"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-20-2011, 01:08 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
The best toast is when you just lay the slices of bread straight on a wood stove. I've never tried it with white bread.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:11 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
What are you using to toast? Toaster or toaster oven?

I use a toaster oven and find that if I leave toast in the oven after the cycle shuts off the oven, the bread drys out and becomes brittle. A a result, I take the toast out right away at the end of the cycle and set it out to cool.
I use a fry pan.

My toaster's in the closet, so I need to make space for it.

As for the toaster oven, it's horrible. My sister got it, and it turns bread to bricks. I like that golden brown crust on the surface of my toast. Can't get that on this toaster oven, without it turning into a stone.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:24 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I use a toaster and a rather twee toast rack, I prefer my toast to be brown by nature and brown by design. I like my toast cold and crisp like a thick version of Melba toast, the butter has to be cold and unsalted. The twee rack facilitates this. How can anyone use limp "soldiers" to dip in a boiled egg, its just not cricket!
Here endeth my anal post of the day.
Ps cockney rhyming slang for toast is holy ghost with good reason.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:43 AM   #14
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush View Post
Hi, I love toasted bread that maintains that crunchy texture on the surface... but from my experience, it's just not that simple...

It would be great if Alton Brown had an episode on the science of toasting bread - superior method (oven, fry pan, toaster oven, toaster, etc) and superior bread (white, whole grain, wheat, rye, etc).
There is a Good Eats episode on toast. It is called Toast Modern.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
... How can anyone use limp "soldiers" to dip in a boiled egg, its just not cricket!
You use your fork to push the bread into the yolk and wipe up the plate with the limp... errr... soldier
Of course, it helps if you're American and holding the fork in the "wrong" hand anyway, using your off hand to hold onto the bread.

I like my toast lightly golden and soft. Much more toasted than that is inviting crumbs all over the table (and my shirt) as I bite into it. The older the bread, the toastier the toast due to the lack of moisture in the bread. I've always preferred store bought bread for toast, but if I wanted it crispy, I would take the slices out of the bag before I started cooking breakfast so they could dry out some.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I make toast on a 12 in. cast iron griddle. I use Whole Wheat... buttered first. The buttered side sizzles when it's flipped over. Crispness is determined by time/temperature on the griddle....Extremely hot and quick will produce a crisp surface and soft inside...Medium low for a longer period will produce an over all crisper toast....Very low temperature for a long time will produce a Cracker. I usually go for the medium low toast version ~~ In fact, I'm head to the kitchen rat now!!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I make toast on a 12 in. cast iron griddle. I use Whole Wheat... buttered first. The buttered side sizzles when it's flipped over. Crispness is determined by time/temperature on the griddle....Extremely hot and quick will produce a crisp surface and soft inside...Medium low for a longer period will produce an over all crisper toast....Very low temperature for a long time will produce a Cracker. I usually go for the medium low toast version ~~ In fact, I'm head to the kitchen rat now!!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I leave my bread in the toaster a little while after it's done just to avoid "toast sweat".
Toast sweat.

If I'm doing several pieces in the toaster,I avoid toast sweat by making tee pee's with the pieces, so they can't lay on a surface.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Toast sweat.

If I'm doing several pieces in the toaster,I avoid toast sweat by making tee pee's with the pieces, so they can't lay on a surface.
Yup, me too.

I heard the term "toast seat" on Frasier. He or his dad was complaining about the other one leaving toast sweat on the counter.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yup, me too.

I heard the term "toast seat" on Frasier. He or his dad was complaining about the other one leaving toast sweat on the counter.

It had to be Frasier's dad who was complaining about toast sweat. Frasier would have called it toast perspiration.

Tags
bread