"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #41
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I fooled the doctor yesterday, she even looked in my mouth and did not notice I had dentures. Surprised her when I told I think they are the culprit for my sudden problems with choking.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:24 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I fooled the doctor yesterday, she even looked in my mouth and did not notice I had dentures. Surprised her when I told I think they are the culprit for my sudden problems with choking.
My soft palate comes to the front part of the roof of my mouth. My hard palate is small. My dentist felt that to keep the teeth in I needed to get used to them and I would stop gagging and heaving. So I took matters in my own hands. I took an emery board and filed my plate back to where I would no longer gag. It just meets the very edge of my hard palate. It worked. I do have to use a powder to hold them in, but now I forget I have them in and have even gone to bed with them in.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #43
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yeah, we had to get Shrek's modified so he wouldn't gag...mine look like home plate...
Old 02-23-2012, 12:37 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have a friend who doesn't eat water chestnuts or crunchy celery. She can't stand the texture, but she does eat cooked celery.

I like my vegis to have some texture - please don't cook them to mush. It's not that big a deal, but still...

I can't abide the texture of overcooked liver. It's like there's powder in it. Well, it doesn't really matter, the flavour is yucky when it's overcooked, but the texture part is awful. Same with peas. Both the texture and flavour are yuck when overcooked and I won't eat them.

Soft white bread - ew, as well as the texture of white saltines when you chew them and they turn to a sticky paste.

And slimy globs in that soft drink with the floating things, can't stand that either, so I'm thinking I would have an issue with bubble tea.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #45
Master Chef

My sense of smell has gone off again in the past few weeks. Not as badly as it has before. But I've been wanting to throw food out, but asking hubby if it was bad. Nope. The most recent is that I bought some donut "holes". I was looking forward to them, and when I tasted one, enough. Almost threw them away, but hubby said they were just fine.

I think the worst moment was when I was making negi maki. I'd spent hours pounding the beef to get it thin and tender, julienning (good lord, is that a word?) the vegetables, and had heated some oil in a skillet and was going to cook them. I'd placed the first pan full and was just starting when hubby entered the kitchen. "Holy moly" (not his words!!), what in the heck (again, not his word) is that stink!

In fact, the oil I used had gone rancid. I mean seriously rancid. I thought it stunk, but, in fact, it was the year of Claire thinking everything stank. We actually managed to rescue the negi maki that I'd put in the oil, wiped them with paper towels, dumped the rancid oil, bought new, and started again. They were very yummy and everyone loved them. But my husband realized how off my smeller had become.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:22 AM   #46
Executive Chef

Texture is important to me, but very few foods have a texture that I can't tolerate. Slimy things like raw oysters come to mind, I like them pan fried just fine though. Rubbery foods have no appeal to me, like over cooked seafood.
And.....yes I do like liver, with lots of onions and BACON! Mentioning onions just made me think that some people might not like the texture of cooked onion, it can be kind of slimy at times. That kind of sliminess doesn't bother me, I wonder if taste trumps texture? Maybe...for some of us!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:18 AM   #47
Assistant Cook

I also dislike slimy, especially undercooked egg white. Yolk must be well cooked as well. Vegetables should be crunchy not soft. I don't have a problem with mashed potatoes but my son does and he won't eat them at all. I tend to make crushed potatoes mostly and put in some chopped spring onions towards the end to give them a bit of texture.

I tend to cook liver to death so that it has a rubbery rather than a mushy texture. (ok, so I'm the only one who eats it and I like it that way)

L
Old 02-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #48
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Shrek and I love liver...but only cooked by me. Imagine his surprise 31 years ago when he found someone who cooked it right for him. Hey, maybe that's why he married me...
Old 02-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #49
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Shrek and I love liver...but only cooked by me. Imagine his surprise 31 years ago when he found someone who cooked it right for him. Hey, maybe that's why he married me...

...he fell in love with your liver???
Old 02-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #50
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...he fell in love with your liver???
I know...weird, huh? He's totally nuts!