Anybody out there have a bad back? Yes, this is a cooking question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
It is early morning hours and I'm looking at a sink full of dishes from last night's dinner. Usually I cook, hubby washes. But lately his back has been bothering him. My back almost always hurts in one way, shape or form. Counter tops, sinks, stoves, I swear, are actually meant for women who are between 5' and 5'4". My husband and I are close in height, that is to say the height of the average American man, 5'9". I can't afford to have a custom-made kitchen where all the counters and sinks are about 4" higher (I think 6" would be even better) than what is the norm. But hunching over the counter is giving both of us literally a pain in the back. When sciatica is really acting up for me, I'm trying to learn to sit on a high stool, or at the kitchen table when doing lengthy chopping. Anyone else have this problem?

Oh, yes! For things that need to be done at the sink, (The leaning over to rinse at the faucet strains my lower back) I usually end up working is short shifts of a few minutes at a time and resolving myself to the fact it's going to take twice as long than the average person. Often, I'll find other things to do around the kitchen while my back ache settles down.

I have the same problem and I'm 5'5". I have Sciatica on both sides along with several other problems from falling down some stairs. I have an island and there are times I do sit on a stool to do lengthy prep work. The sink I also have to do what I can and then sit and rest my back when needed. Ah, what I would give to have my dream kitchen built just for me and me only.

If I am standing in that position too long then my back starts to ache. They need to raise the standard counter height.

I have the opposite problem , my counters should be 2 inches lower, since I'm 5'1"
I always get back pain doing prep work ,dishes etc. My counters are 36 " high.

Claire, an island may be a good thing for you if you have room for it. You could come pretty close to getting the height you want. I have the opposite problem - I'm short just over 5'3" and my counters seem to tall for me. I do some of my prep on the kitchen table.

Being 6'1" and having spondylolysthesis and degenerative disc disease, I (literally) feel your pain. I'm blessed to have a wife willing to do the dishes, because it would cripple me.

Your problems are that of most men. I'm 6'2" and my back gets tired if I have been standing at the counter for a long time.

I'm the same way, 6'0" and any longer than 5 minutes at the sink and I start hurting, peeling potatoes, carrots, etc and dishes kills my back. Though having a thick cutting board helps on cutting anything up.

I am 5'9", have three fractures in my lumbar region, a knee replacement and arthritis, fibromyalgia, bursitis and more. I also cook for a living - go figure!

Anyway, I have a few tips for you.
1) if you are standing at a counter for a long period of time, put one foot up on something such as a thick phonebook, anything that is at least three inches. This will help align you better. You can even switch feet back and forth.

2) get a foam or rubber mat that is at least 3/4" thick. You don't have to get expensive ugly black professional kitchen mats. My SIL went to Walmart and got 2 foot brightly coloured interlocking squares that she puts in the areas she needs them.

3) The island idea is great. My DH and a friend made me one that I can wheel into my small kitchen or store away when I don't need it. It was made just to my height so that I can chop, mix, etc. very comfortably.

Last edited:
Many years ago my back would bother me if I was standing too long, sitting too long, lying too long, well... you get the picture. I tried EVERYthing and went to a number of medical professionals and naturopaths to try to find relief. There was nothing structurally wrong with my back and all attempts to "cure" me were useless. I thought I was doomed to a life of chronic back pain. One day, my Osteopath asked if I had ever considered acupuncture. I was skeptical, thinking that maybe it was something that you had to BELIEVE IN for it to work. He said that the treatment has been around for centuries and many people show significant improvement for a wide range of ailments, including back pain. I was willing to try anything, so I scheduled a visit.

On the first visit, the Acupuncturist spoke to me and explained how the treatment works. She told me that people "store" their life stress in different parts of their bodies... that some people get frequent headaches, some have chronic lower back pain, and who DOESN'T know someone who seems to have extremely tight and painful shoulder muscles? Anyhow... she began placing the tiny needles into my back at precise locations. I have to tell you I felt better than I had in a very long time after ONE treatment. I went back for more maybe eight or so more treatments over the next couple of months and have felt great ever since (that was over 10 years ago now). Sometimes I get temporary pain when I am moving furniture or working on some task on the floor for extended periods, but it is temporary.

Acupuncture might be something to consider. I swear by it and highly recommend it.

As far as your sink dilemma... I'm a little over 6'1" and, if I have a time consuming task at the kitchen counter, sometimes I spread my feet a little further apart to lower my trunk. I also try to multi-task where possible so I'm not stuck in one position, bent over, for extended periods of time.

