"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Any Honey Connoisseurs Around?

I know the flavor of honey is somewhat tempered by the plants polinate while they are making the honey. My question is... If you were going to collect honey from around the country... what flavors would you collect? I am trying to avoid the more bitter or sour flavors like sourwood.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Sous Chef

There was a guy that worked for my husband a couple of years ago, his grandpa used to raise bees for honey. He said clover and alfalfa are mild and most people like that.
But for a stronger taste buckwheat and what they call wildflower is pretty good. He had his hives near orange groves. Good flavor.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I picked u p some Lavender honey and it is wonderful..I just used some with lime juice to put on fresh fruit salad...it went like hot cakes.
kadesma
Old 06-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilasman View Post
My question is... If you were going to collect honey from around the country... what flavors would you collect? I am trying to avoid the more bitter or sour flavors like sourwood.
Just picked up some New Zealand clover honey. It's pretty mild and inoffensive, but brings back wistful memories of home for me.

It sounds like you're about to head out into the wild and collect it yourself. Is that what you meant? If so, it sounds like fun. What do you have to do, and what precautions need to be taken?
Old 06-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Executive Chef

At $58.71 for 1419cc of Ohio maple syrup, the $16 we paid for the last 473cc of honey we purchased from our local bee keeper seems to have been a bargain. The faintly citrus-like flavor of our local honey may well be due to the preponderance of bittersweet in our area. We enjoy the local honey most on sesame covered Italian bread with sweet butter, after the honey has crystallized.

One of our favorite beverages is home brewed iced tea with honey and lemon but use the more affordable BJ's brand of domestic honey for the tea.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Correction: $16 for 946ml of honey
Old 06-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
Master Chef

my grandpa raised bees and rented out his queens and hives to local farmers. he sold his honey to local farm markets. his buckwheat was soooooooo good. darker honey is usually better than light honey.

i like the peach honey i got in georgia.

on a side note he also was using royal jelly and bee stings for medicinal use long before it became the rage. we're talking 70 -80 years ago.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
Master Chef

I love and prefer buckweat honey, imo it is the best
Old 06-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I love and prefer buckweat honey, imo it is the best
me also but some ppl think it is to strong in flavor. i love it on a halved grapefruit.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #10
Master Chef

We have a local guy who raises bees, and sells honey at the farmer's market. It is soooo good. I was even able to buy a little "in the comb" honey from him, which I love to heat up, wax and all, and spread on my toast or biscuit.

I have been told that local honey is good for fighting allergies, but I really haven't noticed that. I just like it!