"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-04-2015, 09:54 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
This is Fall in New England. The leaves change color from green to all of the glorious colors of the rainbow. Thousands of thousands visitors come here in the Fall just to see the foliage. We call them Leaf Peepers.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...w=1280&bih=874

This is New England in the Fall.
I never get tired of these beautiful colors.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I never get tired of these beautiful colors.
You drive, take a turn on the road and right ahead is one of those pictures. It is like driving right into a bowl of God's fruit loops.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #13
Executive Chef

It may be fall there, but it sure ain't here! Still hot and humid in Southern California, which is quite unusual for any time of the year, but almost unheard of in October.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:07 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
It may be fall there, but it sure ain't here! Still hot and humid in Southern California, which is quite unusual for any time of the year, but almost unheard of in October.
I feel bad for the folks who don't have the fall that we have. And this horrible drought is only adding to the misery.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
This is Fall in New England. The leaves change color from green to all of the glorious colors of the rainbow. Thousands of thousands visitors come here in the Fall just to see the foliage. We call them Leaf Peepers.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...w=1280&bih=874

This is New England in the Fall.
We lack the variety of trees that you have in the east, but it can still be pretty nice this time of year. I took this one last week along the upper Colorado River a few miles west of the Continental Divide. With the cool breezy weather the last few days, our "color season" may be finished by now.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:45 PM   #16
Master Chef

Gorgeous pics, Rick and Addie. Out here the leaves haven't even started to turn yet, and what ones do aren't nearly the brilliant colors that many of you have in your areas. Some do get a very pretty gold, but it's still way too early.

Autumn is my favorite time of year. The triple digits are done, the sky changes to a deeper blue, and I return to more activity as far as taking long walks. Soups and stews make their way back into the meal rotation.

I'm not crazy about the time change, though. Evenings seem so long when it's dark by 5, so that's when I get projects going. I'm going to make some more no-sew blankets for family members, that helps keep me busy and away from the TV. lol
Old 10-05-2015, 02:42 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin86 View Post
Fall is here. Comfort food cozy homes.
2 trains of thought for me, squash, pumpkin, apples yum yum...So wether its a thanksgiving feast dish or a thrifty penny saving tip. What do you guys think?
Autumn is my favorite time of year. for many of the same reasons that Cheryl mentioned, even though she lives in CA and I live in New England. And as far as the autumn colors up here? Sure they're beautiful, but most every other part of the country with deciduous trees has beautiful color in its own way. New England just has a better press agent! BTW RPCooking, are those the fabled golden Aspen trees? Your picture makes it look like the trees were really touched by the sun.

What I really miss at this time of year are the changing colors of leaves in Ohio. With the rolling hills in Amish Country, you can see wave after wave of colorful hillsides off in the distance. With all the parks in the Emerald Necklace surrounding Greater Cleveland, and the Cuyahoga Valley National Park right down the middle of the area, you can find colorful trees in a wide variety of settings. As a bonus, fewer people on the roads trying to see them.

And now on to food. We love soups and stews, so cooler weather is a welcome change from cold salads and grilled entrees. We love those foods too, but hearty cool-weather fare is like a hug from the inside. As a bonus, you can usually make a big pot of something that will taste even better the second or third day down the road.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:08 AM   #18
Master Chef

In my area fall is about the color, smell and rustle of the leaves, fresh squeezed apple cider and warm cinnamon doughnuts or apple fritters!

These days a glass of cider and a doughnut is a once a year treat.

I was in my mid fifties before I realized you could buy one doughnut, I always thought you had to buy at least a dozen, who knew!

The one silly thing that I enjoy about fall and winter is being able to zip around town to do my grocery shopping in multiple stores without worrying about things melting or spoiling.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Autumn is my favorite time of year. for many of the same reasons that Cheryl mentioned, even though she lives in CA and I live in New England. And as far as the autumn colors up here? Sure they're beautiful, but most every other part of the country with deciduous trees has beautiful color in its own way. New England just has a better press agent! BTW RPCooking, are those the fabled golden Aspen trees? Your picture makes it look like the trees were really touched by the sun.
Actually these trees are not aspens, at least not most of them. These are a species requiring more water than than the aspens need, but I'm not really certain what kind of trees they are. The smaller bushes are willows, and the larger ones may be some variety of those too.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:01 PM   #20
Executive Chef

They are cottonwood trees.

Okay, I'm cheating...I took these two photos in October 2012 when I took Amtrak out to NM to see if I wanted to move here. One is from the train in northern NM and the other is at Ojo Caliente.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4951.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	23611   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4938.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	23612