"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-05-2007, 11:14 PM   #11
Head Chef

I have 9 extra large 3 ring binders full of recipes Iv'e culled from all over and a stack 3 inches tall to be put in a binder.. I put all of my recipes in plastic page protecters so I can take it into the kitchen and it it gets some thing on it it wipes off easly

Old 10-24-2007, 12:19 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

I have a notebook for jotting down recipes which are then transferred to a larger folder and catalogued.
I like the idea of the digital pen Harborwitch sounds like a great way to get those recipes well and truly organised.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:00 AM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I have one book with thick pages, in which I glue newspaper recipes that look good. I have a blue notebook (not small but not really big either) in which I write down tried (by me) and true recipes. I carry a little notebook with me, but I don't just write food ideas in it. I write down anything interesting that comes to me--sometimes recipes and food ideas. Plus I keep most of my recipes in a Word file. That way I can easily send them to anyone who wants one, and I can just print out the recipe when I want to make it. I am going to save my recipes from my Word file onto a Fly Drive to send to my daughter. I figure that will be handier for both of us than copying and emailing or snail-mailing them.

Barbara
Old 10-24-2007, 01:05 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Probably recipes are the biggest cause of my clutter. I get them from this forum, from food network, from southern living, from other forums, from friends. I have too many cookbooks, too many loose recipes and still I have to have more. I'm thinking about joining a group to rid myself of this compulsion. Every recipe looks better than the last. Perhaps I'm doomed!
Old 10-24-2007, 09:12 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Three three ring binders, one is blue... filled with printed recipes, recipes that I've ripped from magazines and recipes that I've written out... all sorted by catagory. Plus a whole bunch on the computer waiting to be printed out.

someday... I hope to go through all of them and make a fourth binder with just tried and true recipes. I haven't had time to do that though.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:19 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I have organized one full drawer of a file cabinet just like my in-hand recipe file. The folders are labeled just like my recipe file. This is where I put all my "scrap" recipes for future use/reference.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:48 AM   #17
Master Chef

I put my concoctions directly into my recipe files on the PC. I may understand my scribbles at the time, but figuring them out 3 months later is a different matter.
I have a little wire basket by the computer where I stash newspaper recipes, which I put in my files when I get time.

Periodically, I back my files up on CD, just in case.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
I put my concoctions directly into my recipe files on the PC. I may understand my scribbles at the time, but figuring them out 3 months later is a different matter.
I have a little wire basket by the computer where I stash newspaper recipes, which I put in my files when I get time.

Periodically, I back my files up on CD, just in case.
Yup, pretty much what I do. I've also taken to backing up my recipes onto a 128 MB Flash Drive, which I keep at work. This way I have access to my recipes while at work, as long as I have access to the boss's pc.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:40 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
Yup, pretty much what I do. I've also taken to backing up my recipes onto a 128 MB Flash Drive, which I keep at work. This way I have access to my recipes while at work, as long as I have access to the boss's pc.
This is a great idea, Allen! I'm going to dedicate a flash drive to recipes, too.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:19 AM   #20
Master Chef

In addition to filing recipes on the computer I have two large categorized photo albums containing pages with individual "picture" pockets that are easy to slip recipe cards into as well as clippings, etc. YOu can add more pages if necessary. In addition to that I also have old cookbooks with recipes written on the front and back pages. Luckily my favorites have "backups" in that I gifted my MIL with the same books and I inherited hers. She didn't write in her books and none of them have stains and years of use and abuse though one Betty Crocker paperback favorite is held together by a rubberband. I threw my copy out years ago as it was falling apart. So glad that she saved hers.