Are you a texture person?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I fooled the doctor yesterday, she even looked in my mouth and did not notice I had dentures. Surprised her when I told I think they are the culprit for my sudden problems with choking.

I fooled the doctor yesterday, she even looked in my mouth and did not notice I had dentures. Surprised her when I told I think they are the culprit for my sudden problems with choking.

My soft palate comes to the front part of the roof of my mouth. My hard palate is small. My dentist felt that to keep the teeth in I needed to get used to them and I would stop gagging and heaving. So I took matters in my own hands. I took an emery board and filed my plate back to where I would no longer gag. It just meets the very edge of my hard palate. It worked. I do have to use a powder to hold them in, but now I forget I have them in and have even gone to bed with them in. :)

I have a friend who doesn't eat water chestnuts or crunchy celery. She can't stand the texture, but she does eat cooked celery.

I like my vegis to have some texture - please don't cook them to mush. It's not that big a deal, but still...

I can't abide the texture of overcooked liver. It's like there's powder in it. Well, it doesn't really matter, the flavour is yucky when it's overcooked, but the texture part is awful. Same with peas. Both the texture and flavour are yuck when overcooked and I won't eat them.

Soft white bread - ew, as well as the texture of white saltines when you chew them and they turn to a sticky paste.

And slimy globs in that soft drink with the floating things, can't stand that either, so I'm thinking I would have an issue with bubble tea.

My sense of smell has gone off again in the past few weeks. Not as badly as it has before. But I've been wanting to throw food out, but asking hubby if it was bad. Nope. The most recent is that I bought some donut "holes". I was looking forward to them, and when I tasted one, enough. Almost threw them away, but hubby said they were just fine.

I think the worst moment was when I was making negi maki. I'd spent hours pounding the beef to get it thin and tender, julienning (good lord, is that a word?) the vegetables, and had heated some oil in a skillet and was going to cook them. I'd placed the first pan full and was just starting when hubby entered the kitchen. "Holy moly" (not his words!!), what in the heck (again, not his word) is that stink!

In fact, the oil I used had gone rancid. I mean seriously rancid. I thought it stunk, but, in fact, it was the year of Claire thinking everything stank. We actually managed to rescue the negi maki that I'd put in the oil, wiped them with paper towels, dumped the rancid oil, bought new, and started again. They were very yummy and everyone loved them. But my husband realized how off my smeller had become.

Texture is important to me, but very few foods have a texture that I can't tolerate. Slimy things like raw oysters come to mind, I like them pan fried just fine though. Rubbery foods have no appeal to me, like over cooked seafood.
And.....yes I do like liver, with lots of onions and BACON! Mentioning onions just made me think that some people might not like the texture of cooked onion, it can be kind of slimy at times. That kind of sliminess doesn't bother me, I wonder if taste trumps texture? Maybe...for some of us!

I also dislike slimy, especially undercooked egg white. Yolk must be well cooked as well. Vegetables should be crunchy not soft. I don't have a problem with mashed potatoes but my son does and he won't eat them at all. I tend to make crushed potatoes mostly and put in some chopped spring onions towards the end to give them a bit of texture.

I tend to cook liver to death :ohmy: so that it has a rubbery rather than a mushy texture. (ok, so I'm the only one who eats it and I like it that way:wacko:)

L

Shrek and I love liver...but only cooked by me. Imagine his surprise 31 years ago when he found someone who cooked it right for him. Hey, maybe that's why he married me...

Texture and flavor are the only miportant qulifiers in something like chocolate. And textures can be subtle. For instance, okra is something I can't handle. It reminds me of mucous. But the gelatin around a cold chunk of meat doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I like to find it. Mashed potatoes can suck your mouth dry, if the texture is wrong, as can breads, cakes, etc. But too much oil in the product can ruin them as well.

Texture is very important to me. Is my steak too tough, or mushy (too tender)? Both ruin a good tasting piece of meat.

But, I believe that texture plays more of a role as a learned trait. We expect foods to have a certain texture. Small kids eat snot with abandon (I know, gross), and yet it can one them ill when it's seen through the eyes of an older child or adult. But then again, some people love oysters on the half shell. It's accepted in that case.

I think we train ourselves to expect certain textures in our food. When I was seven years old, I probably wouldn't have appreciated the silky, smooth texture of good chocolate. It just had to be sweet, and chocoaltey in flavor.

That's my take on it anyway.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Texture is really important to me. I don't eat liver, tongue or raw oysters because of the texture. Here in Leon, there's a lot of chicarron which is pig skin. They boil small squares of it in a soup or other dishes, and I won't touch it because my stomach doesn't allow me to do that, it'll return the stuff every time.

People's physical stomachs might also have a preference for certain textures. Except for the most toxic of compounds, the lining of the stomach is quite tolerant of 'tastes.' But its pressure sensors are necessarily well tuned for survival and discerning good/bad state for sustenance. I hypothesize therefore that, for example, slimy foods are an issue of 'stomach feel' as much as 'mouth feel.' It might hold true of an infant's, or a stomach made more sensitive with age. (I'm willing to be ridiculous.)

@ Bucky: Definitely, visual,taste, texture, after taste

Definitely quintessential ...

Afterall, mushy French Fried Potatoes, hard bread, meat as hard as nails etcetra ... are truly unpleasant ... Afterall, I believe we all enjoy our fried potatoes crisp on the exterior and golden brown with a tender, not mushy interior ...

After taste is important too --- not only in wine ... How the dish combines with other ingredients, can be quite relevant when digesting --- if it does not go down nice, an after taste of un-desirable shall be a visitor.

Margi.

Textures are more important to me than taste. I love the flavor of ham but there are many times that I cannot tolerate the texture of ham. Uncooked egg whites will put me off an egg dish. I also have a huge amount of weird rules about food combinations that are really about texture, not flavor.

I forgot one that at first was a HUGE turn off, but I actually really like now, the pearls in Bubble Tea. I have found I can handle the larger ones far better than the smaller. Had a tarot rot bubble tea with lunch today, and this thread popped in my head.

I forgot one that at first was a HUGE turn off, but I actually really like now, the pearls in Bubble Tea. I have found I can handle the larger ones far better than the smaller. Had a tarot rot bubble tea with lunch today, and this thread popped in my head.

Rotted Tarro Root made into bubble tea; hmmmm, think I'll pass on that one.:ROFLMAO: Gotta watch those typos with this crowd. I make them and get nailed all the time.:rolleyes:

Just curious; as a child, did you run around in the woods with other boys, playing army and using a stick as a tommy gun, going rat-a-tat-a-a-tat-a-rat, and remembering those childhood days, come up with Tattrat? Probably not. But how people come up with their avatar names is interesting. I'll have to start a thread with that question.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom