"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #11
Executive Chef

We use Mission Super Soft tortillas most every single time.

Flour and Corn.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
We use Mission Super Soft tortillas most every single time.

Flour and Corn.
Do you find the taste a bit different? I do, but not so much that I will stop using them. I get SO tired of throwing away old tortillas and I also get tired of making tortilla chips from those old tortillas. Or in chilaquiles.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Do you find the taste a bit different? I do, but not so much that I will stop using them. I get SO tired of throwing away old tortillas and I also get tired of making tortilla chips from those old tortillas. Or in chilaquiles.
Personally, I find the Mission brand fairly bland. If you are all about great fillings, then they are fine. They work, and are easy to work with. But I love that great flavor that I used to get from tortillas made at "The Tortilla Factory" in the Old Town part of San Diego, and also in the little Mom & Pop taco stands that used to be all over the place in Southern California. That aroma just filled your sinuses, with the flavor tickling your taste buds to make the fillings really come alive. I can't get that same experience with most tortillas found in supermarkets, hence the reason I made my own last night, for the first time. I know the ingredients to use, and even got the ratios of water to Masa Harina almost perfect. But they were a little too dry to fold easily, though they did fold without breaking. Also, I simply used a cutting board, parchment paper, and a wide, heavy egg-poaching pan to squish them into shape. They were perfectly round, with smooth edges (which was a great and appreciated surprise to me), but were a real challenge to make. It required considerable down force on that pan to squish them sufficiently thin, just using brute strength. When I made the dough just a little wetter, the tortillas stuck to the parchment paper and tore.

I plan on purchasing a press, then following the directions, so as to make the forming process easier. All in all though, using such primitive technique, they still had substantially better flavor that any I can buy at a store around here.

I don't make good food so that I can say; "Hey, look at me. Look what I can do. Rather, I make it because I enjoy eating and sharing it with family and friends. Otherwise, why cook at all. There's always Taco Bell if you just want to fill the belly.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #14
Head Chef

I, too, find those Mission Super Soft tortillas a bit too bland.

I used to make my own using a tortilla press like the wooden one pictured here and another type that was metal.

I never had consistent results but back then I had family enough that a package of 'regular' corn tortillas didn't go to waste from getting too old to use.

Now I wouldn't have the strength to press down on those tortilla presses.
And life goes on.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
My taste buds are not as they were years ago, so i cannot tell any difference. My best sense is texture. They feel good to me.

Quote:
I, too, find those Mission Super Soft tortillas a bit too bland.

I used to make my own using a tortilla press like the wooden one pictured here and another type that was metal.

I never had consistent results but back then I had family enough that a package of 'regular' corn tortillas didn't go to waste from getting too old to use.

Now I wouldn't have the strength to press down on those tortilla presses.
And life goes on.
Bland? Bread is supposed to be bland?
I am a store bought tortilla guy. Never made a fresh one, and may have never eaten a fresh one. I do eat in Mexican restaurants as often as possible, so I most likely have had fresh ones?
So Mission Super Soft it is for me. Plus they last a good while in the fridge.

Tags
corn, tortillas