Another TJ's Product

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"The umami-savvy among us know how easy it is to use tinned anchovies or fish sauce—even just a splash—to complexify the flavors of a dish, even if those ingredients don't register specifically on the tongue. This is just another weapon we can add to our arsenal."

If we have all those things - and I'd bet most people who cook frequently and enjoy it do - then for me, I don't want a weapon in a tube. I still have a lot of homemade tomato paste in the freezer to use up ;)

I agree. Seems silly to buy something like that. If I want umami, I'll often just add a splash of soy or Worcestershire sauce, since I always have those items on hand.

While the umami-savvy among us can wing it on our own, I sure can see the market for this product.

Who among us doesn't use purchased blends of seasonings in our cooking?

Sometimes we use those blends for convenience, sometimes it's because the blend is just right for our taste, and other times we don't want to purchase the individual seasonings.
I'm 99% happy with Tj's products and I think this is yet another great idea.

I will give it a try.
$1.99 isn't that much to spend to try. And I can always return it if I don't like it.

While the umami-savvy among us can wing it on our own, I sure can see the market for this product.

Who among us doesn't use purchased blends of seasonings in our cooking?

Sometimes we use those blends for convenience, sometimes it's because the blend is just right for our taste, and other times we don't want to purchase the individual seasonings.
I'm 99% happy with Tj's products and I think this is yet another great idea.

+1 most use shortcut store bought spice blends, bottled sauces etc. Why not use this also.

I agree with you. I was responding to the paragraph I quoted - if we're knowledgeable enough to use a splash of fish sauce to add umami, I see it as an unnecessary extra. I do indulge myself occasionally with kitchen ingredients, but for me, this wouldn't be one of them. One more thing to remember I have :LOL:

I can see it being helpful to new cooks, though.

However, it's more than just a splash of fish sauce. ;)

Ingredients: Tomato paste, garlic, anchovy paste (anchovies, salt, sunflower seed oil), black olives, balsamic vinegar (acidified grape must, wine vinegar, caramel), dehydrated Porcini mushrooms, Parmesan cheese (pasteurized milk, rennet, salt), citric acid, olive oil, wine vinegar, sugar salt.

Come on, Kayelle, that was just an example. I'd bet that you and I both have several items on that list. I use what I think is appropriate for the recipe I'm making. Seems a little weird and unnecessary to use them all at once.

But of course, YMMV ;)

I'd give it a try.

It's only a couple of bucks and sounds like it has enough natural preservatives in it to last a while. I'm cooking for one, like several others here, and it might be nice to have a tube of yummies to kick a small dish up a notch or two. JMO :)

Come on, Kayelle, that was just an example. I'd bet that you and I both have several items on that list. I use what I think is appropriate for the recipe I'm making. Seems a little weird and unnecessary to use them all at once.

But of course, YMMV ;)

Sure, I actually think I have all those ingredients listed but for the convenience of lil squirt of of that concentrate at 2 bucks a tube, it sounds like a good idea for my kitchen.:)

I think it sounds interesting. I've got all the ingredients here too, but for the convenience, I'd buy a tube too.

"Umami". Even non-foodies have heard that term at least once over the last few years, just because it's one of the latest terms to get lots of press. I'm guessing that TJ's marketing department, a very savvy group of people in my opinion, decided that that one word would nab enough casual shoppers/cookers to make it worth their while. Smart marketing.

That being said, even though I have anchovy paste, fish sauce, Worcestershire sauce, dried porcini, etc, I just might toss one of those tubes into my cart on one of my trips to TJs when I want to try something new.

I would try it, although I've never been to a Trader Joe's.

mofet, is there one by us? I think there may be one on 17.

I would try it, although I've never been to a Trader Joe's.

mofet, is there one by us? I think there may be one on 17.

Rt 17 north Paramus
Rt 3 west Clifton
River Rd Edgewater (around where the Binghamton was)
Irvington St Westwood
Hamburg Turnpike Wayne
Millburn Ave Millburn
Willow Ave Hoboken

Here is a link to this area >>>Stores | Trader Joe's

I will be going to TJ's to get blue cheese for my dip for New Years. So I will be picking up some Umami to add to my other salads etc.

Also Baconesque popcorn

IMG_1418.JPG

Back
Top Bottom