Anne Burrell: Secrets of a Restaurant Chef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you are absolutely correct about cooking with pepper in louisiana.

we use all 3 liberally, but for the most part, cayenne is used the most.

My grandmother also only used white pepper.

I use all the peppers, pretty judiciously.

In Louisiana cooking there's quite a bit of all three.... white, black and red. :chef:

ive never really watched the show but pepper (any pepper) is a seasoning to enhance other flavors (same as salt) even though if you do you too much it will over power

I love pepper any kidna pepper. and i usually go with the visual aspect of it.

if its a white sauce lets say im not going to use black pepper.

It does seem odd that someone would outright ban any seasoning. In my opinion black pepper does have it's place. It adds a certain dimension to some foods that I don't think can be duplicated.

Jeff

I agree with you Jeff, I do like black pepper on my salads and I like a
larger size crack on my steaks. One time a restaurant wasn't sure about
cracked black pepper on the steak I ordered and they literally covered
every inch of the steak with black pepper, like a crust. I loved it, but unfortunately they also did that to the steak of the guy I was with and he wasn't real happy. :rolleyes:

She's on Food TV at 10:30 EST Saturday mornings if anyone wants to catch her show.

This morning, her show was about "small plate appetizers". As usual, I got a couple of good tips/ideas.

One was deviled eggs made with a little bit of truffle oil. The other was roasting peppers, peeling/seeding them and rolling them up with a little knob of goat cheese sprinkled with red pepper flakes and (I think) smoked paprika.

Anyhoo, I'm going to price the truffle oil at Wegman's on Monday.

I can already tell you the price "EXPENSIVE" LOL!

Seriously though, from this thread and my goat cheese one, it sounds like goat cheese and roasted peppers is a good combination. Never tried it before, I think, but I will.

i actually like anne burrell quite a bit; she's the type of woman i'd ask out on a date-just because of her personality.

but i do have to admit... that occasional "grrrr" deep voice inflection at certain times is mad annoying.

I love black pepper - as a matter of fact, I mix black pepper half and half with cayanne pepper in my pepper shakers - it's full of antioxidents and helps reduce plaque in your arteries. I put it in everything, but cereal !!

it doesn't cost anything to be optimistic - it only costs you if your not. (I said that!)

Last edited:
I love pepper! It's like I have a little food with my pepper sometimes.

I like her show too. Brown food tastes good!
She can be quite a dork though, the growl and funny sayings (I'm a super-speed demon).
I pepper just about everything also, Tellicherry is my favorite.

Geek

I love black pepper - as a matter of fact, I mix black pepper half and half with cayanne pepper in my pepper shakers - it's full of antioxidents and helps reduce plaque in your arteries. I put it in everything, but cereal !!

it doesn't cost anything to be optimistic - it only costs you if your not. (I said that!)

Add cayenne pepper in my pepper mill? I never thought of doing that but it sounds like a great idea to me. I always use salt and pepper in anything I cook and use mixed peppercorns in my pepper mill, but cayenne pepper can only make it better. Will do that today. It's like Lidia Bastianich. Lidia puts "pepperoncino" (hot red pepper flakes) in everything she makes. I'm okay with that too so the cayenne appeals to me.

:) I finally saw her show a couple of days ago and thought that she came off kind of crass. She was talking about how you need to roast the crap out of the bell peppers and also said now I have my peppers I roasted the crap out of them. Im no saint at all and would say that at home but I really don't think that would be my choice of word on TV. She just didn't come across with much class in her way of talking. I also saw her taste a glob of the pate from her finger and then shake the rest back into the bowl. Tasting with finger didn't bother me but then shaking what was left back into the bowl is something I would not do even if I was alone and no one saw me.

:) I finally saw her show a couple of days ago and thought that she came off kind of crass. She was talking about how you need to roast the crap out of the bell peppers and also said now I have my peppers I roasted the crap out of them. Im no saint at all and would say that at home but I really don't think that would be my choice of word on TV. She just didn't come across with much class in her way of talking. I also saw her taste a glob of the pate from her finger and then shake the rest back into the bowl. Tasting with finger didn't bother me but then shaking what was left back into the bowl is something I would not do even if I was alone and no one saw me.

I'm the same. You have to be considerate of other people. I've noticed people in the supermarket squeezing the self serve donuts who lick their fingers then keep on squeezing donuts and not buy them leaving them for someone else. Gross.

Jeff

i saw her use her finger to taste, but i didn't see her shake the rest in the bowl...

i've got this episode on the DVR; i will watch it again to see if i notice it the 2nd time.

I could not imagine not using black pepper. I also have several pepper mills. Some just black, some green, some all three. I am not really fond of spicy foods, but I do like a little kick. If this woman puts as much salt as you are saying, I have no interest in her show at all. I was going the natural route. Only really butter, etc. That got my wife and me into a lot of trouble. Her cholesterol was 297. I got it down to 165 in a month. I use a lot of Grape Seed and Olive Oil. Very little fried foods, which is not easy in South Louisiana. Since I have cut back on the salt, I find some restaurant foods to be overly salty. I do like to take about 2 tbls of red pepper flakes wrapped in cheese cloth, and boil them for about 10 minutes in olive oil. I let is sit in there for about a day, and then transfer it to a bottle. It has a slight reddish color, and it is great in cooking and on fresh bread. It gives the foods a nice pepper flavor without hitting clumps of pepper. By removing the pepper, it last a little longer in that bottle than when you have fresh herbs in there.

Interesting screen name. :LOL:

It is something I have used for many things, and could not think of anything else. I just found this forum today, and I love it.

Food Network is all about the entertainment value. Not that Anne Burrell isn't a good chef, but she's on TV because of how she is in front of the camera. Same reason why a hack like Guy Fieri can have so many cooking shows.

Back
Top Bottom