"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree with Andy. I often eat them raw... IMO they are close enough to bologna/ring bologna in their makeup, and people don't think twice about eating lunchmeat raw.
I've never used a grillpan though. I just set them right on the grate and cook them until I like the color. And I like the natural split look, though I grew up eating them scored for the most part, at least fryed hot dogs I did.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #12
Sous Chef

I've gotten really sick from undercooked hotdogs, Andy.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyWater View Post
I've gotten really sick from undercooked hotdogs, Andy.
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope it never happens again!
Old 12-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Scoring the hotdog makes it safer to eat. As what Andy said, it is half-cooked already but not cooked fully. Just needed to cook a little more to be fully cooked, that is why some people cut it with lines to cook it faster. :)
Old 12-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Hot dogs are fully cooked out of the package. Cooking them in a grill pan or elsewhere serves to heat them through and color the exterior. That really doesn't take too long.

I know, I know, you're going to cook them fully before you eat them, "just to be on the safe side". It still doesn't take a long time.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Hot dogs are fully cooked out of the package.
When we went camping we used to eat hot dogs right out of the package when we couldn't get the fire going quick enough. It was perfectly safe to do since hot dogs are already cooked when packaged.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:55 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Wow, I didn't know hot dogs were fully cooked from the package. I sorta suspected that it was half-cooked, but I did a quick search and discovered most sources citing 160 as the appropriate internal temperature. That's why I came over here. You guys seem to know what you're doing.

Thanks a lot, everybody!
Old 12-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush View Post
Wow, I didn't know hot dogs were fully cooked from the package. I sorta suspected that it was half-cooked, but I did a quick search and discovered most sources citing 160 as the appropriate internal temperature. That's why I came over here. You guys seem to know what you're doing.

Thanks a lot, everybody!
It is printed right on the package. "Fully cooked ready to heat and eat".
Old 12-22-2010, 04:58 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

+1 more about hot dogs being fully cooked before packaging. but that doesn't mean they can't still go bad and make someone sick. afterall, cooked meat will spoil, just not as fast as raw meat.

that said, i've eaten many a dog right from the package, as gb mentioned, before a campfire could be started.

getting back to the op's question: my dw boils hot dogs for a minute or two before cooking them on a grill pan because it's a bit healthier. par boiling helps to remove a little of the fat as can be seen in the leftover water from the boiling step.

i prefer my dogs simply boiled, but she and our boy like them a bit crispier with the grill marks on them.

as far as scoring a hot dog, brat, or sausage goes, i would only score the ones that are already cooked before being packaged. hot dogs, brats, and kielbasi are good for that.

but sausages containg raw meat such as sweet/hot italian, or fresh chorizo (not smoked or cured) should never be scored before cooking or you will just let out all of that delicious melting fat contained within it's casing. if you do that over the grill, you'll end up with small grease fires no doubt.

don't tell my wife i said that last part...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
+1 more about hot dogs being fully cooked before packaging. but that doesn't mean they can't still go bad and make someone sick. afterall, cooked meat will spoil, just not as fast as raw meat.

that said, i've eaten many a dog right from the package, as gb mentioned, before a campfire could be started.

getting back to the op's question: my dw boils hot dogs for a minute or two before cooking them on a grill pan because it's a bit healthier. par boiling helps to remove a little of the fat as can be seen in the leftover water from the boiling step.

i prefer my dogs simply boiled, but she and our boy like them a bit crispier with the grill marks on them.

as far as scoring a hot dog, brat, or sausage goes, i would only score the ones that are already cooked before being packaged. hot dogs, brats, and kielbasi are good for that.

but sausages containg raw meat such as sweet/hot italian, or fresh chorizo (not smoked or cured) should never be scored before cooking or you will just let out all of that delicious melting fat contained within it's casing. if you do that over the grill, you'll end up with small grease fires no doubt.

don't tell my wife i said that last part...
I'd include kielbasa in the don't score category.

When making kielbasa and cabbage, I found that adding the kielbasa too early and cooking it until it split resulted in tasteless meat.

I fixed that by adding the kielbasa cut in large chunks and burying it in the pot and taking the pot off the heat, giving it at least 10 minutes in the hot liquid before serving. (After the cabbage and potatoes were completely done.)

The cut edges let some of the flavor into the liquid, but the kielbasa tasted like sausage instead of rubber.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote