"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Hi Carol I think that I give up on trying to fry it and will give a try to put it in the oven do you have a recommendation for a good recipe?

Old 10-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowersa View Post
Hi Carol I think that I give up on trying to fry it and will give a try to put it in the oven do you have a recommendation for a good recipe?

I have never made this so I don't have a recipe, but if you google "cook an egg inside an avacado" you will get a long list of them. Pick which one sounds best to you.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Ok...I gotta say my egg in an avocado was pretty darned good. The video calls for what I consider to a very long cooking time. 2 minutes on one side and five minutes on the other? Seven minutes total is, IMHO, way too long to cook a fried egg, unless I don't understand the term medium-high heat. I cooked the egg about 3 minutes total. Minute and a half on one side, minute and a half on the other. Egg was just past over light, still soft in the middle but not runny.
The avocado with the egg was mighty tasty. Matter of fact, I am gonna go cook another right now.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

BTW, I omitted the step calling for trimming a portion on the avocado out.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I trust your judgement, Hoot, and the next time I have avacados I'm going to try this, because I also love eggs.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

My mouth could not detect any bitterness at all in the avocado. I hesitate to over cook anything but I suspect over cooking of the avocado might be where the bitterness comes from. I reckon I should cook the avocado longer to see if, in fact, it does become bitter.
I will let y'all know in a few minutes.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

OK....I cooked a slice of avocado to what I perceived to be a similar level of doneness shown in the video. No bitterness, just a nice round flavor.
Note: This photo was taken with my cell phone...I gotta get me a real camera one of these days.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I made this for breakfast the other day. It was quite tasty. I did not find the avocado to be bitter. The ones I used were a bit overripe so did not hold up as well as the ones he used:

Eggs in Avocado with Tomato and Basil Recipe - Michael Symon - The Chew
Old 10-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

I will check it Carol

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I have never made this so I don't have a recipe, but if you google "cook an egg inside an avacado" you will get a long list of them. Pick which one sounds best to you.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

It looks good Hoot I see that you fried it with the peel on it so it might had took some time to fry it? I fried it free-peel so now we know that was a bad idea what spices did you add?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
OK....I cooked a slice of avocado to what I perceived to be a similar level of doneness shown in the video. No bitterness, just a nice round flavor.
Note: This photo was taken with my cell phone...I gotta get me a real camera one of these days.

Tags
avocado, egg