Are we going to still be able to get Kosher Salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DramaQueen said:
You can make bombs with household items too. Doesn't mean they'll be pulling those items off the shelves anytime soon. Just wouldn't make sense.
true 'nuff...gasoline + orange juice = napalm (if you believe what you're watching when netflix sends you your movies, ha!)

but yes, the list of stuff that walmart stashes certainly varies from store to store. the one closest to my house hides all the replacement razor blades - for disposeable safety razors, mind you! - behind the counter, though the new schick & gilette handles + 2 pack of blades are right there on the shelf. this makes NO sense at all to me.

and if you want to know where walmart *isn't*, go check out the store locator map, and try to find one in d.c. nada. there's plenty out in the burbs, but none whatsoever in the district.

jennyema said:
Diamond Crystal has no anticaking agents. It also has larger crystals which dissolve better than Morton's.

Ain't that the truth? I never thought there would be that much difference but a friend recommended it (diamond) and now I won't be without it. I get mine at Smart & Final.

Same here, Wal-Marts are all over the place.....but not in the downtown areas where the municipal courthouse, police station, etc are. Heck, not much but lawyers are downtown anyway.

LOL... I'm a lawyer and I live downtown, so I can't argue with that :)

But seriously, in Toronto, there are no downtown or even uptown Walmarts that I have ever heard of.

As for buses... I don't even take the bus to work. If it's not within walking distance, then they don't need my business. These days, I don't even bother with the subway if it's within 60 minutes by foot. What can I say? Downtown has spoiled me. And walking beats the bus or driving most days.

The only Walmart I have ever seen in the Toronto area was one on the highway somewhere on the way to Blue Mountain. I bought oversized ski pants there once. (apparently, they only stock clothing for the plus-plus-plus-sized gentleman)

Look, I've got nothing against people shopping at Walmart. I understand why they do it, and I don't fault them for it. But that doesn't stop me from despising Walmart. It's an ugly blob of a store that exists in these little islands on the highway, only accessible by car, and sells the cheapest junkiest crap. Yeah it's cheap. But you get what you pay for.

And in case you accuse me of being an elitist, well yeah, maybe a little. But think about this: when Walmart takes over the world and wipes out all the little stores, it won't be people like me who are screwed. There will always be Whole Foods, Pusataris, etc... because those stores don't compete with the likes of Walmart. If you have money, you'll always have a choice. It's the people without money that are going to be shafted and forced to buy everything at their local Walmart.

jasonr said:
As for buses... I don't even take the bus to work. If it's not within walking distance, then they don't need my business. These days, I don't even bother with the subway if it's within 60 minutes by foot. What can I say? Downtown has spoiled me. And walking beats the bus or driving most days.

Agreed, walking is great. Although, it can be a hassle if you’re running late, sick or under the weather, it’s raining, it’s 20 degrees out, snowing, windy, near 100 degrees, humid, muggy, etc.

jasonr said:
Look, I've got nothing against people shopping at Walmart. I understand why they do it, and I don't fault them for it. But that doesn't stop me from despising Walmart. It's an ugly blob of a store that exists in these little islands on the highway, only accessible by car, and sells the cheapest junkiest crap. Yeah it's cheap. But you get what you pay for.

Yeah, Wal-Mart sells inexpensive items, but so does every other store. Target, K-Mart, Brunos, Food Land, Food World, Delchamps, Kroegers, Southern Food, Sure Save, Star Supermarket, Halloway’s, etc, all have inexpensive, generic, and store brand items.

At Wal-Mart, I’ve had 1 1/2 inch thick Black Angus rib-eyes cut to my direction. The steaks were $8.99 a pound. At Brunos, the Black Angus rib-eye was $10.99 a pound. Both are Black Angus, not a cheap or generic piece of beef, so why exactly would someone want to pay $2 more a pound? At Wal-Mart, I can get a whole pork tenderloin, cut and packaged by Tyson, for $2.99 per pound, but the same Tyson tenderloin is $4.99 per pound at Kroegers. Again, why pay $2 more per pound? When faced with an identical item, and one chooses to pay more for it, I don’t find that impressive, but rather a bit foolish. Unless, of course, you are trying to save something as valuable as money....time.

jasonr said:
And in case you accuse me of being an elitist, well yeah, maybe a little. But think about this: when Walmart takes over the world and wipes out all the little stores, it won't be people like me who are screwed. There will always be Whole Foods, Pusataris, etc... because those stores don't compete with the likes of Walmart.

As I said before, it’s not Wal-Mart that does it, it’s the customer. You vote with your feet. The independent stores can’t stay in business if no one is shopping there. I know a lot of people (myself included) that go to Wal-Mart because they are in a hurry (which can seem an oxymoron considering the crowds). At Wal-mart, you can get everything you need and quickly get back to your life. This beats making a trip to a meat market, a GM store, a feed store, a hardware store, an electronics store, a barber, a video store, and a mechanic. A full all day schedule of running around, 8 hours or more, can be accomplished in only 2 hours at a Wal-Mart. But, this doesn’t mean that I (or most people I know) shop Wal-Mart exclusively.

Wal-Mart may be very inexpensive, but here’s a bit of news that may shock some people, you can actually pay even LESS if you shop around. By making a special trip to a meat market, you can buy meat packages that equate to a price per pound that even Wal-Mart can’t touch. By going to certain specialty shops, you can buy dry and can goods cheaper than Wal-Mart. Go to the Farmer’s Market and you get produce at a level of freshness, and a low price, that Wal-Mart will never manage. A local bakery is cheaper and fresher than Wal-Mart. Find a trusted mechanic, and it’s cheaper than Wal-Mart. A local barber can be cheaper than Wal-Mart. The Mom & Pop video store is cheaper than Wal-Mart. The Mom & Pop computer and electronics store is a LOT cheaper than Wal-Mart.

You can easily spend a LOT less money by visiting several stores for all of your needs, and often I do. But if you’re in a hurry and don’t feel like driving (or walking) all over town, then a one stop trip to Wal-Mart (or Target for that matter) fits the bill.

jasonr said:
If you have money, you'll always have a choice. It's the people without money that are going to be shafted and forced to buy everything at their local Walmart.

Last I checked, Wal-Mart doesn’t give their items away. It takes money to get them past the checkout counter. And besides that, it doesn’t sound like people without money are being forced to buy at Wal-Mart, it sounds like the people without cars are being forced to go elsewhere.

Last edited:
:) If you lived where I live you would be grateful for WM the single grocery store here is not very good the produce is usually old or rotting.So I drive another 20 miles after driving 45 just to town there is nothing from where I live to town just mountains.I can buy a name brand tv,small appliances computer supplies and so forth I only go maybe twice a month it can take up to 7 or more hours just to hit the liqour store and WM and drive back home.If I chose to which I am not I could drive 3-4 hours one way to get to Santa Fe or Pueblo,CO or Colorado Springs and that usually involves spending the night.So yes I appreciate WM if I want specialty items like gourmet cheese and so forth I buy online, chances of finding what I want in a bigger town is unlikely any way the gas prices now are soo high it takes a small fortune to drive any where from here.By the way I can afford to shop other places so thats not the issue but I still cant see paying more for something I can get for alot less that would be just plain stupid.
Originally Posted by jasonr
WM has all the name brands you want not just a bunch ot junk I resent that comment, by the way WM is every where in America now WM is selling alot of expensive prescriptions for only $4.00 which helps alot of people with no insurance its even cheaper than co-payments yet I still get my prescriptions a the local Pharmacy if I did not have insurance guess what I would go WM.
Maybe where you live they sell a bunch of crap.

