Are There Any Recipes You've Lost or Would Like to Have???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tea sandwiches covered with jelly

The sandwiches that I mentioned before are small open sandwiches covered with a kind of clear jelly. They are sold in a pastry/tea shop. The owners are from Switzerland. My question is: If I make the sandwiches, how to cover them so the jelly is only in the top and the bread does not "soak up" the jelly? I will be grateful for any help and advise.
Is the jelly perhaps aspic? And is there a layer of fat, like butter on the bread as that would prevent the absorption of the jelly by the bread. Also if the bread was frozen before the jelly went on would probably work.

Tea sandwiches covered with jelly
Thanks Bilby for your advise, I will try to freeze or at least chill the sanwiches before pouring the jelly or aspic over the different filling or coverings: ham, sliced hard boiled eggs, beautiful tomato wedges, sliced olives, each sandwich had 2 or 3 little things. all so very well arranged they are also a feast for the eyes. Yes, they have mayonaise, but it was like big dots making part of the decoration.
Again, thanks and have a nice day (In here is just 6.50 am, the sun is just coming up! )

Hope not to do a real mess!!!

2belucile, could you perhaps have a look on the net for the website of the shop. They may have info on the sandwiches which might give a bit more of a clue.

It's 9:30pm on Tuesday 4 Dec here. And just a bit chilly! Especially for summer!

p_scubierto.jpg
Thanks Bilby for the idea, here are the sandwiches, it did not occur to me they could have an Internet page. Repostería Astor : Productos : Platos

To me, that one just in the front at the right looks like it has a layer of something sitting on the bread. Judging by the shape of it, I would also say that the jelly has been poured into a mould, maybe with some herbs/spices in it, then the fillings placed in once the jelly was just set but not firm, maybe even topping up the sides with each layer - hard to tell from the pic - then the last layer like cheese is put on, with the bread weighted down on top so that part of the jelly is covering the side of the bread to hold the fillings in but with most of the bread remaining out of the jelly. Chilled and then brought out to get to room temp a little before serving to revive the bread. But that's just a guess.

Certainly looks tempting that picture!!

"To me, that one just in the front at the right looks like it has a layer of something sitting on the bread." ---Yes. thats the one I had. Its bread. on top is the ham, sliced hard boiled egg, a dollop of mayonaise topped with parsley, a wedge of tomato, something else that I dont remember, and all is covered with the clear jelly or aspic. I will try my hand doing them that way, because the next time I go near that place will be in about 2 months. Even if the sandwiches drown in the jelly, my hungry nephews will gobble anything in sight.
Anyway Bilby, thanks for your help. Keep well.

Back
Top Bottom