"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-25-2016, 11:34 AM   #71
Master Chef

I dislike the plating of the meal with everything piled in the center of the plate. Potatoes on the bottom, with veggies in the middle and the meat on top. No, just NO! I don't care about food touching but I do like my food separated.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:32 PM   #72
Head Chef

Annoying food trend. Bone in chicken breasts that are huge, gargantuan sized. Now they're called "split chicken breasts." I've gone to 5 area supermarkets looking for bone in chicken breast to BBQ on a rotisserie. I want the size chicken breast you might get at an El Pollo Loco or KFC. The size they sell today, one chicken breast weighs 2 pounds and could feed 2 people. They're all huge! I've bookmarked some local butcher shops to call to see if they offer up smaller sized bone in chicken breasts.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:08 PM   #73
Certified Pretend Chef

I can't find fryer-sized chickens (3.5lb-4lb). The smallest is over 5 pounds.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:17 PM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I hear ya Andy. I wanted just two chicken breasts. The package said chicken breast, but I personally think they were turkey breasts. That poor chicken probably couldn't even stand up without her breasts dragging on the ground.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:56 PM   #75
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I can see some people going for that
Old 06-26-2016, 12:28 AM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't peel potatoes for mashed or potato salad, either, and it's not because I'm lazy. I like the look of the peel (especially red oned), it contains a lot of nutrients, and Yukon Gold skins are so thin, they don't need peeling.
What GG wrote.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:31 AM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
What GG wrote.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:07 AM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I think that has become common due to the fact that most city tap water doesn't taste all that good, so a little lemon covers it up.
I like a bit of lemon in my water, even when the water tastes fine without.

Quote:
This is the truth! I love burgers. I've had a lot of what I would call semi-traditional, and a few non-traditional, burgers. I also like fried eggs sunny-side-up. I do NOT want them together.

To be honest I'm not a fan of any sandwich with eggs, but I can force down egg salad if that's all there is. Runny yolk all over my burger.... I'd skip that one completely.
It is actually traditional on some food: hash, a Danish hamburger steak, an Australian all dressed hamburger, Holstein wienerschnitzel (as I learned from this thread), and I'm sure there is more.

But, I agree, it doesn't belong on everything.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #79
Certified Pretend Chef

I just ran across this article and it exemplifies the kind of issues this topic is about.

The Secret Ingredient for a Perfect Burger Isn't What You Think | Food & Wine
Old 06-27-2016, 11:18 AM   #80
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Weird diet fads. Atkins...Paleo...whatever the diet du jour is bugs me. Burn more calories than you consume.
Dr. Atkins approach is not a diet. Its a lifestyle and many people have benefited from hearing the real truth about food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
The only annoying food trend that I can name is the fried egg put atop anything and everything
I thought it was weird too. But after some thought, I could see and would eat some things with a fried egg on top. The runny yolk being the star.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The only time I like the skin on my potatoes is when they are baked. When I am served a potato salad with the skin still on the potatoes, I just let it sit there or just break off the front of the piece of potato and leave the skin behind. Make sure your peeler is really sharp and don't be lazy. Peel them.

Yeah, yeah, I know red taters are the preferred one for salad. And to peel them can take what seems forever since they are so small. Then find some very large Yukon Gold ones. They make great potato salad and can be peeled quickly.
I like the skin as long as its not to thick. Some potatoes (russet/Idaho) at the super market have thick skin and it gets removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
DH and I just split an entre. I don't care if they give us two plates or not. If we don't get two forks, I will hunt another fork down.
This also means we split a salad and veg. Dessert too if it's included.
My wife and I do the same thing. I always ask for a second plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Annoying food trend. Bone in chicken breasts that are huge, gargantuan sized. Now they're called "split chicken breasts." I've gone to 5 area supermarkets looking for bone in chicken breast to BBQ on a rotisserie. I want the size chicken breast you might get at an El Pollo Loco or KFC. The size they sell today, one chicken breast weighs 2 pounds and could feed 2 people. They're all huge! I've bookmarked some local butcher shops to call to see if they offer up smaller sized bone in chicken breasts.
Yep they are big. I just cut mine in half and use as a whole breast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Andy. Just last trip to Costco, I saw whole chickens for 99 cents a pound. Since they always seemed big I almost kept walking. They come two to the package and I found a package with both chickens at about 3-4 pounds a piece. I did not dig down any further in that cold case.
They were quite small. When I cut it up for BBQ chicken I ended up eating three pieces instead of two. They were nice and small.
There is another brand around here that are all small chickens. A bit more money (They could be organic) not sure. But they run around 3 lbs at $1.49 a lb.
Cut up, the pieces are tiny. Maybe to tiny.

Tags
food