"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-11-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Anodized aluminum pressure cooker

I just bought a Premier 5.5 liter anodized aluminum pressure cooker for around 24 dollars and was wanting to know if this was a good deal,also is this a brand name?Does anodized aluminum work good for a pressure cooker and how non-stick is it?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
Head Chef

I have an anodized Futura pressure cooker and it works well. I have heard that the Anodized stuff does not last for very long especially if you use it day in and day out. I have used mine less than a dozen times because I have another heavy duty SEB pressure cooker.

Overall it's easy to cook in the non-stick one and cleanup is a breeze after that. I have cooked beans and lamb in it so far.

I don't know anything about Premier, I am sure it's a brand, Futura is made by Hawkins.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
Master Chef

Whether it's nonstick is sort of a nonissue, since you have to cook food in liquid in a pressure cooker.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
Master Chef

Anodizing is a process used to harden aluminum, and is done only to the outside of the pan to make it more mar-resistant. There are a good many aluminum pressure cookers out there. As long as you use it for what it was designed for, it will do its job. For instance, don't try to pressure fry foods in it. The intense heat of 360' oil will create sufficient pressure to turn your appliance into a bomb. But using with water, it will not exceed 1t lbs. internal pressure, max, which it is designed to withstand easily.

Let me tell you from experience, if you let all of the water evaporate out, and stuff burns in it, it becomes a real chore to clean. You can ruin the pan, depending on what is burnt into it. I remember destroying a pan when a liver recipe was burnt into it. I never did get the odor out of that pan.

Just follow the directions that came with the pressure cooker and it will do wonderful things for you.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
Head Chef

I am pretty sure my Calphalon anodized pans are anodized inside and out. At least the surface on the inside and outside is indistinguishable. And they are not non-stick.