"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-22-2016, 11:03 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
That's not a food fad, it't a health fad. Everyone is intolerant of gluten these days.
No, it is a food fad. Some people who say they eat gluten-free don't even know what gluten is.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:06 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
The other day I was at a fancy part, and one of the hors d'oeuvres being passed around was a cube of watermelon with a slice of feta cheese on top. Ive seen pics of watermelon salads with feta cheese in it in magazines , and on some of the food programs, so I figured I'd give it a shot ( against my better judgment as I just couldn't comprehend how the two went well together). I took a bite, and sure enough, it tasted as I expected, like crap. Sure its a matter of opinion, but what really irks me is how people feel like they have to like something, just because a celebrity, famous chef, food channel , magazine ...says that it should be good.
Ha, funny! I gave a talk tonight about culinary herbs and served watermelon with feta and fresh mint. They loved it and some had never heard of that combination before. I love sweet and salty flavors together

Old 06-22-2016, 11:25 PM   #13
Everymom

Weird diet fads. Atkins...Paleo...whatever the diet du jour is bugs me. Burn more calories than you consume.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:35 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I feel so overwhelmed if my plate is piled with too much food. It can take my appetite away immediately. I have been known to send it back to the kitchen and ask to have some of it removed. I had one chef/cook come out and insult me because I didn't recognize his talent with food. I wasn't looking for talent, I just want a simple plate of food. Preferably a child size. But most places won't let me order that. Not unless it is for a child. I even offer to pay full adult price. And I always tell them to hold the fries. That doesn't mean pile my plate with fried onions in its place.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:50 AM   #15
Head Chef

Sorry GG, but I'm +1 on the feta with melon with Larry. Same thing with ricotta salata, BTDT, never again.

I'm with the others on piling stuff on sandwiches. I don't really even like foods that are supposed to be separate touching on the plate, not OCD about it cause if 2 foods touch, I'll still eat them, but I'll separate them as soon as I see it. Okay, maybe a little OCD .

We have a Primanti's here and I'd really like to try them but I'm afraid they'll make me have all the stuff piled on my sandwich like that woman does when the feature Primanti's on the food shows. So guess my feet will never darken their doorway.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:54 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I feel so overwhelmed if my plate is piled with too much food. It can take my appetite away immediately. I have been known to send it back to the kitchen and ask to have some of it removed. I had one chef/cook come out and insult me because I didn't recognize his talent with food. I wasn't looking for talent, I just want a simple plate of food. Preferably a child size. But most places won't let me order that. Not unless it is for a child. I even offer to pay full adult price. And I always tell them to hold the fries. That doesn't mean pile my plate with fried onions in its place.
Just ask the server to have half your food placed into a to-go box upon it being plated, or ask for a box to be delivered with your meal and do it yourself next time.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:45 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
No, it is a food fad. Some people who say they eat gluten-free don't even know what gluten is.
I see this multiple times a day at the deli. We have so many people that inquire about gluten free options and then end up eating regular bread, coated fries, etc....You have to hand it to the marketing people. They have done an excellent job convincing people some that gluten free diets are are healthier...
Old 06-23-2016, 08:18 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
The other day I was at a fancy part, and one of the hors d'oeuvres being passed around was a cube of watermelon with a slice of feta cheese on top. Ive seen pics of watermelon salads with feta cheese in it in magazines , and on some of the food programs, so I figured I'd give it a shot ( against my better judgment as I just couldn't comprehend how the two went well together). I took a bite, and sure enough, it tasted as I expected, like crap. Sure its a matter of opinion, but what really irks me is how people feel like they have to like something, just because a celebrity, famous chef, food channel , magazine ...says that it should be good. Sometimes simple is better. Don't need to pile a bunch of stuff n top of each other, or used exotic ingredients to be good. Im not saying I don't like or used exotic or ' high society' stuff. But just because something contains it, or just because we see something on TV or in a magazine, doesn't automatically make it good.

Watermelon and feta isn't a food fad. It's a very traditional summer pairing that you don't like.

It's fine not to like it. But it's absolutely not exotic or tv food driven.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:30 AM   #19
Executive Chef

To me, it seems that the piling on, oversized and "hot as you got" are basically bar food trends.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:51 AM   #20
Master Chef

The only annoying food trend that I can name is the fried egg put atop anything and everything

Tags
food