Many years ago my back would bother me if I was standing too long, sitting too long, lying too long, well... you get the picture. I tried EVERYthing and went to a number of medical professionals and naturopaths to try to find relief. There was nothing structurally wrong with my back and all attempts to "cure" me were useless. I thought I was doomed to a life of chronic back pain. One day, my Osteopath asked if I had ever considered acupuncture. I was skeptical, thinking that maybe it was something that you had to BELIEVE IN for it to work. He said that the treatment has been around for centuries and many people show significant improvement for a wide range of ailments, including back pain. I was willing to try anything, so I scheduled a visit.

On the first visit, the Acupuncturist spoke to me and explained how the treatment works. She told me that people "store" their life stress in different parts of their bodies... that some people get frequent headaches, some have chronic lower back pain, and who DOESN'T know someone who seems to have extremely tight and painful shoulder muscles? Anyhow... she began placing the tiny needles into my back at precise locations. I have to tell you I felt better than I had in a very long time after ONE treatment. I went back for more maybe eight or so more treatments over the next couple of months and have felt great ever since (that was over 10 years ago now). Sometimes I get temporary pain when I am moving furniture or working on some task on the floor for extended periods, but it is temporary.

Acupuncture might be something to consider. I swear by it and highly recommend it.

As far as your sink dilemma... I'm a little over 6'1" and, if I have a time consuming task at the kitchen counter, sometimes I spread my feet a little further apart to lower my trunk. I also try to multi-task where possible so I'm not stuck in one position, bent over, for extended periods of time.

I do the same thing with the foot-spreading technique. I call it my "Ramones" pose ;)

I have an old spinal fracture (from a nice dramatic throw from a horse) that makes most ordinary chores involving long bouts of standing or bending very painful. I find my best friend (besides Advil) is a Professional Sportsman's Back Brace. Velcro in front; thick semi-stiff foam pad in back; back & sides reinforced with springy flexible metal strips. I wear it for housework, gardening - virtually anything where my back will be at risk.

Claire

I agree w/freefalling about the extra thick cutting board. I know Boos makes different thickness and the one that I have is about 3" thick. It really helps w/cutting chores. And I also agree w/Breezy about the brace. I had surgery on my lower back when I was in my 20's and I became addicted to my brace. It really will help w/the pain. Plus, my orthopedic doc told me (oddly enough) that just plain ol' walking is the easiest way for someone w/chronic pain to strengthen their core muscles, which in turn supports your back. I'm so sorry for your pain. I hope some, or even one of the suggestions given on this thread will help. You never know how much you use your back until you hurt it. Good luck!

This probably isn't applicable to all with back pain, but....

About 6 months ago I started doing leg and back stretching exercises twice a day.
My goal was to be able to touch the ground with straight legs, which I hadn't been
able to do since, well, like 35 years ago.

I can now!

AND... my chronic back pain (muscle, not nerve or bone) has pretty much disappeared. Strong muscles are happy muscles.

(As a 6' 2" guy, I too have developed the "sink squat" when doing dishes, LOL)

In my real life I'm a cabinet maker and woodworker. I find more and more people want specific heights these days and not just the normal 36" counter height. In days past especially bathroom cabinetry was way too low. Bathroom counters are now being done at 36" which is more comfortable for a wash sink. In doing different jobs I've found 38 inches to be good for me for a kitchen height personally. Didn't mean to get off track but it kinda sorta goes with this thread :huh:

I agree about strengthening one's muscles (the average person without medical conditions causing the pain). if you want a strong back, gotta have a strong front. Pilates is great for strengthening the core.
Careful with the braces, one doesn't want it to become a crutch, so to speak. They can be good, but they can be overused, doing the work one's muscles ought to do. Take the advice of your health care professional on that.
The best advice I saw here for those of you that are tall... raise the height of your workspace via a thicker cutting board, or a prep island that is high enough. Of course, that doesn't help with the sink.
: (

I personally do Pilates, which I truly believe has helped. Unlike some of you, and my own mother, this isn't as serious a problem as it could be. I do have a short stool (4" I think) that I prop the sciatica side foot on when it is a sciatica problem. My husband does do most of the clean up, most of the time. I think my kitchen was more or less built in 1901, give or take, and the average woman at that time was probably 5', maybe a little taller. But I think the counters are normal height, put in during the 40s or so. They don't seem any higher or lower than those in other homes where I've lived. I just happen to be a taller-than-most woman, and my husband is the same height. I actually think sitting to do more of the work is the answer. There is no reason I can't do that, just habit, what I was raised doing. Raised, I might add, by a 5'2" mother. The counters/sink always fit HER.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom