"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-03-2015, 12:01 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Autumn is here

Fall is here. Comfort food cozy homes.
2 trains of thought for me, squash, pumpkin, apples yum yum

These can be bought fresh and are very versatile this time of year. I'm looking for advice, tips, ideas....

We can bake up a storm, freeze puree, etc. We can feast now but winter is coming and that is often when days get shorter not everyone has as much work in the winter and people ned to tighten there purse strings. Fall is a good time to squirrel away some things for the winter.

So wether its a thanksgiving feast dish or a thrifty penny saving tip. What do you guys think?

Old 10-03-2015, 01:04 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I'm a gatherer. Two and a half years ago I moved to a totally different environment. I don't know the trees, vegetation, insects or animals here. But that has not prevented me from gathering. Last year it was chokecherries I gathered. This year it is pinon nuts, peaches, plums and apples. It is in my blood to gather and put away for winter.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:14 AM   #3
Master Chef

Sadly, Fall doesn't mean the same beautiful time here as it does for much of North America. The best we can hope for is a dried palm frond falling from the sky that doesn't hit our parked car from the Santa Ana winds. Instead of beautiful multi colored leaves and delightful smells of fall in the air, it often means fire in the air.
The thing I most dislike about Fall, is the shorter days and it getting dark so early.
My mood is always dark in the Fall. On the other hand, I wouldn't trade where I live for anywhere I've had the pleasure of visiting.

I love your thoughts Kevin, and I agree Fall is a time for reflection, and thoughts of comfort food for the body and soul.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:32 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Apples right now are plentiful. The holidays are coming up way to fast and one of the residents in the building, freezes apple pies and give them as gifts for Christmas. On a limited income holiday foods make for a perfect gift.

I also like to freeze squash produce. Including pumpkin. Pumpkin bread makes for a great gift at any time on the year. I freeze the pumpkin is eight ounce flat packs. Carrot cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is always a favorite in this family.

I also have a large slow cooker that makes me the best beef stew. Plenty of fresh carrots, and other veggies go into it. My kids love it and the boys get a quart bag and my daughter gets a gallon of it from the freezer during the winter months. She has to share with a husband. Lamb stew with barley is another favorite in this family. I shop not only for fresh produce and veggies, but meats. Sometimes I get a hankering for a meat that is not on sale, (like lamb) yet not out of my price range, and will purchase enough of it to make it worthwhile for the making and into the freezer.

A lot of our members are in the process of canning right now. Jams and jellies made from the last of the fruits are good all year round.

Right now I have about ten pounds of fresh apples ready for pie making. My granddaughter wanted to relive her childhood and took her boyfriend up to NH and the orchard where we all went apple picking each year. She even climbed the apple tree to get the one way at the top.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:50 AM   #5
Executive Chef

We look forward to a bevy of fresh produce, including strawberries. Then in 11 more days the first of the season, stone crab claws will be available. I'll drive across Alligator Alley many times this month for my service route and watch the cypress and slash pine trees be exactly the same as they are every day of the year. I can go out to the Big Cypress National preserve, in my shorts and tee shirt to see black bears in Jan. and Feb., the non-hibernating kind. I look forward to the days when it doesn't top 90 F outside. Then there is always the change of season from summer to the dreaded tourist season!
Old 10-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #6
Sous Chef

It's hard to think about hearty foods. It's only 9:00 am here, and it's already up to 80 degrees outside. By supper time, we'll be looking for something light & cool.

Fruit - salads - grilled fish & chicken. I don't even want to think about turning on the oven! Maybe I'll make some homemade pasta.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:02 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
It's hard to think about hearty foods. It's only 9:00 am here, and it's already up to 80 degrees outside. By supper time, we'll be looking for something light & cool.

Fruit - salads - grilled fish & chicken. I don't even want to think about turning on the oven! Maybe I'll make some homemade pasta.
And this is why I love living in New England. Our seasons are right on time. Even Indian Summer. We should be getting that in a week or two. Leaves are starting to change. Sure it is 48F., but I can live with that. Time to get out the warm coat.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:06 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
And this is why I love living in New England. Our seasons are right on time. Even Indian Summer. We should be getting that in a week or two. Leaves are starting to change. Sure it is 48F., but I can live with that. Time to get out the warm coat.
Yep. Fall is my favorite season, and it would be perfect if it didn't lead to winter. But winter isn't so bad after living 2 years where there were no seasons except dry and wet (comfortable season and way too hot season, as it turned out for me).

One of the things I missed most in the Bahamas was seasons. There was no soup season, and that is where we are now. Yesterday it was windy and cool, we had a good thunderstorm about midnight with a half inch of rain, now its only about 45 and still windy. A bowl of soup and a couple of slices of good bread will be supper tonight - YUM!!
Old 10-04-2015, 04:48 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

For me, it was First of Socks day Oct. 1st.

Each year, I notice when I'm first compelled to wear socks. It almost always comes in October, but not this early!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:53 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

This is Fall in New England. The leaves change color from green to all of the glorious colors of the rainbow. Thousands of thousands visitors come here in the Fall just to see the foliage. We call them Leaf Peepers.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...w=1280&bih=874

This is New England in the Fall.