"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
Head Chef

Anyone tried Mission Super Soft yellow corn tortillas?

These are really soft and don't crack when they're a few days old. BUT
here's the list of ingredients:

Ground Corn Treated With Lime, Water, Cellulose Gum, Propionic Acid (to Preserve Freshness), Benzoic Acid (to Preserve Freshness) Phosphoric Acid (Preservative) Guar Gum, Amylase.

This is probably a case of Better Mexican Food By Chemistry!
I've used them and they really do stay soft----but they don't taste authentic. It's nice for me (except for the chemicals) because I can use part of a package and the rest stay fine, even outside the fridge. Or in the fridge.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
Master Chef

I love the taste of real, fresh corn tortillas. It's one of the things I loved about living in San Diego. The flavor is so intense. What pretends to be fresh corn tortillas where I live are nearly flavorless. To get the good stuff, I have to travel about 2 miles south to visit my P.A.G., Sprout, their husbands, and the sproutlets. Sprout purchased some tacos from a Mexican Restaurant she found and shared them with us. She also bought some tamales. They were absorutley amazing. Right Shaggy?

I have to learn to make fresh corn tortillas at home. I can no longer be satisfied with the inferior products available to me!

Anyone have a good recipe/technique, without the need for a tortilla press, or special, domed CI pan?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I love the taste of real, fresh corn tortillas. It's one of the things I loved about living in San Diego. The flavor is so intense. What pretends to be fresh corn tortillas where I live are nearly flavorless. To get the good stuff, I have to travel about 2 miles south to visit my P.A.G., Sprout, their husbands, and the sproutlets. Sprout purchased some tacos from a Mexican Restaurant she found and shared them with us. She also bought some tamales. They were absorutley amazing. Right Shaggy?

I have to learn to make fresh corn tortillas at home. I can no longer be satisfied with the inferior products available to me!

Anyone have a good recipe/technique, without the need for a tortilla press, or special, domed CI pan?

I'm probably not the person to answer this question but would this do?
Soft Corn Tortillas Recipe - Food.com - 419023
Old 04-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
Master Chef

I was curious, so I got out my package of corn tortillas to have a look.

They're "mi rancho" brand, and the ingredient list is corn, water, and lime. They're made by a small company in a predominantly Mexican community about 2 hours north of here. They're good - very 'corny'.

Unfortunately, I had to buy a package of 30 and there is no way I will be able to use that many before they go bad.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
Master Chef

That recipe looks good, but is more of a Johnny-Cake than a traditional corn tortilla. Teh kind I'm looking for has no wheat flour in it, and is made of Masa Harina, salt, and water. That's it. I know what's in them, just not the ratio of ingredients, and more importantly, the technique for making them. But thanks for the effort.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
Head Chef

Way back when we could buy fresh tortillas at a Mexican store where they made them. They would come off the conveyor belt type of a machine where they were made then snatched by a woman who would wrap them in plain white paper and twine.

They were GREAT!

Just a few years ago in New Mexico I could buy fresh tortillas, tamales etc from mamacitas standing on the street with their wares. Needless to say NM has very lax laws about such things. The tortillas made by hand were much thicker.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:58 AM   #7
Cook

Would this help?

How to Make Corn Tortillas, Homemade Tortilla Recipe | Simply Recipes
Old 04-03-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

Corn Tortillas Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I always have a bag of masa harina around. Love the these corn tortillas, much nicer than store bought.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #9
Wine Guy

That's the same recipe I use, PF. And I agree, they are much better than most store bought. I use an inexpensive press to make mine and they come out great.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Lookie what I found Chief!

Tags
corn, tortillas