"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-17-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
Head Chef

Anybody tried cooking steak in a toaster oven?

I brought a small piece of steak to work today. We have a microwave and a toaster oven. I was just wondering if anybody had tried cooking steak (not 're-heating') in a toaster oven?

Seems to me like it might turn out okay if I were to season with salt and pepper and then broil it on a foil lined aluminum tray.

Anybody ever tried this? Another option would be to bake it in a foil covered aluminum pan.

Your thoughts?

Old 08-17-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
Everymom

Can't see why it wouldn't work as long as you had something to catch the drippings. Give it a go and tell us how it turns out Z. I think it would be just like broiling, only in a smaller venue.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
Head Chef

The toaster oven has a little metal rack that I could put above the pan, but I'm a little concerned that might bring it a little too close to the elements (single shelf, not adjustable). So you think it's okay to cook in the pan itself?
Old 08-17-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
Head Chef

I used to broil them in a big toaster oven I had years ago. Like Alix said, have something underneath to catch the drippings and you will be fine.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:57 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
well it cooks mini pizzas

wouldnt be my first choice but thats not the question just watch that it doesnt dry it outl.. or make it too hard
Old 08-17-2006, 12:59 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

For broiling, the rack is important as it raises the meat above any melted fat and keeps the fat aeway from the heating element. The meat should be close to the heat so the meat cooks properly.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:06 PM   #7
Everymom

Hey Z, as long as the meat doesn't TOUCH the element you are good to go. I'd certainly keep an eye on things though. Don't want to be walking away and coming back to a flaming piece of shoe leather.

You are going to have all your coworkers salivating when they smell your lunch.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:41 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

By coincidence, I was just today trying to figure out how to do the same thing at the office, but our toaster oven is broken.

somehow I don't think the microwave is going to help - altho it did well for some leftover steak and mushrooms I had last week. You can heat it gently at half power and it will turn out all right.

edited to add: I should have said RE-heat. And Z, you might get quite a line forming behind you if you begin with a raw piece of meat.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:29 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
I'd check the toaster over's instructions, maybe on line if you don't have the book. Some are designed to broil meat, some specifically warn against that -- I think it has to do with the type of heating elements used in a particular model. You don't want to risk having the fat catch fire -- boss might be a little upset if you burned the place to the ground.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:14 PM   #10
Master Chef

I've frequently cooked small steaks in our toaster oven & they came out just fine. However - our toaster oven came with its own separate broiler pan & rack, which made fire safety a somewhat kinder/lesser point.

Frankly, I'm not sure I'd feel safe broiling anything like a steak (little pizzas are another story) in an aluminum tray in a workplace toaster oven unless I had some sort of instruction booklet at hand.