Any other forums you all frequent for cooking other than this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright then, I will do my best

To start with, it is very red, and kind of shiny. I google image searched peking pork and a fair amount of the results were orangish or brownish. Not saying that the color really matters to me, but the dish I am thinking of was definitely red.

The pork was boneless, rather flat/thin, and rib-esque shaped.

The "skin" came across as being breaded, but it wasnt particularly crispy, possibly due to the glaze. There glaze/sauce stuck to the meat and didnt pool in the bottom of the dish at all.

I dont think there were any veggies or onions visible in the dish.

As far as the taste goes, it was similar to sweet and sour pork dishes, but definitely more sweet and less sour, if it was very sour at all.

After a bit of scrolling through images on google, I was able to find this, which looks fairly close:

HK-Causeway-Bay-San-Mateo-Sweet-Sour.jpg

For the record, I am not as picky as my description, I just though any detail might help.

Okay Peking/Szechuan dishes tend to be less saucy and more spicy than say cantonese.
The batter/skin would be beaten cornstarch and egg, I use only the egg white.
The sweetness and color of the sauce is probably the addition of red bean paste and or red chilli bean paste.
The pork may be beaten loin.

This is a adaption of Chen du ze jee to suit the restaurants patrons I think.
If you google Sunflower Food Blog you will find some good home style recipes.

My, you are very ambitious for a novice cook. Hope you enjoy exploring the culinary world with us.

I'm a member of the BBC UK food forum,
if you like your meat rare its the place for
you, warfare and blood letting is the norm.
Ravich my home city is Liverpool we have the
oldest Chinatown in Europe, give me a bit more
info into the Peking Pork dish (there are a lot)
and I may be able to help:)
Bolas, that made me laugh. :LOL:
Now, about the "Peking Pork". You sure you don't
mean "General Tao's Chicken"? Everything fits
except the chicken.

Omgosh...I was just posting a link to Peking Pork
and when it posted here the link read "Peking Pork&Cat".
I am soo NOT going to post that! :sick::(

I love discusscooking.com
I've looked a little bit at other forums, even joined one I think. But, I lost it and it didn't appeal to me as much as discusscooking does. Everyone is so nice and helpful.

On another note, I do have to admit that I do love people's personal blogs. Foodies I guess you call us. I have tried so many awesome recipe's off people's personal blogs and some people really put there heart and soul into blogging. That has got to be one of the best inventions/ideas yet....blogging.

Molly mate, I had never heard of G/Tso chicken so I just had a look on the net and it seems to be an American invention. The clue for me was Rivach's discription(deep red sauce) not the pic which he said was not the dish but close.
In Liverpool China Town we have a Peking/Szechaun restaurant called the Yuet Ben, when I was a child it was in the front room of a terraced house, on friday and saturday nights the family would put tables in the front room and the Mum would cook, it then moved to a small cafe. A world known food critic said in an article he wrote about 40 years ago "this is the only authentic Szechuan cooking I have eaten outside Hongkong" because people traveled from all over to eat there they had to move to their present location.
On my travels the only Authentic style of chinese cooking that is not adapted is Dim Sum, Dim Sum chefs are artists who do not cook other styles. I hope this does notsound like a lecture:)

Sure, there are about a bajillion other forums you could find, but...eh? what would the point be for? When I want to talk cooking, I come here, when I want to talk dogs, I go THERE, if I wanted to talk to camera people, I would go there....It's all about sticking & choosing a new place that you can call "home" on any speciliazed topic that suits you. As far as cooking goes? THIS ONE suits me just fine!! :)

I didn't know that about General Tao's Chicken...very interesting. Thank you for your research and for the interesting background of authentic Szechuan Cuisine that you've experienced in your past.

And MidnightMerlot, well said.

I'm looking for a place where I can go to ask a range of questions about cooking, whether it's recommendations on what brand of tuna to go for, or where to find a good recipe for thai food that wont tell me to put ketchup in pad thai. This seems like one place, but I'd like to have more than one source. Any recommendations? I just found this by googling "cooking forums" and clicked on the first result.

Your question kind of bugged me because I can't imagine wanting to go anywhere else, when I get all my answers here.

I decided to check out other forums. They are hard to use, first off. One wants you to join a "board" where the discussions are all about regional food.

Now how would I get a great recipe like MsMofet's Confetti Soup in a forum like that. Not to mention you don't get to know the people and have fun with them.

I don't feel any attraction to these boring other forums. It's good enough that we find recipes wherever we go, but we come HERE to share them.

Here you have access to recipes from all over the world, and to people who share their experiences, good and bad, related to cooking or not.

Then again, maybe you've figured all this out by now.:chef:

Before I joined this FANTABULOUS FORUM I had joined another... ERRRRRRR they actually split people into groups, Pro chefs, home cooks, can't boil water, and don't know diddly squat :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: God forbid you went to the wrong place, you are quickly told that you must move yourself to the group of idiots you truly belong to... Who on earth would want to belong to that kind of forum!!! Just sayin......... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Before I joined this FANTABULOUS FORUM I had joined another... ERRRRRRR they actually split people into groups, Pro chefs, home cooks, can't boil water, and don't know diddly squat :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: God forbid you went to the wrong place, you are quickly told that you must move yourself to the group of idiots you truly belong to... Who on earth would want to belong to that kind of forum!!! Just sayin......... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's crazy!

How are you supposed to learn anything? Do better and achieve greatness? Boy, those pros must feel threatened.:wacko:

Food Fight?

Is this one of the food fights I was warned about when I joined? lol:LOL:
I love this site, and besides, when I put cooking forum into google this is the first thing to come up. It has to be a sign right??

Is this one of the food fights I was warned about when I joined? lol:LOL:

No, that is over in the Off Topic Forum. Just be careful, I think they were throwing around Guacamole the last time I checked. :ROFLMAO:

By all means shop around. They don't come any better than DC! :)

(oh and make mine veggie and anchovy)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom