Anyone here use lard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lard is made from pig fat. If you have Muslim friends, or Jewish friends that keep kosher, you can not use lard. You could use beef, sheep or deer tallow, which is kind of the equivalent, but be sure to check the ingredients list to ensure there is no pig fat in it.

I did a bad thing. I was faced with doing one of my least favorite things today...going to walmart. I had the dentist at 11 in my little town and the appt. with the eye doctor at Walmart was at 1. I had an hour to kill so I made the best of my time and picked up a few things I needed for the house. I found 2 point cut corned beef briskets which my local place doesn't carry. I also found a 1 lb tub of lard. It cost a whole dollar ;). Of course it was that partially hydrogenated crap but I bought it anyway.

I'll make a few things with it and if I feel it makes a difference in the flavor of what I cook I'll buy the leaf fat from the slaughter house and render it myself. First on my list will be making a roux for some seafood gumbo.

I make my own lard. When we take a hog in to get butchered I have him save the fat trimmings. I do it in the house. Its not bad. A little smell but don't stink.

The closest thing to lard that I use is saved bacon grease. I like to use it for searing a roast before slow cooking it, or for pan frying steaks or chops.

YES! Bacon fat is awesome for searing and - for making Yorkshire pudding... put a little in each muffin mold, heat it up, then add the liquid mixture. Wicked...

RD

Craig noticed Penn Dutch had leaf lard when he was there grabbing something a couple of weeks ago but didn't really look at it because he was in a hurry. We were there today and it was $6 a pound and came in several pound sealed rolls. We'll have to give it a try soon.

Back
Top Bottom