Anyone tried Flatout Flatbread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
I made a wrap with pastrami, pepperjack, mayo, mustard, pickle and lettuce. Has anyone tried a grilled pizza yet?

They have a nice flavor, but I had a dickens of a time trying to pry one away from the stack. Would it help to freeze them first?

I keep them in the refrigerator and haven't had an issue with them sticking. They are so fluffy - I love it!

TomatoMustard said:
I keep them in the refrigerator and haven't had an issue with them sticking. They are so fluffy - I love it!

I put them in the fridge. May have been a long ride in a hot car that made them stick. What else do you do with them?

I've used them for salad wraps, taco night, breakfast burritos.. i just replaced my tortillas with them for a few weeks.

Made a pizza tonight with it, turned out great! I am still having trouble getting them apart.

Here's my grandma's flatbread recipe. It is not soft, but it is my favorite scandinavian flat bread.

1 pt. whipping cream
1/3 c sugar
2 tsp salt
2 T melted lard (and you have to use lard)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 c graham flour (hard to find now, but necessary, organic food places have it or mills that do special grinds)
3-1/2 to 4 c white flour

Directions:

1. Mix ingredients in order above.
2. Roll out on floured pastry board (Bethany) to cover the board.
The secret is that you have to flip it and roll both sides, you need to be able to "see" the red circle on the pastry cloth.
3. Place on an ungreased baking sheet,. Prick all over with a fork. Bake at 350-375 (depends on the oven) until crisp but not brown--each one takes about 3-4 minutes. You don't want this brown. When cool, break into pieces.
4. Store in an airtight container. This stores for months. My grandmother always had this in her pantry for when we came to visit in the fall-winter. We make this for Christmas. You eat it like a cookie.

(This is my maternal grandma's recipe--she was of Swedish decent, my paternal grandmother was Norwegian).

Last edited:
Being that I prefer fresh, I don't buy these sorts of things--they are really easy to make and don't take a lot of time, not if you've ever made lefse or pita bread.

When I went to grad school in NB, I discovered that the grocery stores did not carry tortillas. So, I learned to make those (almost 30 years ago) so I could make enchiladas, soft-shell tacos, etc. Now, I always make my own wraps.

You are talented!

I found the flatbread at Whole Foods in MPLS. We don't have it here. Will have to try making it!

It is easy to make flatbreads. I make chapati and naan as well, both are easy to do. I'd suggest starting with flour tortillas or pita pockets.

Back
Top Bottom