"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Are there any limits to the number of ways to make a good gilled cheese sandwich?

Being National Grilled Cheese Day, it came to my scattered mind that I have seen countless grilled cheese sandwiches videos, made every imaginable way, and want to try almost all of them. Of course, my arteries tell me I should not actually try them all.

So, is the grilled cheese sandwich the creative cook's perfect canvas?

Here are a few samples...

Your thoughts, please...

CD

Old 04-12-2018, 11:58 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

No, there are no limits. Also, your doctor should have told you that the fat you eat has very little to do with the plaques in your arteries.

After melting the butter in the pan, I sprinkle it with Penzeys Sandwich Sprinkle, so the outside of the bread is seasoned. I like a combination of extra sharp cheddar and Havarti cheeses and a schmear of homemade whole-grain Dijon-style mustard on one side of the bread for a little tang. Good stuff

I like the crown of of sizzled cheese Jamie made.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:38 AM   #3
Executive Chef

It's 430 am my time. (Yes, I got a whole night's sleep but I may not be fully awake..) I could (but won't) raid the refrigerator and make a grilled cheese. Too early for breakfast.

I have sprinkled grated parm on the outside of the bread before grilling.
I like ham in my grilled cheese. or bacon
I've read one can use mayo instead of butter, but why?
I've made grilled cheese fingers for dipping in tomato soup. I prefer my sandwich alongside the soup.
I've made grilled cheese "croutons" as a soup garnish. Silly, and soggy too soon.
I cut off the crusts before grilling for the grand kids and cut in triangles. I notice their parents leave the crusts on and the kids eat 'em. 1/2 sammie each.
Velveeta makes an acceptable grilled cheese, Kraft singles do not. IMHO
Cheddar and pepperjack is my go-to grilled cheese.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:15 AM   #4
Head Chef

I had a surprise with a grilled cheese that I bit into and had jam in it! Not bad but not my preference.

Once in a while I do a sandwich with sliced Granny Smith and a swiss cheese of some sort.

Although Velveeta is good for making Mac n Cheese, it's a pain to do a sandwich - I like Kraft singles for grilled cheese, it's about the only thing they're good for LOL. Oh wait, they're also good to for stuffing in celery, do a roll-up wrap with ham and a few other things for the kids.

Thinly sliced sweet onion with bacon is my preferred choice. You cook the bacon and then use the same pan to do the sandwich.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:59 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Grilled Cheese Sandwich Contest, deadline May 15, 2018
Here: Grilled Cheese Academy - Recipe Contest

Recipes from previous contests: Grilled Cheese Academy - Recipes with 155 recipes.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:03 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I saw a thing on the news yesterday about this. While sandwiches are known to have been only around for 150 years or so, eating bread and cheese goes back millenia.

This was one of the first things I taught my boy how to cook, then he decided to make his own version (because all of the cooking shows we watch say you have to be original, smh).

I taught him the basic butter, white bread, and cheese, but then he added powdered garlic and paprika. It's actually really good.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Thinly sliced ripe tomato makes the grilled cheese pop!
Old 04-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

I recall a lengthy discussion we had some time ago about grilled cheese sandwiches. People get really carried away trying to outdo each other.

IMHO, any grilled sandwich that just so happens to have cheese in it is NOT a grilled cheese sandwich. Bread with cheese as the main ingredient and some garnishes.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #9
Head Chef

Absolutely spot on Andy. Anything else too elaborate becomes a Panini or some other name. The star of the show is the melting cheese, the greasy fingers toasted bread and one or two garnishes that do not overpower.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm also in the KISS camp when comes to GCS's.

Tags
cheese, sandwich