is in front of the camera. Same reason why a hack like Guy Fieri can have so many cooking shows.

And why we like to see car crashes.

you're in vacherie?!!?!??!?

i'm just down the road in thibodaux!!! :ohmy:

can you tell me more about how you infuse the olive oil? i've got some chipotle pepper flakes and some really good rice bran oil that i'd like to infuse.

I could not imagine not using black pepper. I also have several pepper mills. Some just black, some green, some all three. I am not really fond of spicy foods, but I do like a little kick. If this woman puts as much salt as you are saying, I have no interest in her show at all. I was going the natural route. Only really butter, etc. That got my wife and me into a lot of trouble. Her cholesterol was 297. I got it down to 165 in a month. I use a lot of Grape Seed and Olive Oil. Very little fried foods, which is not easy in South Louisiana. Since I have cut back on the salt, I find some restaurant foods to be overly salty. I do like to take about 2 tbls of red pepper flakes wrapped in cheese cloth, and boil them for about 10 minutes in olive oil. I let is sit in there for about a day, and then transfer it to a bottle. It has a slight reddish color, and it is great in cooking and on fresh bread. It gives the foods a nice pepper flavor without hitting clumps of pepper. By removing the pepper, it last a little longer in that bottle than when you have fresh herbs in there.

I use about 1 cup of olive oil in a butter melter (small pot). Put it on a medium to low flame. I just take a small piece of cheese cloth and fold it in half. Put the 2 tablespoons of Red Pepper flakes and tie up the top with kitchen twine. Drop it in the oil and let it cook for about 10 minutes, then turn it off and let it sit over night. Take out the bag of peppers and throw it away. Put the oil in a previously used olive oil (glass) bottle and put on a pouring top. This would be a lot easier if I would just go out and get one of those tea balls, and put the pepper in that.

And I do have an idea for a cooking show. Cook real food. My son did not realize that mashed potatoes came in a box until he was in the 2nd grade, and they had them at school. He was so amazed when he got home. Cook something that you can cook in a batch, and freezes well. Then have another part with a date night kinda stuff. That woman that cooks the 3 meals. My kids will not eat 90% of that stuff, and they have been eating sushi since they were 2.

Her techniques are sound, and she is a real pro. I have eaten her cooking in NYC at one of Batali's restaurants (she has been one of his execs, and often does Iron chef with him.) She is excellent and her food is nicely seasoned whatever she does.

I just watched her show "Crusted Lamb". I couldn't help but notice when she was salting the lamb, she tainted the salt pig with lamb goo. This is one thing I usually am very cautious about at home, if I feel I got some goo in there, I dump/wash it out. I'm not nitpicking or anything, but you're on TV and supposed to be doing the "proper" thing.

I did, however, like the way she cut two bones from the rack to make nice thick chops.

I guess she is good for entertainment value. I would love to see reruns of “The Two Fat Ladies”. I could count on one hand the things that they cooked that I would even think about cooking, but they were fun to watch. Unfortunately the Chain Smoking dark haired lady that rode in the side car died a few years ago. Although Emeril is a friend of mine, they did over do his presents.

Back
Top Bottom