Last edited:
I think some of you out there are being overly emotional about Wal Mart
I am on social Security and have very limited funds for grocerys and I buy 99% of my grocerys from Wal Mart, True it caters to low budjet, middle class familys which is good the same cut of meat at safe Way was $10.00 at Wal Mart it was $6.50 and tasted just fine, my Wal Mart is all ways busy with working class people, now if that ofends you go shop where it cost more and only beautiful shop there in there BMW Caddies and Rolls. We don't rub off
We may have a smell becauce we sweat for our bread

I loathe shopping at Wal-Mart, but not because of some classist hatred of social inferiors like Dave implies--I just worry about cooking ingredients, particularly fresh ones, coming from a chain which is so gigantic and unscrupulous that it routinely abuses immigrant laborers and refuses to allow its workers to have a union. I can't imagine they are too stringent with their quality-assurance, and every bit of fruit I've purchased there, for example, has tasted cheaper than the slightly pricier stuff.

That said, I see the reason for its existence, and for non-perishables it's a great place to shop.

Dave Hutchins said:
I think some of you out there are being overly emotional about Wal Mart
I am on social Security and have very limited funds for grocerys and I buy 99% of my grocerys from Wal Mart, True it caters to low budjet, middle class familys which is good the same cut of meat at safe Way was $10.00 at Wal Mart it was $6.50 and tasted just fine, my Wal Mart is all ways busy with working class people, now if that ofends you go shop where it cost more and only beautiful shop there in there BMW Caddies and Rolls. We don't rub off
We may have a smell becauce we sweat for our bread

True, Wal-Mart caters to those who are on a limited budget, but I am not on a budget and am financially comfortable and I still shop at Wal-Mart. I didn't get where I am by buying the same product at expensive stores that I can get at Wal-Mart (or Target, K-Mart, Sam's Club, Costco etc.) much cheaper. I never shop the 'top" stores if I can get what I want cheaper somewhere else. Wal-Mart provides a service and I like what they provide so I will continue to shop there. I don't generally buy produce there but I have on occasion and found it to be very fresh. I'm still trying to figure out the statement that was made about produce tasting "cheaper" than the pricier stuff. HUH? Isn't it funny how a simple question about kosher salt can turn into a political thing? :LOL:

Last edited:
True, Wal-Mart caters to those who are on a limited budget, but I am not on a budget and am financially comfortable and I still shop at Wal-Mart. I didn't get where I am by buying the same product at expensive stores that I can get at Wal-Mart (or Target, K-Mart, Sam's Club, Costco etc.) much cheaper. I never shop the 'top" stores if I can get what I want cheaper somewhere else. Wal-Mart provides a service and I like what they provide so I will continue to shop there. I don't generally buy produce there but I have on occasion and found it to be very fresh. I'm still trying to figure out the statement that was made about produce tasting "cheaper" than the pricier stuff. HUH? Isn't it funny how a simple question about kosher salt can turn into a political thing?

As I said, I'm not in a position to shop there, since they aren't accessible to people without cars, at least not where I live. Talk about irony, ayyy? You need a car to shop at the "working class" grocery store. Only us rich fat cats have the luxury of shopping for groceries using our feet, while the "sweaty" masses have to drive in their cars.

But back to the point: I have no idea what their produce is like. Maybe it tastes ok after all. I just don't trust them is all. I dislike Walmart, not merely because I dislike the idea of big car-only box stores on ugly concrete islands taking over, but also because I seriously wonder where and how they get their food. I'm no organic-only tree hugging hippy, but I'm not too young to remember that not twenty years ago, they used to feed cattle the rendered remains of other cattle, and created a major threat of BSE (mad cow disease).

The next time our factory food system screws us over to save a buck, you can bet the Walmarts are going to be at the centre of it all. Maybe if I shop at Whole Foods, I won't have as much to worry about.

jasonr said:
As I said, I'm not in a position to shop there, since they aren't accessible to people without cars, at least not where I live. Talk about irony, ayyy? You need a car to shop at the "working class" grocery store. Only us rich fat cats have the luxury of shopping for groceries using our feet, while the "sweaty" masses have to drive in their cars.

