"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-02-2007, 11:07 PM   #51
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr
no organic-only tree hugging hippy, but I'm not too young to remember that not twenty years ago, they used to feed cattle the rendered remains of other cattle, and created a major threat of BSE (mad cow disease).
And another thing, most cases of “mad cow disease” are outside the US where they DON’T have restrictions on feed that include ground up animal parts. Like Canada for instance. The last report MCD I saw was actually from Canada. In the US, that type of feed is prohibited, and US incidences are primarily from imported breeders! And guess where Wal-Mart gets most of it’s beef? The US baby. Much safer when all things are considered.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:16 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I find it interesting how the human brain works and how it can think about one subject or another and go off on a tangent. Looks like that's what's happened here.

We should get back on track and put our focus onto the subject originally posted. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:26 PM   #53
Executive Chef

[quote=jasonr]As I said, I'm not in a position to shop there, since they aren't accessible to people without cars, at least not where I live. Talk about irony, ayyy? You need a car to shop at the "working class" grocery store. Only us rich fat cats have the luxury of shopping for groceries using our feet, while the "sweaty" masses have to drive in their cars.

But back to the point: I have no idea what their produce is like. Maybe it tastes ok after all. I just don't trust them is all. I dislike Walmart, not merely because I dislike the idea of big car-only box stores on ugly concrete islands taking over, but also because I seriously wonder where and how they get their food. I'm no organic-only tree hugging hippy, but I'm not too young to remember that not twenty years ago, they used to feed cattle the rendered remains of other cattle, and created a major threat of BSE (mad cow disease).

The next time our factory food system screws us over to save a buck, you can bet the Walmarts are going to be at the centre of it all. Maybe if I shop at Whole Foods, I won't have as much to worry about.

Again you show your ignorance WM carries the same brands of fresh vegetables as any grocery store Im sorry you dont have a car but I need a vehicle to get to where I need to go we live in a big country and alot of us could not do do anything without transportation and we dont want to live in a city either and no we are not a bunch of hicks/rednecks.Yes Canada is big country so what thats your problem.I resent you calling alot of Americans the sweaty masses what the F do you know.Id like to see how well you do in a city in a major crisis and everything shuts down OOPS you dont have a vehicle to save your self you probably couldnt make it longer than 2 days in the wild.Oh and yes I love whole foods a 3 hour drive so climb off your high horse,OOPs again you probably never have seen a horse or appreciate a real life. So sue me.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:29 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Seems as though jason has hit a nerve and my intervention didn't calm folks. Unless this thread is kept "on topic," we will be forced to close it.

Again, thanks all for your comments.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:32 PM   #55
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
I find it interesting how the human brain works and how it can think about one subject or another and go off on a tangent. Looks like that's what's happened here.

We should get back on track and put our focus onto the subject originally posted. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
The odd thing is that the human brain works the same every time….basically like an Intel x86 processor (PC, computer, etc). The ODD thing is, the software (personalities) we run on said processors.

An engine is an engine is an engine. The fuel we give it, and what we ask of it, is the deciding factor.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:35 PM   #56
Executive Chef

[quote=jasonr]As I said, I'm not in a position to shop there, since they aren't accessible to people without cars, at least not where I live. Talk about irony, ayyy? You need a car to shop at the "working class" grocery store. Only us rich fat cats have the luxury of shopping for groceries using our feet, while the "sweaty" masses have to drive in their cars.
Shame on you for saying what you say.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:36 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Let's all take a deep breath here. First I'm with Katie, we need to get back on topic here. The subject was about being able to get kosher salt..I know many of us shop WM and many here just cannot abide it..There is much to consider..Your distance from good foods,your way of getting to and from the store, your health..Each of us here has an opinion and they are intitled to it, but being snappy and snarkey because some likes to or doesn't like to shop WM is their right..We need to remember we don't know everyones reason for how or where they shop.We accept their choice and are kind. If we stronglu disagree, then we take it to private message. There is NO reason to insult and hurt our unseen friends here. So please..Lets return to topic and RESPECT our fellows opinion, and they need to respect yours.
Remeber we tell all newcomers what a great forum we have here, lets keep it that way. Friendly and helpful.
kadesma
Old 08-02-2007, 11:44 PM   #58
Executive Chef

So sorry but it just hit a nerve will try to contain myself better but I like to stand up for myself and others.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:46 PM   #59
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
So sorry but it just hit a nerve will try to contain myself better but I like to stand up for myself and others.
And I love you for it jpmcgrew! Never change!
Old 08-03-2007, 12:02 AM   #60
Head Chef

I also have to say I love the mods here. Not only for their infinite insight into cooking, but also for not summarily jack-slapping people and threads into purgatory for emotional outbursts. Great place here!

Great job guys!