"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-14-2015, 11:25 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

The definition of when a recipe is your own - a copyright - is a legal one. It's not about the ingredients at all. It's about the original expression - written or visual - of how to make it.

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html

Old 01-15-2015, 11:55 AM   #42
Assistant Cook

I realize Iím probably beating a dead horse at this point, but I donít understand the frustration over wiggle room being left in written directions. When preparing a dish, is the goal to ensure that the result matches some precise standard devised according to the tastes of others, or is the goal to make a tasty meal? The latter in no way requires the former.

Rather than view lack of precision in the instructions as a hindrance or an annoyance, why not view it as an opportunity to take charge a little bit?

I agree that if the stated purpose of an article or cooking show is to teach beginners, then specifics are appropriate. But even when they are excluded or glossed over, there can still be valuable takeaways for a beginner (tools, techniques, concepts, etc.).

Old 01-15-2015, 12:32 PM   #43
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdee1 View Post
I realize Iím probably beating a dead horse at this point, but I donít understand the frustration over wiggle room being left in written directions...
It's not a big deal for you or me. We're experienced. We would do fine with a recipe that just said "try some of these ingredients to make a pot roast."

My daughter, on the other hand, is not an accomplished cook and needs specificity to ensure the expected results. Being specific doesn't preclude making a tasty dish according to the recipe, it ensures it.

So you make the recipe and decide to make some changes next time - more salt, try thyme instead of rosemary, etc. You try these changes and feel it's still not right so you make more changes - too much thyme, cut back next time. How do you do that if you don't know how much you used last time? You need that starting point to adjust from.

If you don't like the specifics, you could certainly make adjustments as you go based on your experience. Specifics don't keep you making changes, they provide a foundation.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I've got several recipes that the family loves that I've never written down, except for a list of ingredients. The quantities are seat of the pants every time, yet the dishes always seem to taste the same, within our ability to detect.
Maybe you could try an experiment. Give one of those recipes to a few people who you know like them, have them make them, and see how they turn out.

The purpose of a recipe is to allow others to recreate the dish, not just for the creator to use with their individual skill level.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:38 PM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The definition of when a recipe is your own - a copyright - is a legal one. It's not about the ingredients at all. It's about the original expression - written or visual - of how to make it.

U.S. Copyright Office - Recipes

A copyright isn't a really definition of a recipe (or any other written work) being your own.

If you created it, its your own with or without a copyright.

A copyright allows you to protect it from being stolen by others.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:15 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Actually, it is. The copyright for an original work belongs to the creator whether they register it with the government or not. Registration makes it easier to defend a copyright, but it's not required to own the copyright.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I agree that if the stated purpose of an article or cooking show is to teach beginners, then specifics are appropriate. But even when they are excluded or glossed over, there can still be valuable takeaways for a beginner (tools, techniques, concepts, etc.).
Many beginners will blame themselves for a failure and say, "See! I can't cook!" and give up. If I'm trying to help them create a tasty dish, that's not the takeaway I want them to have.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:28 PM   #48
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Actually, it is. The copyright for an original work belongs to the creator whether they register it with the government or not. Registration makes it easier to defend a copyright, but it's not required to own the copyright.

Yes, I know.

My point is that copyright is a tool one uses to protect a work of original creation from being copied or otherwise misused without permission.

IMO it doesn't define when something you create is "your own." If you created it, it is.

I agree though that when you have created an original work in the US you do hold a copyright for it. Its the "definition" aspect I disagree with.

But its probably ---->
Old 01-15-2015, 04:32 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, I think we're saying pretty much the same thing. The way I remember it being put in a Media Law class is that as soon as someone creates something - artwork, writing,etc. - in a fixed form, they automatically hold the copyright to it. If they want to make it easier to protect that copyright, they can register it with the U.S. Copyright Office, but that's not necessary to establish ownership.

There are a few rules, such as those pertaining to works for hire, that change that but it's beyond the scope of this discussion.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:44 PM   #50
Master Chef

I think I made a distinction without a difference, GG! :-)

My copyright law was in 1981....

Tags
recipe