"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-11-2007, 10:37 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

2BELUCILE: Yes, please ask around! My husband is from Colombia (born in Ibague), too, and that's how this whole ordeal began. Unfortunatlely, his family only knows of the thinner, crispier type made with white corn, served meat dishes, etc. While living in Ft. Lauderdale, we used to visit Miami and that's where we ran across The Arepa Queen. We tried contacting them a few years ago to see if they would sell them to us, but with no luck. By the time we left Florida, they had arepa stands all over Soth Florida, including the Miami Dolphins Football Stadium. Since that time, I've been trying, off and on, to duplicate their recipe. We would love to serve arepas in our ice cream shop during the winter months here in Buffalo, New York - that's where we live now. . By the way, thank you everyone for your helpful hints! If anyone would like to see what they look like, I have a link with the recipe and a photo, only I'm not allowed to post it because I've not used this website enough. If anyone would like it, you can e-mail me at lwaltero@verizon.net.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:53 PM   #12
Head Chef

Now we are getting somewhere! Shoot me back that link for a look at these elusive arepas. You will become the Arepas king and queen of New York. Maybe I can franchise from you here in sunny Marion Ohio. D You are welcome to look at Books by Volunteers who serve Ukraine Orphans until we can get your links! :) D

Old 09-11-2007, 11:04 PM   #13
Cook

I’ve never had one of these. What is the appeal? It is corn and cheese and (in a sandwich) bread. Is it spread w/ something spicy or crunchy? All the flavors seem OK, but I feel I’m missing something.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:19 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

They taste like cornbread with pieces of fresh corn cooked inside. They are the size of a pancake, but thicker. They are cooked separately on a grill. Then a piece of mozzarella or mild swiss cheese is placed in between two of them, like a sandwich, then grilled a little more until the cheese melts. They're quite rich, pleasantly sweet, a little greasy (because they're fried in butter), very fattening and delicious! In the cold weather, they would taste great with a nice cup of hot chocolate. . . cholesterol overload!
Old 09-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #15
Head Chef

If?? you ever nail this send me a copy it sounds yummy
Old 09-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #16
Cook

Please give me one arepa and a bypass operation, please!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:28 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Arepas de CHOCLO or ELOTE

Lwaltero and DCrsSorry it took to long, all the people I asked told me: take the fresh corn, very tender ( or you can use the canned corn kernels, drained) and put in the blender. Just add a pinch of salt (you can add a little of melted butter). Blend. It will be the consistency of batter like for pancake . If the corn is too dry, add a little of milk.
(Do not add flour, or egg or anything else)
To make the arepas, use a non-stick pan, heated and buttered, and pour a little of the batter, use low heat so they don’t burn. Turn carefully with a spatula to cook the other side. ----------------
In one place that make arepas like this for breakfast, they have a big heated surface, on top they place “egg rings” and in the center they pour some batter. When arepas are cooked on the bottom, they turn them carefully. They serve them with a big slice of farmers cheese, but ANY cheese will be good, I imagine.
Hope this will help. GOOD LUCK!!!! And tell us about your next try.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #18
Executive Chef

I've never had them, but they sure sound good to me!! Thanks for the recipes!
Old 09-14-2007, 09:50 AM   #19
Senior Cook

I just learn that the "arepas de choclo" have other name in Venezuela: " CACHAPAS". If you google cachapas+recipe you will find a lot of recipes in ENGLISH.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:35 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Thank you so much, 2belucile. I'll let you know how they turn out. By the way, I bet you have a great recipe for tamales - Colombian style. I'd sure love to learn how to make them, too! And also Sancocho. If I could make tamales & sancocho, my husband would be a very happy man. . .
Thanks again!