Annoying Food Trends – IMO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to a programme on the radio (BBC Radio 4, so probably reasonably reliable ;)) Gluten allergy, ie Coeliac disease, is very rare - about 1% of the populations in both the US and the UK. Apparently there are no medically approved tests to determine non-coeliac sensitivity to gluten and there has been considerable debate about whether the condition even exists.

Don't shoot the messenger - I'm only repeating what a very sensible sounding programme stated.

That tracks with what I've read. When people go gluten-free, they usually end up eating less overall, so of course they lose weight and feel better.

And kale is vile - only fit for cattle food. Food of the desperate poor. I may be poor but I'm not yet desperate! :)

I don't understand the fascination with kale, especially in smoothies. Who wants to drink it? Ew.

Kale is sometimes deep fried and served as seaweed.

If you take out gluten and feels better and dont have celiac disease, there is could be grain allergies, too much fiber in your diet ( yes we cant eat too much of a good thing either) or you are allergic to preservatives or just placebo.

Anyway I just go annoyed with this half vegetarian thing going around, you are not a vegetarian or flexiterian or demivegan , if you eat both vegetarian dishes and meat dishes, you are an normal functioning omnivore.

That tracks with what I've read. When people go gluten-free, they usually end up eating less overall, so of course they lose weight and feel better.

I don't understand the fascination with kale, especially in smoothies. Who wants to drink it? Ew.

I'm certainly not facinated by it, but I like it both cooked and raw. It's somwhat like cabbage leaves, both when cooked, and when eaten raw. Flowering kale makes a beautiful bed for a crown roast (see my avatar) and grows readily in my neck of the woods.

But just as will all veggies, some people will liek them, and some won't. I like it, but don't have any problems with anybody that doesn't.

When used with a little imagination, and used properly, IMO, kale is quite nice.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Mad Cook said:
And kale is vile - only fit for cattle food. Food of the desperate poor. I may be poor but I'm not yet desperate! :)
I'm with you on this one, MC!

When people in the grocery store sing the praises of kale and smoothies to me, I tell them I don't "do" smoothies. "Why not?" :ohmy:, they ask. I tell them I'd rather use my teeth while I still have them, and that kale is intolerable no matter how you massage or cook it. Then I pick up a bunch of chard or collard greens, which are equally nutritious but in a different way.

Himself equates kale to that plastic greenery that grocery stores would use to separate sections in the meat case, or used as dividers at some salad bars. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom