Any Honey Connoisseurs Around?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
I know the flavor of honey is somewhat tempered by the plants polinate while they are making the honey. My question is... If you were going to collect honey from around the country... what flavors would you collect? I am trying to avoid the more bitter or sour flavors like sourwood.

There was a guy that worked for my husband a couple of years ago, his grandpa used to raise bees for honey. He said clover and alfalfa are mild and most people like that.
But for a stronger taste buckwheat and what they call wildflower is pretty good. He had his hives near orange groves. Good flavor.

I picked u p some Lavender honey and it is wonderful..I just used some with lime juice to put on fresh fruit salad...it went like hot cakes.
kadesma

My question is... If you were going to collect honey from around the country... what flavors would you collect? I am trying to avoid the more bitter or sour flavors like sourwood.
Just picked up some New Zealand clover honey. It's pretty mild and inoffensive, but brings back wistful memories of home for me.

It sounds like you're about to head out into the wild and collect it yourself. Is that what you meant? If so, it sounds like fun. What do you have to do, and what precautions need to be taken?

At $58.71 for 1419cc of Ohio maple syrup, the $16 we paid for the last 473cc of honey we purchased from our local bee keeper seems to have been a bargain. The faintly citrus-like flavor of our local honey may well be due to the preponderance of bittersweet in our area. We enjoy the local honey most on sesame covered Italian bread with sweet butter, after the honey has crystallized.

One of our favorite beverages is home brewed iced tea with honey and lemon but use the more affordable BJ's brand of domestic honey for the tea.

my grandpa raised bees and rented out his queens and hives to local farmers. he sold his honey to local farm markets. his buckwheat was soooooooo good. darker honey is usually better than light honey.

i like the peach honey i got in georgia.

on a side note he also was using royal jelly and bee stings for medicinal use long before it became the rage. we're talking 70 -80 years ago.

We have a local guy who raises bees, and sells honey at the farmer's market. It is soooo good. I was even able to buy a little "in the comb" honey from him, which I love to heat up, wax and all, and spread on my toast or biscuit.

I have been told that local honey is good for fighting allergies, but I really haven't noticed that. I just like it!

I buy the local honey...it's not flower specific....just what the bees find on any given day, time of the year etc. It's usually pretty dark, and very rich tasting...I buy mostly quart fruit jars that include a large piece of comb...Fun to chew it on occasion. The clover honey I've bought in Grocery stores is almost flavorless by comparison...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom