"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-22-2015, 08:20 PM   #91
Chef Extraordinaire

Actually, you can copyright ideas. I have an idea for a story I want to write. I send those notes to myself, make sure the envelope is date stamped at the post office to show the date I mailed the envelope. When it arrives, I put it in my safe deposit box, unopened.

If you want to share something that is protected by copyright law on the Internet, a link to the copyright holder's web site is the best way to do so. Just because it is on the Internet does not mean the copyright holder has given up his/her ownership. Be respectful.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:38 PM   #92
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Actually, you can copyright ideas. I have an idea for a story I want to write. I send those notes to myself, make sure the envelope is date stamped at the post office to show the date I mailed the envelope. When it arrives, I put it in my safe deposit box, unopened.
Sorry, you can't copyright or patent an idea. What you are doing might be useful if it ever goes to court.

Copyright Rules: Can You Copyright an Idea?

Old 05-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #93
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
No. You have only given them the right to use it. If you didn't, then your post wouldn't be allowed here.

If you post it on Allrecipes, then what you wrote applies.
You know that for a fact Taxi?

Sooooooo, if DC only has the right to use my original recipe and I repost it at Allrecipes, how can I be liable for posting my own recipe somewhere else?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #94
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Even when you post here at Discuss Cooking you grant them the rights to your posts. Just not as strongly and broadly written as most.

"By posting content on the Websites, you also grant, and warrant that you have the authority to grant, the Company a limited license to display, reproduce, modify, and use any text, image, video, music, or any other content that you post on the Websites."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You know that for a fact Taxi?

Sooooooo, if DC only has the right to use my original recipe and I repost it at Allrecipes, how can I be liable for posting my own recipe somewhere else?
That's what jennyemma's quote seems to say. But note, it does say "limited license".

OTH, the Allrecipes thing is onerous and I don't know how they enforce it.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:06 AM   #95
Head Chef

Artist Richard Lewis is selling other peoples' Instagram photos for $100,000 each in New York - Business Insider

Here is an interesting read. Not sure if it applies to recipes, but still interesting. Some artist used other peoples pictures ( from instagram) without their permission. Transferred them to canvas, displayed them in an art gallery in NYC, and is getting up to $100,000 for each one.

"The minor changes Prince adds to each original Instagram photo help each work to meet the requiements of fair use. (To take a different example, when an author quotes another author in their book, they don't have to ask for permission because the excerpts are essentially source material). Similarly, parody is generally protected from claims of copyright infringement under US law.

The scenario is a good example of the new legal issues that "remix culture" have created. The internet is awash with altered, reposted, and aggregated content taken from other sources, frequently without permission. It has produced a huge wave of creativity — but also raises thorny questions about attribution and ownership. Sometimes the transformative fair use is clear, while at other times the "remixing" seems little more than theft."

larry
Old 05-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #96
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Artist Richard Lewis is selling other peoples' Instagram photos for $100,000 each in New York - Business Insider

Here is an interesting read. Not sure if it applies to recipes, but still interesting. Some artist used other peoples pictures ( from instagram) without their permission. Transferred them to canvas, displayed them in an art gallery in NYC, and is getting up to $100,000 for each one.

"The minor changes Prince adds to each original Instagram photo help each work to meet the requiements of fair use. (To take a different example, when an author quotes another author in their book, they don't have to ask for permission because the excerpts are essentially source material). Similarly, parody is generally protected from claims of copyright infringement under US law.

The scenario is a good example of the new legal issues that "remix culture" have created. The internet is awash with altered, reposted, and aggregated content taken from other sources, frequently without permission. It has produced a huge wave of creativity — but also raises thorny questions about attribution and ownership. Sometimes the transformative fair use is clear, while at other times the "remixing" seems little more than theft."

larry
Copyright law applies to all creations, so this applies, too. The Internet has made copyright an issue for people who generally had no knowledge of it, or need to know about it, in pre-Internet days. Before the Internet, it was costly and time-consuming to redistribute someone else's work, but copy-and-paste is so easy, people think it must be okay.

For most of the time that I managed a large website, I was the gatekeeper for preventing people from posting copyrighted material, because I received, edited and posted everything. The director of security actually submitted copied-and-pasted pages from another school's security department website, just changing identifying details. Sorry, dude, can't do that.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #97
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Actually, you can copyright ideas.

Sorry but you absolutely cannot copyright an idea.

The federal copyright act is very clear about that.

Tags
recipe