Avocado with egg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made this for breakfast the other day. It was quite tasty. I did not find the avocado to be bitter. The ones I used were a bit overripe so did not hold up as well as the ones he used:

Eggs in Avocado with Tomato and Basil Recipe - Michael Symon - The Chew

These pictures really look good! I noticed that the original recipe said to turn the avacado and egg halfway through, and your recipe said to cook the avacado on one side and then turn it over and then crack the egg into it and put a lid on it. That would alleviate the problem of turning it over and having it fall apart, but I think turning it might cook the egg more to my liking. I will try it both ways, but not today. I have only bought avacados a couple times because I don't know how to tell if they are ripe and ready. One time I cut one open and it was hard as a rock. Sometimes in the store they are already mushy to the touch.

Way to take one for the team, Hoot :chef:
Good pic, too.

I've grilled avocados, leaving them on the grill long enough to turn the skin a different color (then you know it is warmed through) and they also were not bitter. I'm thinking the bitterness is avocado related and not method related. As in some levels of ripeness might be better suited to cooking, but I'm not an avocado aficionado either ;)

I stand corrected on the topic of bitterness in cooked avocados. Back in 2006, I had asked about a lack of recipes that involved cooking avocados and was referred to a cookbook that stated they got bitter when cooked. Another post stated they got bitter when exposed to "excessive" heat. So I assumed that to be the case. Here's that thread: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f30/avocado-questions-27767.html

I had an extra avo last week and mashed it with sour cream, lemon juice, salt and pepper. It was delicious with crackers.

These pictures really look good! I noticed that the original recipe said to turn the avacado and egg halfway through, and your recipe said to cook the avacado on one side and then turn it over and then crack the egg into it and put a lid on it. That would alleviate the problem of turning it over and having it fall apart, but I think turning it might cook the egg more to my liking. I will try it both ways, but not today. I have only bought avacados a couple times because I don't know how to tell if they are ripe and ready. One time I cut one open and it was hard as a rock. Sometimes in the store they are already mushy to the touch.

Hold the avocado in the palm of your hand, give a very gentle squeeze, it should give a little...those are ready today. Others are ready for tomorrow or the next day. I can buy a bag of 6 at Costco and have them come ready for the next six days. It is somewhat of an art, but practice makes perfect. Yum, fun and good way to practice.

The only problem with avocados here is, I have to share them with the Ogre:rolleyes:

Myrtle: Look the Big Chicken has a big green egg.

Henny Penny: It's our egg, it's our egg...get it, get it.

Myrtle: No, it's her egg...CHARGE!!!

Henny Penny: It's time for our revenge, take her EGG!!!!

The original recipe said to cut out some extra avacado to make the hole bigger, which Hoot said he didn't do, but in the picture, it looked like the yolk was inside the hole but some of the white had spilled out around the avacado and just cooked where it landed.

The slice in the photo I posted doesn't have any egg in it. It was a slice I made after using two previous slices to cook a couple of eggs. That slice in the picture has a very thin piece of the bottom of the hole left by the pit. It was about a quarter inch thick. It was just an experiment to cook a slice of avocado to see if cooking it longer resulted in a bitter flavor, which it didn't. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Thanks Carol I will re try it and let you know how things turned out...

The original recipe said to cut out some extra avacado to make the hole bigger, which Hoot said he didn't do, but in the picture, it looked like the yolk was inside the hole but some of the white had spilled out around the avacado and just cooked where it landed.

When I made the recipe from The Chew, I did hollow out more of the cavity than where the pit was (I used a grapefruit spoon). It worked fine for me--not super large avocados, but what I had on hand--the eggs cooked the way I like them. I selected smaller eggs--didn't use Myrtle or Harriet's eggs for this breakfast. Their eggs are XXL.

I don't know what am I doing wrong can't get the egg to be fried inside the avocado with the peel on it

I don't know what am I doing wrong can't get the egg to be fried inside the avocado with the peel on it

There are 2 things you can do. Make sure you are slicing the avacado about a half inch thick. Break the egg into the hole. You can cook it for about 3 minutes and then turn it with a spatula. Or you can put the slice of avacado in the pan by itself, without the egg and cook one side of it. After you turn it over to cook the other side, break the egg into the hole and then put a lid over it. The steam will cook the egg. This will eliminate the problem of turning it over. Depending on how big the hole is, some of the egg white may spill out into the pan. According to the picture, that's ok.

Hi Carol sorry for my ignorance but should I remove the peel from the bottom? I tried to slice it before and its taste turned to be quite bitter I think that I'm giving up...

Hi Carol sorry for my ignorance but should I remove the peel from the bottom? I tried to slice it before and its taste turned to be quite bitter I think that I'm giving up...

The avacado should be sliced with the peel attached. When you put the slice of avacado in the pan, you should be able to see the pan through the hole, and also the peel going around the flesh. I have not tried it yet, but when Hoot cooked his, he said it was not bitter. I don't know what could be causing the bitterness for you.

I've never heard of leaving the peel on an avocado if you are cooking it. I know CarolPa's recipe says to leave it on, but I would think that is what causes a bitter taste. I've made California omelets for years (the avo/bacon/jack cheese kind, but I've switched up the cheeses depending on what I have) and I've never had a bad one. The avo isn't really cooked, but I pop mine under the broiler with a bit of cheese on top until the cheese melts.

Wanted to try this Avocado Egg-in-a-Hole but the avo I had was too ripe. Might try as soon as the Big Green Eggs go on sale.

Back
Top Bottom