"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2018, 01:14 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

At a local Irish Pub, I recently had the best grilled cheese I've ever eaten in my life .. messy to be sure!

Grown-up’s Grilled Cheese
Sharp cheddar and smoked Gouda on garlic Parmesan crusted sourdough bread with bacon and sliced grilled tomato.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac

I am with Andy, though I don't add any garnishes. Just cheese, bread and enough butter on the outside to grill it to golden perfection!

Old 04-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I switched to a mayo schmear instead of butter a couple of years ago. We like it better that way, and I've noticed less chance of the bread getting too dark if I look away. I have a knack for "extra toasted" sometimes.

For me, there are standard grilled cheese sammies and fancy ones. The standard would be cheese plus one - tomato or bread-and-butter pickles or bacon. Start adding more than that, it's fancy. Kind of like what the local Cleveland chain, Melt Bar and Grilled, has built a little empire on. Not your typical grilled cheese, but interesting on occasion.

"If you don't use your head, you gotta use your feet."~~~more Mom
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Thinly sliced ripe tomato makes the grilled cheese pop!
+1! I love tomato on grilled cheese. And IMO, the tomato needs to be in between two slices of cheese, to anchor it into the sandwich. No bueno when one slice of the bread slides off...
Old 04-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #15
Master Chef

As Kay mentioned - sourdough (or French), I'd rather not even make a grilled cheese unless I have either of those breads. My usual whole wheat for cold sandwiches just isn't the same for a GCS. And YES on the cheddar and smoked gouda! YUM....

GG....I'm addicted to Penzey's Sandwich Sprinkle on grilled cheese, since the first time I tried it.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Growing up, mom used deli American cheese on plain white bread. No "cheese food" or "cheese product."

Now, I prefer to play around with different cheeses, and use a more robust bread. I like a good crunch on my GCS.

CD
Old 04-14-2018, 05:49 AM   #17
Master Chef

Homemade pimento cheese.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:12 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I was reading this thread to my son and he corrected my thoughts on his garlic grilled cheese and asked me to post this.

He butters one side each of two slices of thickly sliced white bread well, then sprinkles the buttered sides with a good pinch of garlic powder and just a little dried parsley. The other sides of the bread is left dry.

The buttered/garlic sides are placed down in a hot frying pan, then a heap of grated sharp cheddar, jack, colby, and mozzarella cheeses are placed on one slice.

The uncheesed slice is flipped over on top of the cheese, then the sandwich is weighted down for a minute or two, then flipped over and weighted down again until the cheese inside is fully melted.

I've had it many times and it's really good. Instead of garlic bread with cheese, this is cheesey bread with garlic.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #19
Master Chef

I usually stick with a couple slices of white American cheese, good bread, and butter.

If I want to kick it up a little I add a liberal shake of red pepper flakes, hot sauce or cayenne to the cheese before I put the top on it.

I also like a side of salsa for dipping if I'm not having cream of tomato soup.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Homemade pimento cheese.
My wife loved pimento cheese. We're divorced.

Okay, seriously, pimento cheese is a serious Southern staple, but I just never developed a taste for it -- homemade or out of a plastic tub.

CD

Tags
cheese, sandwich