"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

I no longer enjoy going out to eat. I am a slow eater and tend to hold everyone up when they finish. And at home, I sorta cook myself. If I make something special by request, it is for one of my kids to take home.

Mother's Day is coming up. I will put a smile on my face and go out to eat with my daughter and her family. But I will order something that I know won't have a lot of food on the plate. Of course I will come home with a doggie bag. I always do. I would rather go out for breakfast at the local diner. Bacon, eggs, hash brown or home fries, coffe and whole wheat toast. And I am lucky if I can finish that.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I no longer enjoy going out to eat. I am a slow eater and tend to hold everyone up when they finish. And at home, I sorta cook myself. If I make something special by request, it is for one of my kids to take home.

Mother's Day is coming up. I will put a smile on my face and go out to eat with my daughter and her family. But I will order something that I know won't have a lot of food on the plate. Of course I will come home with a doggie bag. I always do. I would rather go out for breakfast at the local diner. Bacon, eggs, hash brown or home fries, coffe and whole wheat toast. And I am lucky if I can finish that.
Addie,

I think you should let them know how you feel!

On Mother's day you should be queen for a day, if breakfast is what you want then you should have breakfast!

They might even breathe a sigh of relief!

I have never enjoyed eating out on a holiday. No matter how good the restaurant the prices go up and the quality goes down. I always feel rushed and when I get home, no leftovers to pick at!

Old 04-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Addie,

I think you should let them know how you feel!

On Mother's day you should be queen for a day, if breakfast is what you want then you should have breakfast!

They might even breathe a sigh of relief!

I have never enjoyed eating out on a holiday. No matter how good the restaurant the prices go up and the quality goes down. I always feel rushed and when I get home, no leftovers to pick at!
I agree, Aunt Bea! Mother's day should be what you would like, not what the kids want to do. Let the kids know that you would rather not got to a restaurant. They can't know if you don't tell them.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Oh yes, our "Whole Foods" clone has a fantastic deli, soup, salad, olive and hot dish bar. $8.99 a pound which is easy to overspend. We get in trouble there a lot.
Oh yeah. I practically choked when I paid for my $18.99 salad at a WF in MPLS. Thankfully, DH and I were splitting it, it's hard to stop adding just a bit more here and there....
Old 04-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh yeah. I practically choked when I paid for my $18.99 salad at a WF in MPLS. Thankfully, DH and I were splitting it, it's hard to stop adding just a bit more here and there....
And olives, and cheese, and...oh look they have tuna salad, chicken, ham and....
Old 04-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

And olives, and cheese, and...oh look they have tuna salad, chicken, ham and....
Glad I didn't get the soup too. Would have had to take out a loan...
Old 04-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I agree, Aunt Bea! Mother's day should be what you would like, not what the kids want to do. Let the kids know that you would rather not got to a restaurant. They can't know if you don't tell them.
If it is her chemo week, we won't be going anywhere. She is headed for Florida tomorrow. Her husband is taking her on a short vacation. I know what my Mother's Day present will be. There is a shop that sells all cotton dresses with pockets. She brought me one last year and I fell in love with it. So she is going to get me two more. I will be happy with just those. No meal necessary.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #38
Senior Cook

I hate to buy food from somewhere where it's adequate but I know I can do a better job for less moolah. That being said we try to reserve going out as a treat to be savored maybe twice a month because my own food is healthier and cheaper. Also our money's limited so I try to use my skills to make restaurant quality fare at home. It means a lot to Mr Hubby that I do this for him. For him my cooking gourmet meals for a special occasion is like an extra gift for him and he showers me with appreciation.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

I want to add to my earlier post.

The OP makes it sound like you would lose interest in eating out because you became a better cook. There are other factors. I think my improved cooking skills enables me to appreciate dishes I didn't before.

I don't feel like my restaurant options have diminished because they can't cook dishes as well as I do. There isn't a great selection of interesting restaurants close to home. We have to drive into the city (Boston) to really have a good selection. So maybe I've just gotten lazy.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The restaurants we do frequent, it's because they are exceptional at a price we can afford. Twice a month an visit to each one. Of course...I do eat at both more often, because i order along with my co-workers from both places. Will never get tired of their food.

Tags
cooking