Originally Posted by CraigC
I believe that sharks urinate through their flesh and skin. When they die, the urea converts back to ammonia. Soaking in milk is something I've heard draws out the urea/ammonia. Probably will help with the moisture issue as well.
PS - Now you'll probably be throwing it out.
Do a little research on sharks and you will find that the livers of a very few, specialized sharks (those that can live in fresh water) store urea, and when they dire, bacteriological action tuns that urea into ammonia. The same is true, to a lesser extent, of all sharks, skates, and rays. If cooked fresh, there is no ammonia or urea present in the flesh. This family of boneless fish has to be prepared fresh.
The fins of skates and rays were also cut into rounds and falsely sold as scallops, as the flavor is similar.
I don't eat sharks, skates, and rays as they are hurting in numbers in the world's oceans. Besides, I can't catch them in the Great Lakes anyhow. This is the same reason I avoid cod, and will purchase lesser grade fish like pollok. We have to share some responsibility for the world we live in.
Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North