Any simple recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheProphecy

Assistant Cook
What are some simple recipes to get me started on cooking? The only things I have cooked before are just eggs.

Try this one.. .

Bread Pudding
Ingredients
6 slices day-old bread
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Break bread into small pieces into an 8 inch square baking pan. Drizzle melted butter or margarine over bread. If desired, sprinkle with raisins.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Pour over bread, and lightly push down with a fork until bread is covered and soaking up the egg mixture.
Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped.

how bout this one I recently found and saved..

Macaroni and Cheese (Stove Top)

8 ounces elbow macaroni -- uncooked
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper -- or to taste
2 large eggs
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
6 ounces evaporated milk
10 ounces sharp cheddar cheese -- shredded
1/2 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce -- or to taste

Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Cook your macaroni in this until just al dente, according to the package directions. Drain well, then return to the pot. Add the butter and toss the macaroni well to coat. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, evaporated milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir the egg/milk mixture into the hot pasta, then add the cheese. Reduce the heat to low, and continue to stir and cook until cheese is melted and mixture is creamy. Serve.

Serving Size : 4

I reckon chilly days are scarce in Miami, but soup is good on such days.
Here is a favorite here.
Caldo Verde (Green Soup)
6-8 cups of water.
1 pound of kale or mustard greens, washed well and sliced thin. (See how below)
5 or 6 medium size russet potatoes, peeled, whole.
4-5 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped.
1-2 pounds of smoked link sausage (I generally use local smoked sausage, but any smoked sausage will do. You can add canadian bacon as well, if you like)
Salt and pepper to taste
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (for drizzling in the bowl.)

In a large pot, bring the water to a boil.
Add the potatoes and the garlic and the sausage. I know that 4-5 cloves of garlic seems like a lot, but the flavor will be quite mild after the soup is done.
Leave the sausages whole, If you slice them beforehand they tend to get tough.
Let this cook on medium heat (a moderate, not a rolling boil) until the potatoes are tender.
Meanwhile, take the washed greens, remove the main stalks from the leaves as they are rather tough.
Make several stacks of the leaves. Roll each stack, one at a time and slice thin, so that you end up with thin strands of greens. It will likely look like grass clippings , but this is what you want.
Let the potatoes cook until they are tender.
Remove the sausage and set aside and slice into 1/4 inch or so slices, when cool enough to handle..
Take a potato masher and break up the potatoes in the water.
Just break the potatoes into small pieces. Not like mashed potatoes, we are looking for small chunks.
Turn the heat on high and boil furiously for 5-10 minutes.
The starch in the water will start to thicken a bit.
Reduce heat to medium and add the greens.
Cook the greens for 20-25 minutes. They should turn a bright green and be tender. You may certainly cook them longer if you wish, if they seem not done to your liking.
Add the sausage slices and let cook until the sausage is hot again.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with a nice crusty bread and a glass of your favorite wine.
Drizzle a little olive oil over the greens and enjoy.

Try this one.. .

Bread Pudding
Ingredients
6 slices day-old bread
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Break bread into small pieces into an 8 inch square baking pan. Drizzle melted butter or margarine over bread. If desired, sprinkle with raisins.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Pour over bread, and lightly push down with a fork until bread is covered and soaking up the egg mixture.
Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped.

so if i dont have vanilla extract i cant make it?

so if i dont have vanilla extract i cant make it?
Exactly. It will dramatically change the taste and since you are brand new to cooking, I wouldn't start out altering recipes yet.

As great as the recipes listed sound, for a first time cook all but the bread pudding sound really complicated if you've only ever cooked an egg.

TheProphecy, what do you want to cook? You keep asking some very general questions without a lot of specifics. What is easy to me could drive you up a wall. I've suggested this before, why not make a list of foods you like and then ask for simple recipes to prepare those. You haven't learned to swim yet and you're trying to jump in the deep end and hoping not to drown.

i just came back from the store and my vanilla extract is a somewhat clear color. it's nowhere near the brown looking ones i find on the internet. can i still use it?

and to callisto: maybe something dealing with meat...for example sirloin steak?

i just came back from the store and my vanilla extract is a somewhat clear color. it's nowhere near the brown looking ones i find on the internet. can i still use it?

or something related to baking - i have some flour left.

Sounds like you bought imitation instead of pure extract. What brand did you buy? When I go to the store I only ever buy McCormicks. It's the only brand the stores sell that I trust.

Maybe a nice marinaded steak to start. It's easy to grill or even broil.

it says "caribena" extracto de vainilla blanca and it means white vanilla extract and it smells somewhat alcoholic, with a vanilla smell too. where do they sell mccormicks?

You bought Mexican white vanilla. As vanilla beans are dark, I wouldn't trust it. Where did you buy it? All regular grocery stores sell McCormicks (or Shillings for those on the west coast).

Try sole done under the broiler like this;
Mix equal parts parmesan, dijon and mayonnaise. Spread on fresh or thawed sole, although other white fish will do. Place under the broiler until the topping goes brown or slightly darker. (2-4 min) Simple, but tastes more sophisticated.

i just cooked my first bread pudding :) thanks so much vickie for suggesting, here's a picture:

img_795157_0_3a2c397a216f54ef18436fb55252a086.jpg

can you guys give me feedback? thnks

p.s. it deinflated after a while, what does this mean

EDIT: the inside came out a little raw so i put it back in 350 degrees at 15 minutes...good or not?

As they say, the proof is in the pudding. What did it taste like? Thats all that really matters at this point. You can work on presentation later. For now, get the basics.

Back
Top Bottom