"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-24-2016, 06:32 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Anyone here use lard?

I don't bake but I'd like to try in in place of other oils in some recipes. If you use it where do you buy it? My supermarket doesn't carry it, period. Besides I've read that the stuff available in most supermarkets is partially hydrogenated.

I found some on line, It's $25. for a lb. Geeze Louise...$25. for a lb or lard. Go figure? I'll pay it but I won't be happy about it. If I like the results I get there's a up the road that slaughters only hogs. I bet they will sell me the fat to render my own.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:37 PM   #2
Head Chef

Render your lard outside, it is a bit smelly to do in the house, and if you do, it lingers. I'm in WI and we can buy unrendered fat for less than $1.50/lb. In the past few years the price of rendered lard has been anywhere from $0.90 to $2.50 per pound. Most people don't ask for the unrendered fat when they buy a butchered pig, so find a butcher or someone that processes whole cows and pigs and ask them.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:40 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Anyone here use lard?

Huh? $25!

Liz, is there a Mexican store in your area? Lots of pure rendered lard in ours, and it's sure not $25.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I bought pork fat from a local whole-animal butcher for about $2/lb. and rendered it myself. To me, it smelled like bacon, so I was not unhappy with that

I haven’t used it in baking yet - just for savory foods. And, of course, since it's a new thing in my kitchen, I often forget that I have it

My mom told me she made chocolate chip cookies with chicken fat once and they were the best she ever made.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:42 PM   #5
Head Chef

You could try Boe Farms in Moselle MS
They have a facebook page, if you are a facebooker.
https://www.facebook.com/Boe-Farms-1.../?tab=overview
If not, you might call them at (866) 920-1889
Old 04-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #6
Master Chef

I've never used it but my Mama made spectacular pie crusts with it. They were like none I've ever tasted since. She said the secret was lard.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:58 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
You could try Boe Farms in Moselle MS
They have a facebook page, if you are a facebooker.
https://www.facebook.com/Boe-Farms-1.../?tab=overview
If not, you might call them at (866) 920-1889

That's the place right down the road from me.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:27 PM   #8
Master Chef

I had not been able to find it anywhere by us in MA. The Food Police probably won't allow it to be sold. However, Amish communities have no problem with it, so I get a tub or two whenever we visit our kids in OH. I think the last price I paid for pure rendered lard was $1.89 a pound. If I lived back home we could have worked out a deal for me to ship it to you. Sorry.

I've used it for pie crusts. Makes an old-fashioned, flaky crust. The flavor is a bit different, though, so I mix it about half and half with butter. My SIL and her hubby don't like the taste of lard in the crust at all. That's OK by us, since we get an entire pie to ourselves. Hmm, that might not be a good thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
...And, of course, since it's a new thing in my kitchen, I often forget that I have it...
I've bought it the last two trips in to OH and still can't remember to use it for savory stuff.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:52 PM   #9
Master Chef

I also use half lard and half butter for biscuits and pie crust. It makes the finished product is flaky and tender. I also replace 1 TBSP flour with 1 TBSP wheat germ per cup of flour. Which gives you a nice mild "nutty" flavor.

I can only get the shelf stable lard at the markets around here. I will have to try and find a butcher or Mexican market around here and get leaf lard.

Just found this on Amazon

Leaf Lard - Non-Hydrogenated - Pastured, Pork Leaf Lard - Cooking & Baking Oil -16 oz
Old 04-24-2016, 09:12 PM   #10
Head Chef

It is available in 5 pound tubs in the regular groceries here. Don't remember how much it was but it's not expensive. I've used it in savory and pie crusts. Makes really flaky pastry.