"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-23-2016, 09:04 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Just ask the server to have half your food placed into a to-go box upon it being plated, or ask for a box to be delivered with your meal and do it yourself next time.
And you take it home, put it in the fridge and two months later you find it way at the back on the bottom shelf. I am at a sit down restaurant, not a take out.

If restaurants gave normal helpings, they could save costs not only on food, but wouldn't have to purchase so many take out containers. Having worked in the food industry, Pirate was once told the best tool in the kitchen was the rubber spatula. You could gain a whole extra meal each day just by scraping out the bowls. And it cut down of the cost of takeout containers if you just served a normal helping. Less waste in the kitchen and out in the dining room.

There is a Italian restaurant chain in these parts that has an open kitchen policy. I am fascinated watching the cook who handles the main dishes. He weighs out the pasta and uses only one ladle of pasta sauce. His actions never vary from dish to dish, regardless of what type of pasta. If you are a person who loves to have puddles of sauce on the bottom of your plate, you can ask for a side of extra sauce for a minimal price. You get one refill of your bread basket. After that, again there is a minimal charge. You see more clean plates going back to be washed and very few takeout doggie bags.

I am one of those folks who doesn't like a lot of sauce on my pasta. And since I don't eat bread, I let others have my share. And my plate is empty when I am done eating. I leave there feeling full and satisfied.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:52 AM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
The only annoying food trend that I can name is the fried egg put atop anything and everything
You can have my watermelon topped with feta if I can have your Schnitzel a la Holstein!

Dining Chicago Eat this! Schnitzel, crispy cutlets from Vienna

Old 06-23-2016, 10:28 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
And you take it home, put it in the fridge and two months later you find it way at the back on the bottom shelf. I am at a sit down restaurant, not a take out.
So get an appetizer or a side dish instead of a meal.

Can't wait to hear why that won't work for you, either
Old 06-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
You can have my watermelon topped with feta if I can have your Schnitzel a la Holstein!
\

That's little Schnitzel as my avatar!

I'm fine with fried eggs in dishes they make sense with ...
Old 06-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
The only annoying food trend that I can name is the fried egg put atop anything and everything
+1 Add this to the list!
Old 06-23-2016, 11:20 AM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Just thought of one...I hate having a slice of lemon served in my ice water. If I wanted lemonade I would ask for it.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:34 AM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Really, you'd waste food like that? and have days you don't feel like cooking as you've often written? Plus that would be another meal that you wouldn't have to use your public food $ for.

We routinely go out for breakfast at least 1 of the days we are both off each week (and yes I know it basically is the most expensive restaurant meal compared to what it costs to make at home and gives the restaurant the biggest profit, but it's our indulgence) and quite often I end up bringing half or close to half of my plate home, which I then eat the next day or the day after that.

Yes, you are right about the portion sizes versus cost for a lot of people, but then you have the flip side of people who want the large portions and would bad mouth the restaurant as being stingy if they didn't get them. Restaurants are in a D'd if they do and D'd if they don't situation.

And I'm with GG, order an appy or a small plate (AKA tapas type dish). They are starting to become more and more common on menus. For years, I would eat the large size appy of Carrabba's PEI mussels for my dinner meal. Used to be one of my favorites. We don't go there anymore after our last experience several years ago (obviously bad). For years, when I would take DD and the GDs out for a meal, DD and I would often share 2 or 3 appys for our meal, now it's usually 3 or 4 or even 5 since the oldest GD has an ever expanding palate and is willing to try new things, sometimes even 6 as that child can eat when she's going through a growth spurt. Almost 14, taller than me and her mother, and skinny as a beanpole, thank goodness she didn't inherit our short curvy statures, though the youngest probably will.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Couldn't agree more. People tend to believe that if something is good, then taking it completely over the top guarantees it will be better.

A few of my "favorites":
  • Cronuts
  • Bacon as dessert
  • Bloody Marys with everything under the sun shoved into the glass

I couldn't agree more, Steve. It reminds me of something Buck used to say when we got a piece of furniture in the shop to repair...that had been, um, repaired by the customer. He'd invariably say, "Yep. If one nail is good, ten are better."

This concept can be applied easily to food and the Bloody Mary you cited is a perfect example of the 10-nail approach.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
For me, the most annoying food trend is decorating/drizzling one's plate, especially when there's only what appears to be a sample-sized meal portion on said plate. This is the direct opposite of the "pile it on" view of food service.

I can fully appreciate the skill that goes into creating curlicues, etc. made of sauce around my medallion of veal or whatever and I can enjoy how lovely my dessert looks with the apostrophes of caramel and chocolate sauce framing it.

But...enough is enough. I would much prefer the chef use that effort to produce a very flavorful dish for me to enjoy. If I want art, I'll go to the Guggenheim.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:00 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

To paraphrase a comment Julia Child once made: When I see a plate with the food piled high and decorations all over it, all I can think about is that someone's hands have been all over my food.

Tags
food