Are There Any Recipes You've Lost or Would Like to Have???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LETTUCE WRAPS???

Went to California Pizza Kitchen a few weeks back and had the most amazing appetizer... Asian Lettuce Wraps! Does anyone have a (preferably) Tried & True recipe for these??? Thanks in advance! /rayt721

Hi Ray - this is the recipe I have always used: - MANY times!!!!!

Lettuce Wraps
like P.F. Chang’s®

Prep. Time: 0:45
Serves: 4-6

8 dried shiitake mushrooms (I just use regular shiitake/never find dried)
1 Tbsp. Hoisin sauce
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. dry sherry
2 Tbsp. oyster sauce
2 Tbsp. water
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. sugar
3 tsp. cornstarch - divided
2 tsp. dry sherry
2 tsp. water
salt and pepper - to taste
1 1/2 Lbs. boned, skinned chicken breasts
1/3 cup vegetable oil - divided
1 tsp. fresh minced ginger
2 cloves garlic - minced
2 green onions - minced
2 sm. dried chilies - optional
8 oz. can bamboo shoots - drained, minced
8 oz. can water chestnuts - drained, minced
1 head iceberg OR Bibb lettuce - leaves separated
1 package Chinese cellophane noodles - prepared

-Cover mushrooms with boiling water and let stand for 30 minutes; drain.

-Trim off and discard woody stems of mushrooms, then mince mushroom. Set aside.

-Combine Hoisin sauce, soy sauce, dry sherry, oyster sauce, water, sesame oil, sugar, and 2 tsp. cornstarch set aside.

-In medium bowl, combine 1 tsp. cornstarch, sherry, water, salt, and pepper. Lay chicken into mixture and spoon over to coat. Stir in 1 tsp. vegetable oil and let sit 15 minutes to marinate.

-Heat wok or large skillet over medium-high heat.

-Stir-fry chicken in 3 Tbls. vegetable oil for 3-4 minutes. Remove from wok/pan; set aside.

-Heat 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil in wok/pan. Add ginger, garlic, onion, and chilies; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add mushrooms, bamboo shoots, and water chestnuts; stir-fry 2 minutes. Return chicken to wok/pan. Pour in reserved mixture. Simmer until thickened and heated through.
-Spoon mixture into lettuce leaves and roll up.
-Break cooked cellophane noodles into small pieces; cover bottom of serving dish with them.
-Place wraps on top of noodles.
-Spoon sauce over wraps (see recipe below).

Sauce

1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbls. soy sauce
2 Tbls. rice vinegar
2 Tbls. ketchup
1 Tbls. lemon juice
1 Tbls. Chinese hot mustard
1-3 tsp. garlic chili paste
1/8 tsp. sesame oil
Related Cookbooks
Sauces

-Dissolve the sugar in the water in a small bowl.
-Add soy sauce, rice vinegar, ketchup, lemon juice, mustard, garlic chili paste, and sesame oil; mix well.
-Refrigerate until ready to serve the lettuce wraps.

(8) Visitor Comments:

I opted to use Ground Turkey as opposed to chicken because I was in a huge hurry and it was outstanding! I also used Garlic Wok oil as opposed to vegetable oil and it was just outstanding.

Well, the only thing I didn't recall about these is the noodles. I don't recall there being noodles, so I bypassed the noodle thing. Didn't have sherry, didn't want to go buy any just for a 3T, so I used brandy instead. And they state chicken breast, but they don't tell you that you need to cut them up into smaller pieces to eat it and successfully roll them up in the lettuce. But overall, they were tasty. Just a lot of ingredients and need to state something about the size pieces of the chicken...

I have found using a food processor or salsa chopper to cut up the raw chicken breast is quick and easy. You can cop it as fine as you prefer in minutes.

I had a Ladies Tea on the 1st of June 2002 and the Soothing Chicken Lettuce Wraps were to be my main course, if my trial run proved to be successful. What a delight! These were so good, and the ladies loved them! I plan to prepare them again when I have a group over for a meeting or a luncheon.

The cornstarch was weird. The lettuce wraps I lnow at PF Changs isn't a thickened mixture. The ginger was a bit overpowering. When I make it again, I may omit or reduce the amount of cornstarch as well as the ginger. Overall it was good.

This recipe was good but not the same as P F Chang's. It lacks the deep flavor, as well as dark color, of chang's appetizer. We added the dipping sauce that they mix up for you at the table to try to jazz up the flavor but it still was not the same. Keep working on this one; it has lots of potential.

My lettuce wraps tuned out great, I have family that has been with them, for years so I know a few ins and outs. I agree bout the chicken, cutting it up tiny, so I use gound chicken and it works best.

