"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #51
Master Chef

Texture and flavor are the only miportant qulifiers in something like chocolate. And textures can be subtle. For instance, okra is something I can't handle. It reminds me of mucous. But the gelatin around a cold chunk of meat doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I like to find it. Mashed potatoes can suck your mouth dry, if the texture is wrong, as can breads, cakes, etc. But too much oil in the product can ruin them as well.

Texture is very important to me. Is my steak too tough, or mushy (too tender)? Both ruin a good tasting piece of meat.

But, I believe that texture plays more of a role as a learned trait. We expect foods to have a certain texture. Small kids eat snot with abandon (I know, gross), and yet it can one them ill when it's seen through the eyes of an older child or adult. But then again, some people love oysters on the half shell. It's accepted in that case.

I think we train ourselves to expect certain textures in our food. When I was seven years old, I probably wouldn't have appreciated the silky, smooth texture of good chocolate. It just had to be sweet, and chocoaltey in flavor.

That's my take on it anyway.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #52
Senior Cook

Texture is really important to me. I don't eat liver, tongue or raw oysters because of the texture. Here in Leon, there's a lot of chicarron which is pig skin. They boil small squares of it in a soup or other dishes, and I won't touch it because my stomach doesn't allow me to do that, it'll return the stuff every time.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #53
Head Chef

People's physical stomachs might also have a preference for certain textures. Except for the most toxic of compounds, the lining of the stomach is quite tolerant of 'tastes.' But its pressure sensors are necessarily well tuned for survival and discerning good/bad state for sustenance. I hypothesize therefore that, for example, slimy foods are an issue of 'stomach feel' as much as 'mouth feel.' It might hold true of an infant's, or a stomach made more sensitive with age. (I'm willing to be ridiculous.)
Old 02-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #54
Executive Chef

@ Bucky: Definitely, visual,taste, texture, after taste

Definitely quintessential ...

Afterall, mushy French Fried Potatoes, hard bread, meat as hard as nails etcetra ... are truly unpleasant ... Afterall, I believe we all enjoy our fried potatoes crisp on the exterior and golden brown with a tender, not mushy interior ...

After taste is important too --- not only in wine ... How the dish combines with other ingredients, can be quite relevant when digesting --- if it does not go down nice, an after taste of un-desirable shall be a visitor.

Margi.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I know...weird, huh? He's totally nuts!
You walked right into that one!
Old 02-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #56
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You walked right into that one!
He told me today that he loves me for my bright and shining personality and back scratching ability.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #57
Cupcake

Textures are more important to me than taste. I love the flavor of ham but there are many times that I cannot tolerate the texture of ham. Uncooked egg whites will put me off an egg dish. I also have a huge amount of weird rules about food combinations that are really about texture, not flavor.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
He told me today that he loves me for my bright and shining personality and back scratching ability.
What does he know. He is an Orge!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:05 AM   #59
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I forgot one that at first was a HUGE turn off, but I actually really like now, the pearls in Bubble Tea. I have found I can handle the larger ones far better than the smaller. Had a tarot rot bubble tea with lunch today, and this thread popped in my head.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #60
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
I forgot one that at first was a HUGE turn off, but I actually really like now, the pearls in Bubble Tea. I have found I can handle the larger ones far better than the smaller. Had a tarot rot bubble tea with lunch today, and this thread popped in my head.
Rotted Tarro Root made into bubble tea; hmmmm, think I'll pass on that one. Gotta watch those typos with this crowd. I make them and get nailed all the time.

Just curious; as a child, did you run around in the woods with other boys, playing army and using a stick as a tommy gun, going rat-a-tat-a-a-tat-a-rat, and remembering those childhood days, come up with Tattrat? Probably not. But how people come up with their avatar names is interesting. I'll have to start a thread with that question.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote