Apple Cider time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
The orchards are open--now's a good time to stock up on fresh-pressed cider. It freezes well. I usually take one jug and pour the cider into 1 c. containers. Once frozen, I pop the contents into a zippy. That way, when I want to make an apple cider-maple pork roast in February, I have apple cider.

I love Apple Cider. I never thought to freeze it, thanks for the tip. There is a Cider Mill right near my house, I will be stocking up this week.

In Canada can you buy untreated apple cider?

In the US it is pasteurized and an additive is put in it to retard spoilage.

When we were kids my Father used to buy a barrel of it that contained 1/3 pear juice. Then he added honey, oatmeal, raisins and whiskey. We got the top of the barrel as sweet cider, he got the middle as hard cider and my Grandmother got the bottom of the barrel as vinegar.

a few years ago bought an apple cider press. Now its our annual tradition to go to the local apple orchard ( about 20 minutes away) pick the apples, bring them home and press some cider. It freezes well. actually, thanks for reminding me. I forgot I had a gallon of cider still in there.

Back
Top Bottom