"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-16-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Anybody cook hot dogs on a grill pan?

I was wondering if a grill pan was a good one-stop designation for cooking a hot dog... or do I need to boil it first, and then just use the a grill pan for the grill marks?

I checked, and it says that the hot dog's internal temperature should be 160 degrees. So my question is, whether or not a hot dog can reach that internal temp simply on the grill... or it needs to be transfered to the oven, or boiled beforehand, etc.

Thanks!

Old 12-16-2010, 12:41 AM   #2
Honey Badger

Grill pan would work beautifully for your Dawgs. That one stop would work just fine.

Preheat the pan. Score the hot dogs any way you want. 4 score one side, 3 on the other. Put them into the preheated pan. Turn and cook them to your liking. When the ends open up you know they are fully cooked. They won't need to be transferred anywhere but to a toasted bun with condiments :)

Munky.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I often use a grill pan for hot dogs and brats. I do "steam" them in very shallow water first, a few minutes for the dogs and longer for the brats (in beer) if starting with frozen or barely thawed pups. but if they are at or near room temp, that's not necessary, (except for the brats in beer).
Old 12-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Right on for the brats in beer, Robo. I cook my onions in the beer first, then add the brats. Such flavor and the leftover beer juice makes a delicious liquid for a sauce (for anything but the brats).

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:50 AM   #5
Cook

BBQ the sausages in teriyaki, leave it in colander to dry and then dip into teriyaki sauce then BBQ again~
Old 12-19-2010, 01:23 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Grill pan would work beautifully for your Dawgs. That one stop would work just fine.

Preheat the pan. Score the hot dogs any way you want. 4 score one side, 3 on the other. Put them into the preheated pan. Turn and cook them to your liking. When the ends open up you know they are fully cooked. They won't need to be transferred anywhere but to a toasted bun with condiments :)

Munky.
Thanks for the reply.

I was wondering what you meant by "scoring" the hotdogs. Do you mean to make an incision with the knife? I've seen some people do that, and I wondered why...

I tried googling, and it turned up "box scores" LOL

Could you please elaborate on the "scoring" part? And how deep does the incision have to be?

PS: What if I don't "score" it? How long do the dogs usually take to cook? 5 minutes both sides?
Old 12-19-2010, 01:24 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
I often use a grill pan for hot dogs and brats. I do "steam" them in very shallow water first, a few minutes for the dogs and longer for the brats (in beer) if starting with frozen or barely thawed pups. but if they are at or near room temp, that's not necessary, (except for the brats in beer).
Thanks robo.

PS: If you know anything about "scoring" a hot dog, pray tell.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:41 AM   #8
Cook

*cut a few line on on the sausages...
Old 12-19-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
Sous Chef

i would think the hot dogs would cook fine; chickien breast does & it's a lot thicker.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Hot dogs are fully cooked out of the package. Cooking them in a grill pan or elsewhere serves to heat them through and color the exterior. That really doesn't take too long.

I know, I know, you're going to cook them fully before you eat them, "just to be on the safe side". It still doesn't take a long time.