"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

The slice in the photo I posted doesn't have any egg in it. It was a slice I made after using two previous slices to cook a couple of eggs. That slice in the picture has a very thin piece of the bottom of the hole left by the pit. It was about a quarter inch thick. It was just an experiment to cook a slice of avocado to see if cooking it longer resulted in a bitter flavor, which it didn't. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Hoot, I realize your picture didn't have any egg in it, but in the picture I posted that I got off the internet it appeared that the yolk was inside the avacado and the white had run out and cooked around the outside of the avacado.

Avocado Fried Egg - Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes - Cooking Stoned

Old 10-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

Thanks Carol I will re try it and let you know how things turned out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
The original recipe said to cut out some extra avacado to make the hole bigger, which Hoot said he didn't do, but in the picture, it looked like the yolk was inside the hole but some of the white had spilled out around the avacado and just cooked where it landed.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

When I made the recipe from The Chew, I did hollow out more of the cavity than where the pit was (I used a grapefruit spoon). It worked fine for me--not super large avocados, but what I had on hand--the eggs cooked the way I like them. I selected smaller eggs--didn't use Myrtle or Harriet's eggs for this breakfast. Their eggs are XXL.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #35
Executive Chef

I did buy an avacado yesterday to try this but it is still hard as a rock. I will check it daily.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #36
Assistant Cook

I don't know what am I doing wrong can't get the egg to be fried inside the avocado with the peel on it
Old 10-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowersa View Post
I don't know what am I doing wrong can't get the egg to be fried inside the avocado with the peel on it

There are 2 things you can do. Make sure you are slicing the avacado about a half inch thick. Break the egg into the hole. You can cook it for about 3 minutes and then turn it with a spatula. Or you can put the slice of avacado in the pan by itself, without the egg and cook one side of it. After you turn it over to cook the other side, break the egg into the hole and then put a lid over it. The steam will cook the egg. This will eliminate the problem of turning it over. Depending on how big the hole is, some of the egg white may spill out into the pan. According to the picture, that's ok.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #38
Assistant Cook

Hi Carol sorry for my ignorance but should I remove the peel from the bottom? I tried to slice it before and its taste turned to be quite bitter I think that I'm giving up...
Old 10-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowersa View Post
Hi Carol sorry for my ignorance but should I remove the peel from the bottom? I tried to slice it before and its taste turned to be quite bitter I think that I'm giving up...

The avacado should be sliced with the peel attached. When you put the slice of avacado in the pan, you should be able to see the pan through the hole, and also the peel going around the flesh. I have not tried it yet, but when Hoot cooked his, he said it was not bitter. I don't know what could be causing the bitterness for you.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:11 AM   #40
Master Chef

I've never heard of leaving the peel on an avocado if you are cooking it. I know CarolPa's recipe says to leave it on, but I would think that is what causes a bitter taste. I've made California omelets for years (the avo/bacon/jack cheese kind, but I've switched up the cheeses depending on what I have) and I've never had a bad one. The avo isn't really cooked, but I pop mine under the broiler with a bit of cheese on top until the cheese melts.

Wanted to try this Avocado Egg-in-a-Hole but the avo I had was too ripe. Might try as soon as the Big Green Eggs go on sale.

Tags
avocado, egg