"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-17-2007, 12:30 PM   #21
Master Chef

I have two boxes of salt in front of me. The "kosher" one and the pickling one. First says Salt, Yellow prussiate of soda (Anti-caking agent) the second one says Salt.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:42 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
I have two boxes of salt in front of me. The "kosher" one and the pickling one. First says Salt, Yellow prussiate of soda (Anti-caking agent) the second one says Salt.
I bet you use Morton's kosher salt.

Diamond Crystal has no anticaking agents. It also has larger crystals which dissolve better than Morton's.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:45 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr
Yeesh... shopping at Walmart for groceries? No offence, but don't they have normal grocery stores where you live? I know it's cheap, but do you really want to put Walmart quality food into your body?

Sorry, I just have a prejudice against Walmart. I might buy toilet paper and some other cheap junk there, but I can't imagine buying food from them... Surely you have discount grocery chains like Price Chopper or No Frills?
I was surprised at some of the things you say in your post. I have shopped at Wal-Mart on occasion and know that they carry the same brands as any supermarket. They also carry their store brand just like every other supermarket and I doubt if they can be called inferior. To assume that people who shop at Wal-Mart for groceries are somehow buying inferior products is unfair. You don't do the kind of business that Wal-Mart does by selling garbage. Their neighborhood stores called Wal-Mart Neighborhood store (clever huh?) are just as good if not better that most supermarkets. They just carry grocery items rather than merchandise like their other stores. In all fairness to Wal-Mart and the people who shop there, they carry good products at a reduced price. This is not an " I like or don't like Wal-Mart" thing, it's just reciting the facts as they really are.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:49 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
I have a box of Morton's kosher salt sitting here on my desk - Yellow prussiate of soda - but my box of Diamond just says "salt". We don't buy Morton's any more.

Uh, JasonR we have lots of wonderful grocery stores here - and as much as we hate the crowds in the Walmart SuperStore I have to say that every piece of meat or produce we've gotten there has been wonderful. They carry name brand products and the prices are usually good. We vary where we shop - the Mexican supermarket, the Asian supermarket, Safeway, SMart Foods, etc. just depends on what we're looking for.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:36 PM   #25
Executive Chef

I agree with yoy Drama Queen,The grocery store in town which is 45 miles away isnt that good so I drive another 20 a total of 65 miles one way to get decent produce and stock up at Walmart and buy meat at Safeway.A can of soup in town is around $1.50 as opposed to Walmart under $1.00.
I dont for some reason buy Walmarts Meats you know the ones wrapped in the styrofoam.I dont get a great feeling with their cut meats.Besides we eat mostly Bison and Whitetail Venison.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:35 PM   #26
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborwitch
I have a box of Morton's kosher salt sitting here on my desk
Okay, I'll bite. WHY would someone have a box of kosher salt on their desk?
Old 07-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Okay, I'll bite. WHY would someone have a box of kosher salt on their desk?
ROFLMAO: I'm glad you asked. I wondered too.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:48 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to muzzlet
Never heard of this before. However, a little Googling came up with this judicial opinion from the Indiana Court of Appeals in the case Hofferth v. State of Indiana:

"Inside Hofferth’s vehicle a powdery substance, later determined to be methamphetamine, was found. The officers obtained a warrant to search the vehicle further and found a box containing multiple lithium batteries, camping fuel, a box of kosher salt, and some clear liquid in a jug with a residue at the bottom, which was later identified as methamphetamine."

Here's the link if you want to read the whole case: http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions...1080601par.pdf

So, maybe there is something to it. However, just buy your kosher salt from somewhere else. Or, if you can't find it, I'll send you some! :)

Old 07-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #29
Senior Cook

Ok, I'll admit, I have a prejudice against Walmart. I live in a City and I don't drive. Walmarts are only accessible by car, so right off the bat, I'm not exactly in their customer group.

Also, while I'm not exactly a lefto tree-hugging type, the concept of giant box stores taking over the world... not exactly appealing. It's like Blockbuster video; once these mega chains take over everything, inevitably, you become at their mercy. Walmart decides, for whatever reason, not to sell kosher salt and presto, no kosher salt. Today you can walk down the street to Sobeys or IGA or whatever. Tommorrow? Maybe not.

I don't know... it's not that I haven't shopped there before for junk... but I don't exactly trust them.

But I know it's not totally rational, especially for boxed products like salt or named brand stuff. Still, I wouldn't touch meat or produce from them. I don't want to know where / how they get stuff like that. If it's anything like their electronics, probably made in China somewhere by children, and poorly too :)
Old 07-18-2007, 10:08 AM   #30
Chief Eating Officer

jasonr, I feel the exact same way as you do. I think the most important part of your post was saying that it is not rational. I feel dirty when I go into a Wallmart and it would gross me out eating any food that comes from there, even though I know that it is the exact same thing my supermarket carries (for things like salt and other pre-packaged items). It is a mental thing for me that I know is baseless.

I do buy some things there (cheap camping equipment like tent stakes and tarps), but as soon as I walk out of that store I feel like I need to take a shower.