But, uh, with all of that money you got, surely you can afford a TAXI ride? It doesn’t cost near as much as a limousine, but a stretch is also an option. When you “got money”, you need not own a car, you can pay someone to drive you right? Disposable income on a taxi for the “haves” is the same as gas money for the car owners of the “have nots”. So, why not? Throw the money at the cab driver or limo guy and go where you want since money is not the deciding factor. Then you can say you have been there and aren't just griping about unreachable places.

I mean, a true “rich cat” doesn’t have to use their feet…..they have drivers.

I’m beginning to get confused.

jasonr said:
no organic-only tree hugging hippy, but I'm not too young to remember that not twenty years ago, they used to feed cattle the rendered remains of other cattle, and created a major threat of BSE (mad cow disease).

And another thing, most cases of “mad cow disease” are outside the US where they DON’T have restrictions on feed that include ground up animal parts. Like Canada for instance. The last report MCD I saw was actually from Canada. In the US, that type of feed is prohibited, and US incidences are primarily from imported breeders! And guess where Wal-Mart gets most of it’s beef? The US baby. Much safer when all things are considered.

I find it interesting how the human brain works and how it can think about one subject or another and go off on a tangent. Looks like that's what's happened here.

We should get back on track and put our focus onto the subject originally posted. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

jasonr said:

But back to the point: I have no idea what their produce is like. Maybe it tastes ok after all. I just don't trust them is all. I dislike Walmart, not merely because I dislike the idea of big car-only box stores on ugly concrete islands taking over, but also because I seriously wonder where and how they get their food. I'm no organic-only tree hugging hippy, but I'm not too young to remember that not twenty years ago, they used to feed cattle the rendered remains of other cattle, and created a major threat of BSE (mad cow disease).

The next time our factory food system screws us over to save a buck, you can bet the Walmarts are going to be at the centre of it all. Maybe if I shop at Whole Foods, I won't have as much to worry about.

Again you show your ignorance WM carries the same brands of fresh vegetables as any grocery store Im sorry you dont have a car but I need a vehicle to get to where I need to go we live in a big country and alot of us could not do do anything without transportation and we dont want to live in a city either and no we are not a bunch of hicks/rednecks.Yes Canada is big country so what thats your problem.I resent you calling alot of Americans the sweaty masses what the F do you know.Id like to see how well you do in a city in a major crisis and everything shuts down OOPS you dont have a vehicle to save your self you probably couldnt make it longer than 2 days in the wild.Oh and yes I love whole foods a 3 hour drive so climb off your high horse,OOPs again you probably never have seen a horse or appreciate a real life. So sue me.:wacko: :wacko:

Katie E said:
I find it interesting how the human brain works and how it can think about one subject or another and go off on a tangent. Looks like that's what's happened here.

We should get back on track and put our focus onto the subject originally posted. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

The odd thing is that the human brain works the same every time….basically like an Intel x86 processor (PC, computer, etc). The ODD thing is, the software (personalities) we run on said processors.

An engine is an engine is an engine. The fuel we give it, and what we ask of it, is the deciding factor.

jasonr said:
Shame on you for saying what you say.:wacko:

Last edited:
Let's all take a deep breath here. First I'm with Katie, we need to get back on topic here. The subject was about being able to get kosher salt..I know many of us shop WM and many here just cannot abide it..There is much to consider..Your distance from good foods,your way of getting to and from the store, your health..Each of us here has an opinion and they are intitled to it, but being snappy and snarkey because some likes to or doesn't like to shop WM is their right..We need to remember we don't know everyones reason for how or where they shop.We accept their choice and are kind. If we stronglu disagree, then we take it to private message. There is NO reason to insult and hurt our unseen friends here. So please..Lets return to topic and RESPECT our fellows opinion, and they need to respect yours.
Remeber we tell all newcomers what a great forum we have here, lets keep it that way. Friendly and helpful.
kadesma

:) So sorry but it just hit a nerve will try to contain myself better but I like to stand up for myself and others.

I also have to say I love the mods here. Not only for their infinite insight into cooking, but also for not summarily jack-slapping people and threads into purgatory for emotional outbursts. Great place here!

Great job guys!

Back
Top Bottom