Juliev said:
I would like a good New England Clam Chowder recipe... the ones I have seen on the internet.. or in some of my cookbooks.. just don't cut it.. I had some once that had bacon in it.. it was awesome!.. it's weird.. because I don't like clams.. but I love clam chowder.. and the manhattan variety.

There is a cookbook called Monstrous Depravity , by John Gould (one of my all-time favorite authors), which has an excellent clam chowder recipe. I'd post it, but I lent the book to a friend and haven't gotten it back yet :( .

As I recall, you start with a quarter pound of salt pork, diced fine, which you fry down until it is crispy bits. Remove them and add some chopped onion; cook until soft--do not let them brown--; then add diced raw potatoes and some water and canned clam juice; cook until potatoes are almost done. Then add your clams, some cream or evaporated milk, and the salt pork bits. Put on the lid and let it steep over very low heat for at least a day, and two are better, stirring occasionally. S&P to taste somewhere in there. Also, chowder must always be stirred clockwise: "Never unwind a chowder." You can probably find the book through interlibrary loan if your local library hasn't a copy. (My local library of course does not own a copy, as it operates on the Demand Principle: Unless Everybody Wants It, Nobody Gets It; and its corollary, Later is Better, Latest is Best. Which results in: Old Is Outta Here. :roll: )

RE: Lettuce Wraps

Just a quick note to say THANK YOU to Elf for the Lettuce Wrap recipe. This TY note also bumps this thread up to the top for more requests and replies. Anyone have more ideas for contributing to this thread??? :)

Juliev said:
Baked Halvah:

5 eggs
1 cup butter, melted
2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cream of wheat
1 tsp baking powder

Beat eggs lightly. Add sugar, beating continuously. Add butter, cream of wheat and baking powder. Put in 12x8 pan. Bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool for 15 minutes.

Syrup: Cook 2 cups milk and 1/2 cup sugar on stove for 5 minutes over medium heat. Pour slowly over pastry until all is absorbed. Cut in diamond shapes.

Tahini Halvah (candy)

1 cup sesame tahini
1/4 cup honey
1 cup powdered milk - dry
1 tsp vanilla
Pecan meal

Cream until smooth tahini and honey. Add soymilk powder and vanilla. Stir well. Should be stiff. Sprinkle pecan meal in bottom of 8 inch square pan. Press candy mixture into pan. Sprinkle top with pecan meal. Refrigerate, cut into squares.

I'm resurrecting this thread because of this recipe. While I was posting in the "what did you order as a kid" thread, I remembered my dad would give me halvah every once in a while as a special treat. I still love it. Is this hard to make?

hmm i see this in the store sometimes, wouldn't mind trying it myself, good thing u bumped it. um what is cream of wheat?

That's interesting, thanks Katie E. I didn't know that at all.
Do you think you could substitute cornmeal in
Juliev's recipe?

Last edited:
Many years ago I had a recipe that I would like to make again, but it is long lost, or possibly misfiled! It was a recipe for Italian style meatballs made without ground beef or soy. The main ingredient was ground walnuts. It also called for Geo.(?) Washington broth. I saw it in a publication by a Seventh Day Adventist hospital (SDA's are vegetarians). The end product was wonderful and could be made ahead and frozen. It tasted just like a real meatball, but without the cholesterol, and negatives associated with the beef.

If you can help I would appreciate it so much. Thanks!

wow, what an old thread. anyone remember juliev? i wonder, did she ever hook up with darkstream?

ok, i'd love a recipe for an italian appetizer, stuffed hot cherry peppers in olive oil.
i've found a million recipes for the ones stuffed with meat and/or cheese, but the recipe i'm looking for has a sort of doughy or pasty stuffing. i think it was made with semolina flour and cornmeal and other ingredients, but i can't be sure.

anyone?

Can you find this one? "Puddin Pot"

It is a dish that I had several times as a child on the farm in South Carolina.

I know that it is a soup or stew served over rice. It has some pork in it. It also has pig ears and liver in it. I used to look forward to the end of harvest because this was always cooked on that day. You always felt special if they put an ear on your plate.

Oh the memories this brings back. :pig::pig::pig::pig:

Hello! some days ago I had some delicious sandwiches. they were small dainty sandwiches covered with jello. Any help will be very appreciated as I would like to be able to make them for Christmas. TIA to all.

Tea sandwiches covered with jelly

The sandwiches that I mentioned before are small open sandwiches covered with a kind of clear jelly. They are sold in a pastry/tea shop. The owners are from Switzerland. My question is: If I make the sandwiches, how to cover them so the jelly is only in the top and the bread does not "soak up" the jelly? I will be grateful for any help and advise.

Rom, saveloys are just over-weight and longer cocktail frankfurts. Just takes you longer to eat one and you're over the flavour a lot quicker!!!

Back
Top Bottom