Are we going to still be able to get Kosher Salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
02-08-07.... I was in Wal Mart yesterday and the shelf was full of Kosher
salt...........They had better carry it I am Jewish and would be put out if the dis it

Dave Hutchins said:
02-08-07.... I was in Wal Mart yesterday and the shelf was full of Kosher
salt...........They had better carry it I am Jewish and would be put out if the dis it

What do you mean by that?

I was just thinking about this thread on Saturday. I was in one or our area Wal-Mart stores and needed to buy some kosher salt. They had three brands of this salt, so whatever the "buzz" is about it being pulled from WM shelves, doesn't seem to be true here.

Yeah, I can't see the nation's largest retailer pulling a product that's 1) so popular in cooking and 2) critical for a large group of their customers.

You know, this thread (like many here at DC) taught me something. I had always just assumed (you know what they say about that!) that Kosher Salt meant it was prepared according to Jewish guidelines and didn’t violate any of their food laws. However, that’s not the case. Technically, nearly all salts are “kosher” according to the Torah, even regular table salt.

“Kosher Salt” is actually used in the process of making meats kosher! It’s larger grain size makes for a very effective crust on meat that will not dissolve quickly and instead stays on the surface of the meat longer. This salt crust then pulls all of the juice (blood) from the meat making it kosher. Interesting stuff!

jasonr said:
As I said, I'm not in a position to shop there, since they aren't accessible to people without cars, at least not where I live. Talk about irony, ayyy? You need a car to shop at the "working class" grocery store. Only us rich fat cats have the luxury of shopping for groceries using our feet, while the "sweaty" masses have to drive in their cars.

But back to the point: I have no idea what their produce is like. Maybe it tastes ok after all. I just don't trust them is all. I dislike Walmart, not merely because I dislike the idea of big car-only box stores on ugly concrete islands taking over, but also because I seriously wonder where and how they get their food. I'm no organic-only tree hugging hippy, but I'm not too young to remember that not twenty years ago, they used to feed cattle the rendered remains of other cattle, and created a major threat of BSE (mad cow disease).

The next time our factory food system screws us over to save a buck, you can bet the Walmarts are going to be at the centre of it all. Maybe if I shop at Whole Foods, I won't have as much to worry about.
[/color][/i][/b]

I love to shop at Whole Foods. I have to drive well over an hour to get there from here and right now with just one income we just cannot afford it. I can go to the local farmers' markets and get better looking produce - for a whole lot less. I could, if necessary, take a bus to WalMart - they do want to build one in our neighborhood but there's a lot of screaming going on.

But keep in mind, please, Whole Foods is not above reproach, they've had their problems too.

Whole Foods Market is Voluntarily Recalling 6,000 Jars of 365 Everyday Value Kalamata Olive Tapenade

Whole Foods Market
512-542-0656

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Austin, TX -- January 31, 2007 -- Effective immediately, Whole Foods Market is voluntarily recalling 6,000 jars of a 32,000-jar lot of its 365 Everyday Value Kalamata Olive Tapenade because the product may contain glass fragments, which may cause injury if ingested. This is a correction to a press release issued January 9, 2006. The product may have been shipped to two additional states – Nevada and Colorado – which was not declared in the prior release.

Whole Foods Market® Recalls Whole Catch™ Lemon Pepper Garlic Hot Smoked Trout Due to Possible Health Risk
Amy Hopfensperger Schaefer
512-542-0380

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Austin, Texas) Whole Foods Market is recalling Whole Catch Lemon Pepper Garlic Hot Smoked Trout because it has the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.

The recall was first announced January 9 but two additional states not previously included in the recall -- Nevada and Colorado -- may have also received shipments of the product.

The product, distributed by Whole Foods Market, may have reached consumers via stores in the following states: California, Colorado, Florida, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Virginia and the District of Columbia.

WASHINGTON, November 3, 2004 - Whole Foods Mid-Atlantic Kitchen, a Landover, Md. firm, is voluntarily recalling approximately 1,275 pounds of chicken products that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service announced today.

The products subject to recall are:
12 oz."WHOLE FOODS CHICKEN POT PIE." Each package contains a best if used by date of "11/02/04."
10 lb. bags of "WHOLE FOODS Classic Chicken Salad." Each bag has a use by date of "11/01/04."
15 oz. containers of "WHOLE FOODS CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP, SMALL." Each container has a sell by date of "11/04/04."
30 oz. containers of "WHOLE FOODS CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP, LARGE." Each container has a sell by date of "11/04/04."

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Austin, TX - May 27, 2004 -- Whole Foods Market of Austin, Texas is conducting a voluntary recall on its distribution of raw whole or diced almonds packaged under the name Whole Food Market because this product has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella Enteritidis. The recalled almonds were packed in clear, rectangular plastic containers, sold by weight, labeled "almonds whole natural" and "diced raw almonds" under the Whole Foods Market brand. They were also available in self-service gravity-feed bulk bins.

keltin said:
You know, this thread (like many here at DC) taught me something. I had always just assumed (you know what they say about that!) that Kosher Salt meant it was prepared according to Jewish guidelines and didn’t violate any of their food laws. However, that’s not the case. Technically, nearly all salts are “kosher” according to the Torah, even regular table salt.

“Kosher Salt” is actually used in the process of making meats kosher! It’s larger grain size makes for a very effective crust on meat that will not dissolve quickly and instead stays on the surface of the meat longer. This salt crust then pulls all of the juice (blood) from the meat making it kosher. Interesting stuff!
That is correct. A more accurate name for it would really be koshering salt as it is what is used in the koshering process for meat.

GB said:
That is correct. A more accurate name for it would really be koshering salt as it is what is used in the koshering process for meat.

I like that! Great idea! Let's petition the powers that be and get this changed! :)

indeed the name "kosher salt" is very spesific to USA. The other countries also sell that kind of salt but nobody calls it that. In Russia for example it was called cooking salt as an opposite to the table salt.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom