Avocado with egg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would like to say that this is NOT my recipe. I never heard of this until Flowersa brought up the subject and posted the video of the recipe that she was attempting to make. Hoot actually made the recipe and said his did not turn out bitter, but very delicious. I was just trying to help Flowersa with the recipe based on the video and recipe she presented. I think the purpose of leaving the peel on is to add support to the avacado/egg when you try to flip it over in the pan.

I would like to say that this is NOT my recipe. I never heard of this until Flowersa brought up the subject and posted the video of the recipe that she was attempting to make.....
Didn't mean to imply that you CREATED the recipe. Probably should have said it was a recipe you posted the link to. Sorry. Still friends? :flowers:

Didn't mean to imply that you CREATED the recipe. Probably should have said it was a recipe you posted the link to. Sorry. Still friends? :flowers:

Oh, we were never NOT friends. I just copied the link that the original poster posted and didn't want to lamed for any incorrect information.

My avacado finally got ripe enough for this. I cut a slice of avacado, browned it in a little butter, turned it over and cracked the egg into the hole. As I expected, the yolk went into the hole and the whites ran out. I put a lid on the pan and cooked until the whites were no longer runny. It was delicious. It had no bitter taste. I would do this again.

I took a picture, but can't figure out how to get it into my post.

Last edited:
So basically it's a bullseye, or an egg in a hole, or toad in the hole, or egg in a frame, or any of the other names for an egg cooked in a hole, but instead of bread you use an avocado. Boy, this opens up all kinds of possibilities.

Hi Carol so basically I did get the slices into the pan with the egg on it I really have no idea by now what might give it a bitter taste... the avocados are all fine when I eat them I will forget about it thanks in any case.

The avacado should be sliced with the peel attached. When you put the slice of avacado in the pan, you should be able to see the pan through the hole, and also the peel going around the flesh. I have not tried it yet, but when Hoot cooked his, he said it was not bitter. I don't know what could be causing the bitterness for you.

I'm glad it went all fine for you you're a lucky one I guess me and cooking not going hand in hand but I still try other things if you can get the pic of the result it would be nice to see :chef:

My avacado finally got ripe enough for this. I cut a slice of avacado, browned it in a little butter, turned it over and cracked the egg into the hole. As I expected, the yolk went into the hole and the whites ran out. I put a lid on the pan and cooked until the whites were no longer runny. It was delicious. It had no bitter taste. I would do this again.

I took a picture, but can't figure out how to get it into my post.

I'm glad it went all fine for you you're a lucky one I guess me and cooking not going hand in hand but I still try other things if you can get the pic of the result it would be nice to see :chef:

And I would love to show it, but I don't know how.

I can give it a try in explaining you but please don't bother if it doesn't work out. You should first upload your image to a server, usually using an uploading free site for images, when it is uploaded you should take the link and click on the photo image in the bar here, then it's ready to be seen here, I hope that helps.

Last edited:
If you know where to find the picture in your file system it's not hard. When you have the window open for posting, there should be a picture of a paper clip in the top row. Click it. Then another window opens. Click "browse", and find your picture. Click "upoad". Leave that window open until you see the file name.

Ok, we'll see if it worked. OMG I actually did it! LOL Thanks Taxlady It's a little dark, and I either needed a bigger avacado or a smaller egg. But it was delicious and I can't wait to have another one.

Attachments

• avacado with egg 001.jpg
    avacado with egg 001.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
I made this again this morning with one change. I cut the avacado in half, removed the pit, PEELED it, then sliced off one slice. I had to be more careful frying it without the peel. I fried it in a little butter until nicely browned, carefully turned it over, cracked the egg into the hole and then covered it with a lid. I liked this so much better because you could eat it without having to work around the peel. My egg still covered most of the avacado like it did last time, but it was soooo delicious, the little taste of avacado with each bite of egg. The rest of the avacado I mashed and made into a little bowl of guacamole for later.

Has anyone ever used those other green avacados? Can they be used in the same way as the black ones? They are much bigger, but I heard that the pit is huge, also.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom