APRONS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Does anyone know if these are around anymore? I mean the kind they call cobbler not the ones that tie around the waist? When I cook I seem to get more of the food on me than on the meal. I look at my clothes and see more grease which I have t o try to wash out by pretreating. I think how long I have been cooking and still can't keep on the plates. My mother used to sew but they are really starting to fall apart. Very sad because the material was leftover from other things she sewed. I don't have the patience to sit and sew beside doing this extensive cooking. She knew she couldn't buy them as good as she made so she just made up her mind to do it. Do you all wear aprons or do you just accept the grease and wear the same clothes everyday? That would be idea. Just don't change. Wonder what it would look like at end of week? Probably smell pretty bad too. I don't want to pay over $20 for single apron. I don't need name or brand on it. Just strong material like cotton/denim. Am I asking for lot?

If you mean the ones with a bib, Bed Bath and Beyond, Linen and Things, Martha Stewart or on the store at Food TV. I got one as a gift several years ago when I subscribed to GOurmet Magazine.

I saw some of them at a restuarant supply store - didn't check the cost. I have a denim one I got off ebay from Pampered chef. I don't use it as much as I need to!

Gets some sweat pants and shirts. White if you like. Cheap, you're covered and when they fall apart wash the car with them!

I got a chef's jacket (name embroidered on the left breast and all!) and waist apron as a gift recently... 8) *lurvs his GF*

In the Kitchen said:
Does anyone know if these are around anymore? I mean the kind they call cobbler not the ones that tie around the waist? When I cook I seem to get more of the food on me than on the meal. I look at my clothes and see more grease which I have t o try to wash out by pretreating. I think how long I have been cooking and still can't keep on the plates. My mother used to sew but they are really starting to fall apart. Very sad because the material was leftover from other things she sewed. I don't have the patience to sit and sew beside doing this extensive cooking. She knew she couldn't buy them as good as she made so she just made up her mind to do it. Do you all wear aprons or do you just accept the grease and wear the same clothes everyday? That would be idea. Just don't change. Wonder what it would look like at end of week? Probably smell pretty bad too. I don't want to pay over $20 for single apron. I don't need name or brand on it. Just strong material like cotton/denim. Am I asking for lot?

I have the most wonderful memories of my maternal grandmother and my mom wearing these cobbler aprons! Thrift shops are a great source for these aprons.

I have seen them in a catalog -- I think it was Vermont Country Store.

Grandma's Apron

The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, but along with that, it served as a holder for removing hot pans from the oven;

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken-coop the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids; And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove. Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled it carried out the hulls.

In the fall the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that "old-time apron" that served so many purposes.

Send this to those who would know, and love the story about Grandma's aprons.

REMEMBER THIS!
"Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool;
Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw."

Very, very true, and brought back vivid vision of my own grandmother, mudbug. I remember her without one on occasion, but those memories are rare!

I love these types of old aprons. I try to pick them put whenever I find them in good condition......just reminds me of my grandmas & greatgrandma's. A lot of the old pics I have of them they are wearing them. I actually only knew my maternal grandma and she always wore one of these aprons because she was constantly cooking. You would sit down to a huge breakfast with everything you can imagine and a few hours later here she was, saying, "honey are you hungry". Each meal was a huge feast. I sure do miss her.....she was the ultimate rolly polly, loving, gentle, christian grandma.

The only kind of apron my Mom ever had were the kind that tie at the waist and I could never understand the point b/c I'm more likely to get food stains on me from the waist up - not the waist down.

If you don't need to look pretty, over-size T-shirts or over-size button-up shirts (cut the sleeves off above the elbows) do a good job; if your household doesn't yeild a good supply you can always check out your local thrift shop.

Williams-Sonoma has aprons. they have a catalog and a website.
if you choose to order the catalog, the aprons are on pg. 94 and 95 of the most recent one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom